Summer Olympics

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 758
  • Views: 10K
Just think - that photo finish by Lyles in the 100 was the difference between us coming in first or second in the official medal table :)

2028 Olympics will be flipping the Swimming and Track&Field schedules. Track will take place week one, swimming in week two. I don’t love that.
I am OK with it as I want to watch more track and the second week is so crowded with all of the team tournaments (volleyball, basketball, water polo, handball, etc).

Thankfully, all those silvers did put us atop the medal table, since we were tied in golds.
And in the individual events, at least a few of those silvers were accompanied by golds, so not a case of near misses but of dominance.

The Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum is one of the most illustrious stadiums in the United States. Built in 1923, it serves as a living memorial to all who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War I. It is the home stadium for the USC Trojans football team, hosted the first Super Bowl, and was used in the 1932 and 1984 Olympic Games. In 2028, it will become the first venue in history to host the Track and Field competitions and the Opening Ceremony in three Olympic Games.

Looks like it. Swimming at SoFi. Track at the (renovated) Coliseum. Gymnastics at Crypto.com. Basketball at Intuit (the Clippers’ new arena in Inglewood. Golf at Riviera. Surfing at Huntington Beach (probably). Should be great.

It does look like both softball and whitewater will be in Oklahoma City, which seems a little odd, but probably better than building new venues LA doesn’t really need.

I can't imagine there isn't a proper softball venue somewhere in SoCal.

So new sports for 2028:

• Cricket
  • Baseball
  • Softball
  • Flag football (WOW!)
  • lacrosse
  • Squash

Last edited:
So new sports for 2028:

• Cricket
  • Baseball
  • Softball
  • Flag football (WOW!)
  • lacrosse
My thoughts: Cricket: No brainer, should have been included before now. Baseball: Just don't see the world-wide appeal. But the same thing could be said about basketball until the last couple of decades. Softball: A true women's team sport is a good idea. Flag football: No, just no. Lacrosse: Somewhat the same feeling as baseball, but more so. I think baseball and maybe lacrosse could become popular enough world-wide to justify their inclusion, but remains to be seen. Women's softball: A good idea, if fast-pitch. Men's softball: A bad idea, if slow-pitch.

Baseball has been there before - lots of countries play heavily (Asia and Latin America). I dont understand flag football. I mean do other countries play it? Or will this be a USA-only tournament by state?
Lacrosse...kind of the same. Didnt know it was that global.

also, kind of shocking to me that swimming will be in SoFi. The infrastructure to put in those pools just to tear them down seems freaking wasteful as hell.

Baseball has been there before - lots of countries play heavily (Asia and Latin America). I dont understand flag football. I mean do other countries play it? Or will this be a USA-only tournament by state?
Lacrosse...kind of the same. Didnt know it was that global.

also, kind of shocking to me that swimming will be in SoFi. The infrastructure to put in those pools just to tear them down seems freaking wasteful as hell.
I remember a cartoon from way back that showed a building being demolished. There was a sign in front of it stating, IIRC, "This building is being demolished to make way for a 40-story apartment building, which, immediately upon completion will be demolished to make way for a 60-story office building. So maybe SoFi will have sign saying, "This facility is being remodeled to include Olympic size swimming pools, which two weeks after completion will be removed to make way for the re-installation of a football field."

Back