The Music Thread

I don’t know it was Mitch Easter’s place until my freshman high school teacher (a former sound guy for Let’s Active) introduced me a couple of years later.
Me and my brother went to the Sara Romweber benefit at the Cradle last year, great lineup. Teasing the Korean (remember them?), Bad Checks (my fav when I was an undergrad) and, of course, Snatches of Pink. Dexter did an acoustic finale that carried out into the parking lot. Glad I got to give him a hug and tell him I loved him before we left. Sadly I attended his wake in Saxapahaw a few months later, although there really wasn't anything sad about it except that the man himself wasn't there. Talented family for sure. His brother Joe's band, UV Prom, although underheard and underappreciated, might've been the best of the bunch...

Bittersweet symphony is one of my all time favorite songs - I consider it to be the song of the 90s - overall my musical tastes shift depending on my mood - sometimes I want to listen to a lot of brit pop like oasis and stone roses - sometimes I want to listen to 60s rock like the Beatles, stones, bob Dylan - sometimes I want to listen to alt country like Uncle tupelo, son volt, Jayhawks
Did you know that they were sued by the Rolling Stones for sampling Stones music in the song Bittersweet Symphony?
I really like that song.

Absolutely my favorite Moody Blues album. Probably in my Top 25 favorite albums ever. Very surprised to see it on this thread.
My all time favorite band. Spent many a headphone hour listening. First saw them in Cameron 1970. Shame Mike didn't stay. TOCC my personal favorite. You can't beat the core 7.

Back before the web there were email list serves that acted as forums/message boards. I was a member of the Lost Chords. We'd meet in Vegas or Atlantic City for shows. It was a mix of old stoners and newer folk into the post Pinder/more pop days.

Last edited:
the crowd when they break it down. Something about Brasil crowds.

Last edited:
With the exception of gangsta rap, I love all genres.

my car current CD rotation (I'm old school ) is:

Big Pretty and the Red Rockets ( See What You Can Find )
Al di Meola John Mclaughlin Paco de Lucia ( live in San Francisco )
Barenaked Ladies ( Rock Spectacle )
Conway Twitty ( Silver Anniversary Collection )
The Iguanas ( Plastic Silver 9 Volt Heart )
Dash Riprock ( Boiled Alive )
Healthy rotation there. 😎

Classical.
WDAV Classical Public Radio is on my devices almost 24/7
I used to perform Early Music (Medieval and Baroque), so that's where my heart lives.
For later music, probably Dvorak and Brahms.
89.9 WDAV classical public radio is on my dial 24/7 and I donate regularly

Hearty additional endorsement for God is an Astronaut and This Will Destroy You. I have an algorithmic station built around those two, plus an amalgam of Explosions in the Sky, M83, Mogwai, We Lost the Sea, etc. I tend to need sound over silence to unspool the day's anxieties, and mask baseline tinnitus. The station based on the aforementioned artists gives me a wide range of sounds to neutralize my endogenous high pitched "EEEEEEE!", while mellow enough to help facilitate meditations.

If I listen to music with lyrics it tends to be obnoxiously pleading, e.g. Bon Iver, Horse Feathers, Daughter, and Guster.

Didn't listen to Kendrick Lamar's Mr. Morale when it first came out, but have been listening to it a lot lately. Rap ain't excatly my favorite genre, or even in my top 10, but Kendrick is just on a whole nother level. Amazing music.

Also, last year I made a playlist of every song on Bob Dylan's entire "Theme Time Radio Hour" series. You're welcome:

I love the discussion here on this delightful new message board! A few things:

**Someone mentioned Drivin n Cryin. What an outstanding band! Really important in the history of Southern alternative rock. A fascinating group. They had that brief commercial heyday with "Fly Me Courageous" -- I didn't love it, being more into their earlier stuff and feeling that record sounded too slick. But I think I was wrong. They were always hard rockers. And, you know, it's hard to make the perfect sounding record. They were going for a big rock sound -- and that was true to their whole thing.

Also, I later saw them in Spartanburg, SC -- at a low point for the band's popularity -- in 2003, I think, and maybe 50 people were there. Well, they played "Fly Me Courageous," and oh man....rocked like mad. I got it then. They also played "Scarred but Smarter, which also was amazing. I saw them in Asheville at the Grey Eagle last summer. They have kind of had this resurgence in appreciation, which I think is so cool. They had a solid crowd and put on a fabulous show. Truly top-notch rock and roll.

**I'm not a huge Jimmy Buffet fan, though I recognize his outstanding talent and his impact. Turns out, he played around the corner from my house when he was not yet well-known. There's a longtime Chinese restaurant on the east side of Spartanburg. There was apparently a little bar kind of in the basement of the place. Buffet was in town to play at Converse College (now University), and showed up at the little bar and sat in.

**I sort of see "Life's Rich Pageant" as REM's top record, though I don't necessarily feel strongly about it. I do think "Fall on Me" is a total masterpiece. My favorite song of theirs. LRP seems to blend their early murky/arty/folksy sound with a slightly bigger sound -- but not as big or radio-ready as later stuff, including "Document" -- and kind of best of both worlds, far as REM goes.

**I've been listening to a good bit of James McMurtry lately -- such an amazing songwriter and singer.

**Big fan of Vulgar Boatmen and Silos. Big fan of Nashville songwriter-rocker Tim Carroll.

**Raleigh-based Accelerators have not done much in a long while, but one of my favorite groups ever.

I love the discussion here on this delightful new message board! A few things:

**Someone mentioned Drivin n Cryin. What an outstanding band! Really important in the history of Southern alternative rock. A fascinating group. They had that brief commercial heyday with "Fly Me Courageous" -- I didn't love it, being more into their earlier stuff and feeling that record sounded too slick. But I think I was wrong. They were always hard rockers. And, you know, it's hard to make the perfect sounding record. They were going for a big rock sound -- and that was true to their whole thing.

Also, I later saw them in Spartanburg, SC -- at a low point for the band's popularity -- in 2003, I think, and maybe 50 people were there. Well, they played "Fly Me Courageous," and oh man....rocked like mad. I got it then. They also played "Scarred but Smarter, which also was amazing. I saw them in Asheville at the Grey Eagle last summer. They have kind of had this resurgence in appreciation, which I think is so cool. They had a solid crowd and put on a fabulous show. Truly top-notch rock and roll.

**I'm not a huge Jimmy Buffet fan, though I recognize his outstanding talent and his impact. Turns out, he played around the corner from my house when he was not yet well-known. There's a longtime Chinese restaurant on the east side of Spartanburg. There was apparently a little bar kind of in the basement of the place. Buffet was in town to play at Converse College (now University), and showed up at the little bar and sat in.

**I sort of see "Life's Rich Pageant" as REM's top record, though I don't necessarily feel strongly about it. I do think "Fall on Me" is a total masterpiece. My favorite song of theirs. LRP seems to blend their early murky/arty/folksy sound with a slightly bigger sound -- but not as big or radio-ready as later stuff, including "Document" -- and kind of best of both worlds, far as REM goes.

**I've been listening to a good bit of James McMurtry lately -- such an amazing songwriter and singer.

**Big fan of Vulgar Boatmen and Silos. Big fan of Nashville songwriter-rocker Tim Carroll.

**Raleigh-based Accelerators have not done much in a long while, but one of my favorite groups ever.
Speaking of Southern alternative bands that had a bit of commercial success. I went to high school with most of the guys from Jump Little Children and hung out with Ward and the Bivins brothers quite a bit. I remember the first time I heard "Cathedrals" on the radio and realized it was them. IIRC, they had a reunion and mini tour a few years back.

Back