MLB | One-Stop Major League Baseball Thread for all teams, topics

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 118
  • Views: 1K
  • Sports 
Is Bobby Witt Jr the best player in baseball? He plays a premium defensive position at the highest level, is a terror on the base pads and his bat is elite. Saw an article the other day that suggested Kauffman Stadium might cost Witt the MVP because it's so spacious and that he'd be projected to already be at 35 home runs if he played in almost any other stadium.

If you were starting a franchise right now, who would you start it with?
He’s behind Judge and Ohtani, imo.

Judge is a great power hitter, but I wouldn’t rate him that highly among the greatest current players overall. His skill set is very specific.
You’d be really wrong.

He plays CF.

He’s batting .333.

He does everything well.

Judge is a great power hitter, but I wouldn’t rate him that highly among the greatest current players overall. His skill set is very specific.
Judge hits for power and average (he may win the Triple Crown). He also fields well, and has one of the best arms in the game.

Anybody watch the Greg Maddux documentary on MLB Network last night? Several stories that I had never heard before and a fascinating pitch by pitch breakdown of Maddux vs Bonds thought processes when facing one another.

The Royals are starting a brutal 20 game stretch of baseball tonight that could make or break their season.

3v PHI
4@ CLE
4@ HOU
3v CLE
3v MIN
3@ NYY

I'd take .500 over this stretch all day but doubt that happens.
Not a great start to that 20 game meat grinder. Lost the series to PHI 1-2 and got out scored 26-12.

Have to take care of business vs Cleveland.

I just saw this tidbit on my daily trivia calendar:

"MLB umpires are required to wear black underwear in case they split their pants."

Not a great start to that 20 game meat grinder. Lost the series to PHI 1-2 and got out scored 26-12.

Have to take care of business vs Cleveland.
Well, they took two from the Guards yesterday. 😤

Judge hits for power and average (he may win the Triple Crown). He also fields well, and has one of the best arms in the game.
He's a slightly below average CF. So let's not make him into Andruw Jones out there. But the fact that he can play CF credibly pretty much defeats the idea that he's a one-dimensional player.

In 2022, when he was MVP, he led the league in WAR and it was close between him and Ohtani (within the margin of error, I'd say). But he was almost 4 WAR better than the 3rd place guy, Alvarez. I don't really get into WAR until seasons are over and all the data comes in, but this year is looking like a repeat, and with Ohtani in the NL, I expect that he will have a similar lead over #2 as he did over #3 two years ago.

If Trout was healthy, he would arguably be better than Judge but Trout has become a part-time player.

Well, they took two from the Guards yesterday. 😤
I'll take the win last night but when Witt got hit on the hand and they zoomed in on it while the trainer was looking at it and it was quivering really bad, my stomach dropped. Glad he was able to stay in the game and get a hit. Just hope it's not something that's going to mess with his swing.... for an extended period of time.

Anybody watch the Greg Maddux documentary on MLB Network last night? Several stories that I had never heard before and a fascinating pitch by pitch breakdown of Maddux vs Bonds thought processes when facing one another.
I had seen a bunch of clips on Instagram, thought to myself "I need to set my DVR," and promptly forgot to do so. Hope it is replayed.

Rumors swirling that they want to move the team somewhere else (Nashville?).

Team has been badly mismanaged.
Can one of my "Field of Dreams" trips to New Comiskey Park ... uh ... U.S. Cellular Field ... uh ... Guarantee Rate Park be far away?

I remember visiting Old Comiskey back in 1990. I LOVED the place - maybe one of my favorite ballpark visits. I saw a double header against Texas. Nolan Ryan finished his game with 300 wins. Of course he had 300 wins going into the game. Nancy Faust, organist, was the hero. I remember her versions of "The Gambler" when Kenny Rogers went out to pitch and of "Walk on the Wild Side" when a pitcher got wild.

I remember the chatter before Comiskey closed about how bad the neighborhood was and how the Sox should move. Then, they built a new stadium right next to the old one. So much for the "bad neighborhood" argument, huh?

Back