Summer Olympics

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 758
  • Views: 10K
It’s going to be a waste either way as there’s no other use for a swimming pool that seats 25,000 spectators.

The SoFi stadium location for swimming is also the reason Track and Swimming schedules will be flipped, as SoFi will also be used for the Opening Ceremony.
The infrastructure for the competition pool and the warm-up pools is re-usable and transportable.

Has the swimming facility for the 1984 Olympics been filled with fans since 1984?

If 20-35,000 fans will attend swimming events in a huge stadium that has temporary pools and decks built in it, good for swimming.

IIRC they said the capacity will be 38,000. It will be interesting to see.
What will matter?

Is the pool fast? If it’s at least 10-feet (3 meters) deep with great gutters and “lane lines”, it’s good to go.

Engineers have figured out how to build temporary world-class pools.

Will the bean-counters says 2.15 meters is sufficient?

I didn’t mean interesting in that it would impact the swimming, just interesting to have a crowd that large if they’re able to fill all the seats.

I can just imagine some time traveller landing in Los Angeles in July 1996 and seeks out Snoop and Flava Flav. "I know this is gonna sound crazy, but one year from now 2Pac and Biggie are going to be dead and the East Coast West Coast beef will be out of control. The two of you need to pretend you don't know this and stay out of it. What you don't understand is your country needs you... to become the biggest patrons of the Olympics."

I didn’t mean interesting in that it would impact the swimming, just interesting to have a crowd that large if they’re able to fill all the seats.
Olympic Swimming is one of the MOST popular sports with American sports fans…..they’ll pack the swimming stadium to see events in real time.

Does that mean the track and Field events will be in the Coliseum?
Yes. Saw an interview with the head of LAOC who said they'd be spending around $100 million to reinstall a track which will require removal of a bunch of lower bowl rows and maybe even lowering the entire floor.

Yes. Saw an interview with the head of LAOC who said they'd be spending around $100 million to reinstall a track which will require removal of a bunch of lower bowl rows and maybe even lowering the entire floor.
I reckon that means NASCAR will have to find a different venue for its preseason race.

Amen

The United States produced 110 gold medals, according to my count. China had 68. The United States won 86 silver medals. China had 52. And the United States took home 94 bronze medals. China had 34.

Those totals are massive increases for the U.S. from three years ago at the Tokyo Games, from 99 golds and 252 total medals to 110 gold and 290 total.

Amen

The United States produced 110 gold medals, according to my count. China had 68. The United States won 86 silver medals. China had 52. And the United States took home 94 bronze medals. China had 34.

Those totals are massive increases for the U.S. from three years ago at the Tokyo Games, from 99 golds and 252 total medals to 110 gold and 290 total.
We may have even had a few more gold medals than that. In the relay races in track and swimming they give gold medals to the athletes who competed in the preliminary rounds even if they didn’t run in the finals. For instance, that 16 year old won a gold medal for the 4x400 relay.

I would be ok limiting to the actual size of the team (5 for basketball, 4 for relays etc). Obviously that would make soccer the big prize but that's probably fair since it is the most popular sport in the world.

If you give gold for alternates im sure China would put 50 on the diving and table tennis teams.

I LOVED these Olympics. Thought the US team did great. I can’t for the life of me figure out why people care about the medal count. We all know the Chinese cheat, just like the Soviets and Russians have always done. Sometimes it’s actual PED cheating. Sometimes it’s abusing young athletes to ensure they sweep the medals in some obscure sport like diving. Who cares? I mean, I feel terrible for the Chinese athletes who are nothing more than chess pieces for the CCP, but the number of gold medals they win relative to the US doesn’t concern me in the least. Just watch our athletes have the time of their lives and you’ll see the difference in our countries. That’s way more important than a medal count.

I LOVED these Olympics. Thought the US team did great. I can’t for the life of me figure out why people care about the medal count. We all know the Chinese cheat, just like the Soviets and Russians have always done. Sometimes it’s actual PED cheating. Sometimes it’s abusing young athletes to ensure they sweep the medals in some obscure sport like diving. Who cares? I mean, I feel terrible for the Chinese athletes who are nothing more than chess pieces for the CCP, but the number of gold medals they win relative to the US doesn’t concern me in the least. Just watch our athletes have the time of their lives and you’ll see the difference in our countries. That’s way more important than a medal count.
The East Germans were also cheating MFers. There was a "mysteries of the Abandoned" on TV of the old training facility and one of the rowers walked the cameras through the facility. I knew they cheated but didn't realize the extent.

The East Germans were also cheating MFers. There was a "mysteries of the Abandoned" on TV of the old training facility and one of the rowers walked the cameras through the facility. I knew they cheated but didn't realize the extent.
Yeah, I just lump that in with Soviet cheating. And I’m fully aware some Americans cheat too. Some American programs, like the Karolyi era gymnastics program, have been terribly abuse. But having all that sanctioned by the government takes it to another level of corruption. Still doesn’t make me care about the medal count though.

Yeah, I just lump that in with Soviet cheating. And I’m fully aware some Americans cheat too. Some American programs, like the Karolyi era gymnastics program, have been terribly abuse. But having all that sanctioned by the government takes it to another level of corruption. Still doesn’t make me care about the medal count though.
Fair point but the East Germans developed their cheating protocols independently of the Russians (though they were connected bc they did share their methods)

Yeah, Karoli and his wife were total pieces of shit.

In re Jordan Childs Bronze medal in the gymnastics, while the chief judge's obvious conflict of interest played a role and while blatantly ignoring that the US appeal was timely filed, I don't believe the IOC has any personal animus against Childs. I think this is just a simple matter of the IOC hating America and Childs just happened to the fulcrum on which the IOC placed its lever to overturn the results. Also, the IOC also probably intends for this to be an object lesson to others that objecting to the judges rigging the results will not go unpunished.

I don't entirely agree with team gold medals not being used in the aggregate.
Take some instances in swimming and track, where you can have one set of people in a relay that swim/run in the prelims, but not in the final. Yet they still get a medal if their team gets a medal. And what about if someone doesn't even play in the gold medal game (be it soccer, basketball, volleyball, etc.). Why should their medal count in the overall medal count?
A team gold is exactly that. A medal for the team. It shouldn't matter whether it is two people in table tennis, or 10 people in hoops. It should still simply count as one medal when it comes to overall country medal count.

Note that I think it is different to refer to someone getting 4 gold medals, even if two of those medals came as part of a relay. For whatever reason, that feels different to me.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I don't care about the medal count at all but, for reasons you outlined as well as others, there's really no comparison between the two countries. China excels in skill/technique/repetition events, but is non competitive against the US in actual athletic events and sports that people care about. Half of China's gold medals were in diving, table tennis, shooting, and canoeing. They had one gold in the Athletics category and that was in the 20km women's race walk.

Worrying about "winning" the medal count is stupid Cold War BS. The medal count means nothing for reasons that have been exhaustively documented. The great majority of the Olympic events are individual (or perhaps pairs) because that was the model according to which it was designed. It was supposed to be about athletes, not countries.

I'm not an expert on Olympics history by any means, but I think the first politicization of the Olympics was 1936 by Hitler's design. Then the Soviets picked up the idea that they could demonstrate the superiority of their system by winning medals. I guess it was good that they moved on from race? But the point is that the whole idea of country medal count was brought to us by some of the worst people in history.

Back