MLB | One-Stop Major League Baseball Thread for all teams, topics

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 118
  • Views: 1K
  • Sports 
Well crap. Couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Vinnie Pasquantino has broken thumb, will miss 6-8 weeks​

The Royals announced today that first baseman Vinnie Pasquantino has a broken thumb and will miss 6-8 weeks. He sustained the injury when a throw from Lucas Erceg led him into a collision with baserunner Yainer Diaz in last night’s game against the Astros. Pasquantino immediately fell to the ground in pain and exited the game. The 26-year-old is hitting .262/.315/.446 with 19 home runs and is third in the American League with 97 RBI. The Royals announced that more tests will be done, but a timeline of 6-8 weeks likely ends his season.

Can one of my "Field of Dreams" trips to New Comiskey Park ... uh ... U.S. Cellular Field ... uh ... Guarantee Rate Park be far away?

I remember visiting Old Comiskey back in 1990. I LOVED the place - maybe one of my favorite ballpark visits. I saw a double header against Texas. Nolan Ryan finished his game with 300 wins. Of course he had 300 wins going into the game. Nancy Faust, organist, was the hero. I remember her versions of "The Gambler" when Kenny Rogers went out to pitch and of "Walk on the Wild Side" when a pitcher got wild.

I remember the chatter before Comiskey closed about how bad the neighborhood was and how the Sox should move. Then, they built a new stadium right next to the old one. So much for the "bad neighborhood" argument, huh?

New Comiskey is a decent park; easy access by highway and metro. The surrounding neighborhood use to be really rough, but gentrification over the last 20 years have changed the area particularly the area to the north of the park (South Loop, Chinatown, Near South Side). The areas to the south are still pretty rough (except for Hyde Park).

The problem is that they're not as beloved as the Cubs, which has a firm grip on the richer parts of the metro area which creates all sorts of revenue streams. The Sox persona has always been south side (something they have embrace over the years), which is more working class, but they still generate plenty of money. Product on the field the last few years leaves a lot to be desired.

First MLB game I ever went to was old Comiskey (also in 1990). I went to the new Sox stadium two years ago...was lucky to go to the owner's suite.

Well crap. Couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Vinnie Pasquantino has broken thumb, will miss 6-8 weeks​

The Royals announced today that first baseman Vinnie Pasquantino has a broken thumb and will miss 6-8 weeks. He sustained the injury when a throw from Lucas Erceg led him into a collision with baserunner Yainer Diaz in last night’s game against the Astros. Pasquantino immediately fell to the ground in pain and exited the game. The 26-year-old is hitting .262/.315/.446 with 19 home runs and is third in the American League with 97 RBI. The Royals announced that more tests will be done, but a timeline of 6-8 weeks likely ends his season.
He has been on fire lately. I hate that for him and the Royals but I’m a Cleveland fan, so….

He has been on fire lately. I hate that for him and the Royals but I’m a Cleveland fan, so….
Losing Vinnie has sucked the life out of the whole team. Went all season only getting swept once and a single four game losing streak, but have now lost seven in a row and can't get a win to save their life. Hopefully Boston will continue to suck and the Royals can hold on to the last wild card spot.

Starting pitching is looking worn out and the bullpen just plain sucks. Think they have three or four starters that passed their career highs in innings pitched over the last two weeks.

Wanting to watch some baseball tonight. TBS has Baltimore v Boston. It is blocked in my area - Raleigh. Why? So damn dumb.

The Royals are starting a brutal 20 game stretch of baseball tonight that could make or break their season.

3v PHI
4@ CLE
4@ HOU
3v CLE
3v MIN
3@ NYY

I'd take .500 over this stretch all day but doubt that happens.
The Royals somehow came out of this 20 game stretch 9-11 after losing Vinnie Pasquantino and a 7 game losing streak mixed in there. Could/should have moved it to 10-10 last night against the Yankees but went 0-11 with RISP and lost 4-3 in 11 innings.

In a game that eliminated them from playoff contention

“The catcher apparently told teammates that he wanted the season to be finished, according to ESPN.”

Lol honest at least
I don't blame him. They have way too many games, especially MLB. Even the players are getting bored.

