The Foodie Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter TarSpiel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 261
  • Views: 3K
  • Off-Topic 

I'm tempted to buy the Masienda one given your semi-recommendation. But, I'm really tempted to splurge for the $319 marble mortar and pestle after watching these Michelin star chefs make it ha.

Thanks for the feedback.

Those look quite nice. Tbh, gives me an idea for a wedding gift I need coming up

84B3415F-F76E-4D85-B7F5-3FBB8600B0BE.jpeg
1614FFFE-6CCD-4A33-AC69-7E992B3D66D3.jpeg
0066CD46-3C79-454B-8CDF-2AF7BA6F1F07.jpeg

Purchased the all-clad deep fryer recently on-sale at Costco. I was without a proper deep fryer for about 3-4 years since tossing my old one

The self-cleaning function is a game changer imo. Cleaning was always the biggest pain to me with using these

I realized my wing consumption fell to almost zero since getting rid of my old fryer so broke the new one with some. Double fried in peanut oil after a butter milk brine

I've gotten really into pesto lately and apparently I've been missing out because I'm not using a mortar and pestle/molcajete.

I am one of those people who likes to buy the high end range of whatever when I am getting into something, which of course shows I have poor financial sense considering the student loans I still have that could purchase a 2020 Toyota Camry.

Anyone here make pesto via this method and can recommend an elbow grease vehicle? I'm a big fan of the website Serious Eats and the one they recommend for pesto is $319 ordered off Etsy, absurd, or a $100 molcajete which given I would use for decades isn't horrible but still pretty pricey..
Big fan of the mortar and pestle for pesto, but echoing another comment here, I use it all the time for guac and it always gets a lot of rave reviews.

Look up Kenji's guac recipe, it's fantastic

Purchased the all-clad deep fryer recently on-sale at Costco. I was without a proper deep fryer for about 3-4 years since tossing my old one

The self-cleaning function is a game changer imo. Cleaning was always the biggest pain to me with using these

I realized my wing consumption fell to almost zero since getting rid of my old fryer so broke the new one with some. Double fried in peanut oil after a butter milk brine
Beautiful

Looks good.

I agree clean up of fryers was always an issue.

Once I started smoking my wings, I've not had as much desire to fry.

Smoked chicken can be pretty good but not my favorite

I still haven't gotten too much into smoking in general. Only pork shoulder or ribs on occasion

Just made the Red Boat (fish sauce) Cookbook's Very Delicious Sauce over a bowl of Cantonese noodles, baby broccoli and shrimp for lunch today.

Excellent recipe, 5 stars for taste, but way too oily for my western palate. Half the oil next time.

ETA: Called for a quarter of a cup of garlic. Anyone have any tips on keeping the garlic from sticking to an sliding up your knife blade when you mince it? Or am I doomed to a lifetime of using my finger to scrape it back off again and again as I chop?

I usually just grate garlic with a microplane
Good idea in general, though this recipe was a fishsauce based garlic sauce. It called for lightly frying the minced garlic in oil. The Japanese microplane I have just makes a paste which wouldn't work for this recipe (part the visual appeal is the minced garlic nested in among the broccoli florettes).

But maybe there's a kind of microplane I don't know about that makes more chunky bits?

Good idea in general, though this recipe was a fishsauce based garlic sauce. It called for lightly frying the minced garlic in oil. The Japanese microplane I have just makes a paste which wouldn't work for this recipe (part the visual appeal is the minced garlic nested in among the broccoli florettes).

But maybe there's a kind of microplane I don't know about that makes more chunky bits?
Good point. I’m sure you can get box graters with varying hole sizes.

Good point. I’m sure you can get box graters with varying hole sizes.
Yeah, it's really not a huge problem.

I'm just self taught and I've always felt like maybe I was missing a trick in this area. If that's how everybody has to do it, I'm fine with that.

Just made the Red Boat (fish sauce) Cookbook's Very Delicious Sauce over a bowl of Cantonese noodles, baby broccoli and shrimp for lunch today.

Excellent recipe, 5 stars for taste, but way too oily for my western palate. Half the oil next time.

ETA: Called for a quarter of a cup of garlic. Anyone have any tips on keeping the garlic from sticking to a sliding up your knife blade when you mince it? Or am I doomed to a lifetime of using my finger to scrape it back off again and again as I chop?
Have you tried salting the garlic before mincing it?

I’ll cut it into smaller pieces, then salt it (the salt draws out water and the garlic sticks less), then mince it with a butcher/chef’s knife.

If the recipe calls for minced jalapeños or Thai or Serrano (or most any) pepper, mincing the garlic with the pepper also adds so much water that the garlic doesn’t adhere as much to the knife.

I’ll cut it into smaller pieces, then salt it (the salt draws out water and the garlic sticks less), then mince it with a butcher/chef’s knife.

If the recipe calls for minced jalapeños or Thai or Serrano (or most any) pepper, mincing the garlic with the pepper also adds so much water that the garlic doesn’t adhere as much to the knife.
The salt also helps to "cut" the garlic. Use coarse salt - the rough grains act as an abrasive, helping to break down the minced garlic. Definitely use coarse salt when making garlic "paste". But a better way to avoid the stickiness is to use a bit of olive oil

No, I haven’t. But I’m going to give it a try! Thanks.

I've never used an actual fryer. Do any of ya'll ever just deep fry in cast iron? Clean up is incredibly easy. Don't even have to reseason. But again, I've not deep fried this way, so I don't have anything to compare really.

Do any of ya'll ever just deep fry in cast iron?

I was frying in cast iron and enameled dutch ovens when I didn't have the DF. And I still might choose cast iron for certain things that don't require much oil

The issue for me is having an electric stove so it gets difficult to control heat with the burner cycling on/off. Even at the max setting it can be difficult to maintain enough heat when frying batches of something with a lot of mass like chicken pieces

Also enjoy the added benefit of being able to fry outdoors. Not a fan of the lingering smell and mess of frying indoors, even with good ventilation

I was frying in cast iron and enameled dutch ovens when I didn't have the DF. And I still might choose cast iron for certain things that don't require much oil

The issue for me is having an electric stove so it gets difficult to control heat with the burner cycling on/off. Even at the max setting it can be difficult to maintain enough heat when frying batches of something with a lot of mass like chicken pieces

Also enjoy the added benefit of being able to fry outdoors. Not a fan of the lingering smell and mess of frying indoors, even with good ventilation
As much as I deep fry in cast iron, I've never done wings. I've read that you need to cut edges of bone off first before frying. Is that true? Or can you just fry them as they are?

Back