Summer Olympics

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 758
  • Views: 10K
Apparently flag football has some solid footing in Europe. I didn't know that.
Breaking looks like it wont return based on a BBC article I read

Baseball belongs and is competitive. Basketball is NOT competitive (US wins every time) and nobody wants to drop it.
Basketball seems pretty competitive to me. Give it 8 years when the NBA is 60% international players and it'll be even more competitive. It's not like diving where the competitiveness is going the other way.

Baseball has been there before - lots of countries play heavily (Asia and Latin America). I dont understand flag football. I mean do other countries play it? Or will this be a USA-only tournament by state?
Lacrosse...kind of the same. Didnt know it was that global.

also, kind of shocking to me that swimming will be in SoFi. The infrastructure to put in those pools just to tear them down seems freaking wasteful as hell.
It’s going to be a waste either way as there’s no other use for a swimming pool that seats 25,000 spectators.

The SoFi stadium location for swimming is also the reason Track and Swimming schedules will be flipped, as SoFi will also be used for the Opening Ceremony.

So new sports for 2028:

• Cricket
  • Baseball
  • Softball
  • Flag football (WOW!)
  • lacrosse
  • Squash
Super stoked to have Cricket included. It'll pick up a billion new fans of the Olympics in India alone. Plus it'll be nice to have someone explain the rules to America.

I'm all in on cricket, though I'm guessing that they will have to limit the duration. Aren't there some competitions that can last days (no fixed score limit), and others where they limit the overs or something?

I'm all in on cricket, though I'm guessing that they will have to limit the duration. Aren't there some competitions that can last days (no fixed score limit), and others where they limit the overs or something?
Super stoked to have Cricket included. It'll pick up a billion new fans of the Olympics in India alone. Plus it'll be nice to have someone explain the rules to America.
I wouldnt be too excited for Americans to learn cricket, even during the Olympics

I wouldnt be too excited for Americans to learn cricket, even during the Olympics
My ex-wife is from India and her family knows cricket. My son has a bunch of Indian friends and they play cricket, though I think it's informal and doesn't really follow any rules.

I have a pet theory that cricket and baseball are just similar enough that a person who knows one will invariably try to understand the other one through that lens. But they are so different that doing so only leads to confusion. But it's why people from cricket-playing countries frequently say they just can't grasp baseball, and Americans have trouble with cricket. I certainly find cricket counter-intuitive.

Baseball belongs and is competitive. Basketball is NOT competitive (US wins every time) and nobody wants to drop it.
1. The US has not won every time. The 1972 silver is famous. The US also won bronze in 1988 and again in 2004. So not counting 80 or 84, of the last 10 Olympics, the men's basketball team has won gold 7 times. I would not call that "not competitive."

2. I don't understand how one witnesses an Olympics in which a) the U.S. was down the entire semifinal game, only taking the lead with like 2 minutes to go and only won by 4, and b) a gold medal game in which the US was up by only 6 points with less than 2 minutes to play and then says the sport is not competitive.

The US won the 2020 gold medal game by 5 points; in 2016, the gold medal game was a blowout but the semifinal match was very close.

3. In four years, the best players from this squad will be aged out. Lebron ain't gonna be around. I doubt Curry will. Maybe Durant, maybe not. Meanwhile, Canada will have a more experienced Holmgren, SGA and Jamal Murray. France is going to have a 24 year old Wemby (who will likely be the best player in the world), plus a bunch of other young stars.

It would not surprise me if the French team is better than the U.S. in 2028.

1. The US has not won every time. The 1972 silver is famous. The US also won bronze in 1988 and again in 2004. So not counting 80 or 84, of the last 10 Olympics, the men's basketball team has won gold 7 times. I would not call that "not competitive."

2. I don't understand how one witnesses an Olympics in which a) the U.S. was down the entire semifinal game, only taking the lead with like 2 minutes to go and only won by 4, and b) a gold medal game in which the US was up by only 6 points with less than 2 minutes to play and then says the sport is not competitive.

The US won the 2020 gold medal game by 5 points; in 2016, the gold medal game was a blowout but the semifinal match was very close.

3. In four years, the best players from this squad will be aged out. Lebron ain't gonna be around. I doubt Curry will. Maybe Durant, maybe not. Meanwhile, Canada will have a more experienced Holmgren, SGA and Jamal Murray. France is going to have a 24 year old Wemby (who will likely be the best player in the world), plus a bunch of other young stars.

Won’t Holmgren be on the US team?

It's going to be a struggle for the USA to win the gold medal fight with China in LA. They are willing to do whatever is needed to increase their swimming medals to add to their near locks for diving, table tennis, shooting, weight lifting etc. They do lose boxing but we have a pretty big turnover in gymnastics and women's swimming coming.

Canada has RJ Barrett too

Arbitration panel says it won't reconsider the decision for Chiles to give back her medal. Won't even look at the evidence that the US team has about the inquiry being done on time.

Back