This weekend could make or break the Braves’ playoff chances. Braves host the Dodgers while the Mets are at the Phillies …

This weekend could make or break the Braves’ playoff chances. Braves host the Dodgers while the Mets are at the Phillies …
Perhaps. It may come down to the final 3 games vs KC - which is also playing for their own playoff lives for the last WC berth in the AL. Braves need to split with LA and take 2 of 3 from Mets... and then hopefully win 5 - or all 6 - of the 6 remaining games vs inferior opponents.

Tbh kind of hoping the Dodgers just give the Braves the Old Yeller treatment this weekend. It's time to end the pain that has been this season.

In all seriousness, given the most injury riddled season in franchise history (including a top 3 pitcher in the sport, a top 3 position player in the sport, a top ten reliever in the sport, and a number of other regulars), a season where every regular in the lineup but one has underperformed career averages significantly (when healthy), AND a season in which the Braves have has the worst batted ball luck in the league by a mile (massive deltas on both expected average and slugging), it's a testament to the outrageous pitching that they are even alive for a postseason birth.

There are glimmers of hope: the Braves have the best record in the NL and second in the MLB against current playoff teams. The pitching is clearly good enough to go deep in October, and if Riley/Albies could come back for the playoffs there's a path to making a run. That said...it doesn't feel likely given everything that has gone wrong to this point.

Tbh kind of hoping the Dodgers just give the Braves the Old Yeller treatment this weekend. It's time to end the pain that has been this season.

In all seriousness, given the most injury riddled season in franchise history (including a top 3 pitcher in the sport, a top 3 position player in the sport, a top ten reliever in the sport, and a number of other regulars), a season where every regular in the lineup but one has underperformed career averages significantly (when healthy), AND a season in which the Braves have has the worst batted ball luck in the league by a mile (massive deltas on both expected average and slugging), it's a testament to the outrageous pitching that they are even alive for a postseason birth.

There are glimmers of hope: the Braves have the best record in the NL and second in the MLB against current playoff teams. The pitching is clearly good enough to go deep in October, and if Riley/Albies could come back for the playoffs there's a path to making a run. That said...it doesn't feel likely given everything that has gone wrong to this point.
Get in and get hot. Braves fans know better than most that this is the formula for postseason baseball.

I don't blame him. They have way too many games, especially MLB. Even the players are getting bored.
Yeah if a minor leaguer fighting for his livelihood feels this way he’s in the wrong business.
So many guys who would give their left nut to be playing baseball for a living.

Get in and get hot. Braves fans know better than most that this is the formula for postseason baseball.
Yep, that would be the goal. It just feels incredibly unlikely at this stage. Even in 2021, which was objectively the worst roster the Braves have had since 2018/2019, the hot streak started in August. But...you don't have to squint to hard to see it.
  • Sale, Fried, Schwellenbach, Morton (unless Lopez can get back, which I don't expect) is as good of a postseason rotation as anyone has.
  • Even with just Ozuna/Olson, that's as good of a top two bats anyone has.
  • If you could get Riley/Albies back, you can go something like Harris-Albies-Ozuna-Riley-Olson-Soler-Catcher-Laureano-Arcia. A little bit of statistical regression to look more like 2023 than 2024 (or even just somewhere in between) and suddenly you have a top tier lineup.
  • Have had the best (or second best after Clase) closer in baseball all year and a very solid bullpen.
That's a team that can make some noise. But it's also a team that has to be close to 50/50 odds to make it into the postseason right now.

Perhaps. It may come down to the final 3 games vs KC - which is also playing for their own playoff lives for the last WC berth in the AL. Braves need to split with LA and take 2 of 3 from Mets... and then hopefully win 5 - or all 6 - of the 6 remaining games vs inferior opponents.
Hey, who are you calling inferior? The Royals have a .544 winning percentage and the Braves have a .541 winning percentage. ;)

The Royals are currently in the second wild card spot with a 95.3% chance of making the playoffs and I'm still as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs about them actually making it in. I want that second WC spot to avoid having to play Houston (most likely).

Being a Royals fan, I haven't had to pay any attention to meaningful baseball at the end of a season since 2015 and was wondering if it's odd or something new for an American League team (Royals) to end their season against three National League teams (Pitt Wash Atl)?

He's not including the Royals with that comment. The six games against inferior opponents are the ones against the Marlins and Reds.
Yeah, I wasn't at all serious with that and that's why I put the wink emoji at the end. But I could definitely see how it might be seen as serious.

Back