MLB | One-Stop Major League Baseball Thread for all teams, topics

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 118
  • Views: 1K
  • Sports 
Cleveland comes back down 5-2 in the 7th to win 7-5 vs KC to avoid being swept while keeping the lead in the AL Central.

Not to pour salt in the wound.

How in the Heck Is a Rotation This Good Going To Miss the Postseason?

I'm just now seeing this.

The short answer is that ownership is cheap and refuse to put up any extra money this off-season to help make the offense even decent. The pitching is great, but the FO just moved the deck chairs around on the Titanic on offense this off-season.

Excellent! Long time season ticket holder here. Tough season with the injuries but let's grab a wild card and try and make some noise in the playoffs.
A number of folks on IC indicate they're attending the Twins game tonight before out game with the Gophers tomorrow.
Awesome!! I've been around long enough to remember Dale Murphy as a catcher. Did you watch the Maddux documentary the other night on MLB?

He's a slightly below average CF. So let's not make him into Andruw Jones out there. But the fact that he can play CF credibly pretty much defeats the idea that he's a one-dimensional player.

In 2022, when he was MVP, he led the league in WAR and it was close between him and Ohtani (within the margin of error, I'd say). But he was almost 4 WAR better than the 3rd place guy, Alvarez. I don't really get into WAR until seasons are over and all the data comes in, but this year is looking like a repeat, and with Ohtani in the NL, I expect that he will have a similar lead over #2 as he did over #3 two years ago.

If Trout was healthy, he would arguably be better than Judge but Trout has become a part-time player.
Actually, Judge is on pace to have one of the truly greatest offensive seasons in history - certainly the best since the Bonds peak in the early 2000's. I realize you don't get into WAR until the season is over, but it's still quite noteworthy that Judge has already posted 10.0 Offensive WAR before the end of August. If he keeps up his current seasonal pace, he will end up with a 12.1-12.2 Offensive WAR (which would be 3rd or 4th all-time) and 11.0-11.1 Offensive War/648 Plate Appearances (which would be in the top 15 all-time).

Trout has never had an offensive season close to the one Judge is having. Even if we factor in defense, Judge is still on pace to surpass Trout's best seasons - not just in total WAR, but in WAR per plate appearance Still over a month of games left, though, so you never know what may happen.

Cleveland comes back down 5-2 in the 7th to win 7-5 vs KC to avoid being swept while keeping the lead in the AL Central.
It was nice being in first place for several hours at the end of August. If you had told me at the beginning of the year that the Royals would be tied for first place on August 28th, I would have laughed in your face and called you delusional.

White Sox now 31-103 after losing both ends of a doubleheader last night. They were down 4-3 and had bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth, but couldn't cash in.

With a .231 winning percentage, they're on pace to be the worst MLB team since the infamous 1899 Cleveland Spiders - who went 20-134 and will likely always be the gold standard of MLB futility.

They will have to go 8-20 the rest of the way to avoid having a worse record than the worst team of the 20th Century (and the worst American League team ever) - the 1916 Philadelphia Athletics, who went 36-117.

They will have to go 10-18 to avoid a worse record than the 1962 Mets - the worst MLB team since the 1930's.

Always rumours about NC getting a MLB team
I guess we can all now guess it will be the White sox moving here...............

Actually, Judge is on pace to have one of the truly greatest offensive seasons in history - certainly the best since the Bonds peak in the early 2000's. I realize you don't get into WAR until the season is over, but it's still quite noteworthy that Judge has already posted 10.0 Offensive WAR before the end of August. If he keeps up his current seasonal pace, he will end up with a 12.1-12.2 Offensive WAR (which would be 3rd or 4th all-time) and 11.0-11.1 Offensive War/648 Plate Appearances (which would be in the top 15 all-time).

Trout has never had an offensive season close to the one Judge is having. Even if we factor in defense, Judge is still on pace to surpass Trout's best seasons - not just in total WAR, but in WAR per plate appearance Still over a month of games left, though, so you never know what may happen.
Sure, but offense has gone up since Trout's glory years. If Trout was healthy, he might be putting up numbers like that. It's hard to say. I hear you about what Judge is doing. It's just that counterfactuals are impossible. Injuries suck.

Excellent! Long time season ticket holder here. Tough season with the injuries but let's grab a wild card and try and make some noise in the playoffs.
I know crazy things can happen in the playoffs (e.g. D-Backs last year), but when I look at the Braves' lineup, I just can't see it. We're running out three players every game who we picked up off the waiver wire because they weren't good enough for bad teams. Albies might be back for the playoffs but my understanding is that Riley is out for the year.

Sure, but offense has gone up since Trout's glory years. If Trout was healthy, he might be putting up numbers like that. It's hard to say. I hear you about what Judge is doing. It's just that counterfactuals are impossible. Injuries suck.
Are you sure offense has gone up?

Actually, offense in the AL is down a little, for the most part, since Trout's very best years. The AL is averaging 4.34 runs per game this year. In Trout's 3 best offensive seasons - 2012, 2013, 2016, and 2018 - the AL averaged 4.45, 4.33, 4.52 and 4.53 runs, respectively.

At any rate, WAR accounts for fluctuations in league offense, just like adjusted OPS(+) does. Trout's best OPS+ season was 198, in 2018. He was also at 194 in his very short, injury-riddled 2021 season. Judge is at 229 OPS+, which among the very best ever. Outside these last 2 years, Trout was consistently in the 170-190 range. And because Trout is not stealing bases near the rate he was early in his career, the chances of him putting up an overall offensive WAR like Judge is putting up this year is pretty slim. This is simply a special offensive season (thus far) he is having.

Last edited:
I was at the Yanks/Nats game last night.

Tough game for Judge: 1-3, RBI, walk, SB.

Back