The Music Thread

Does that mean you are also needing education about octets and nonets?

I wouldn't normally recommend the Peter Brotzmann Octet to most people, but then again, IIRC you dig Napalm Death . . . Not saying that you'll like Machine Gun but there's a chance

😁

So, not now. I knew what a quartet was, now that I have context an octet and nonet are understandable.

Interesting, good memory, I've not listened to Napalm Death since we had that discussion. My wife doesn't like any rock/hard music, and I mostly listen when she is in the truck. Therefore, I listen to a lot more Air Supply than Napalm Death now days. :oops:

When I'm driving alone, I most always listen to podcast or books, very seldom music.

😁

So, not now. I knew what a quartet was, now that I have context an octet and nonet are understandable.

Interesting, good memory, I've not listened to Napalm Death since we had that discussion. My wife doesn't like any rock/hard music, and I mostly listen when she is in the truck. Therefore, I listen to a lot more Air Supply than Napalm Death now days. :oops:

When I'm driving alone, I most always listen to podcast or books, very seldom music.
Well, play her the nonet. The Birth Of The Cool. It's not noisy at all, IIRC.

Do not play her the octet, unless you are trying to scare her.

😁

My mind wanders too much for that. I'm way too old to have been diagnosed but I'm almost certainly ADD to some extent. You can pick up a song in the middle or you can put down a book and come back to it ( except when you realize you don't remember a thing you read for at least the last five paragraphs) but talk shows, podcasts or books on tape just don't work.

I just leave the radio on SiriusXM's Outlaw Country. Not a lot of talk. Most of it is fairly well informed. The country element varies greater, the outlaw not nearly so much. Most of the DJs are musicians. Mojo Nixon until he died, Buddy Miller who I really like as an artist and his buddy JIm Lauderdale, Steve Earle and a couple more.

Last edited:
My mind wanders too much for that. I'm way too old to have been diagnosed but I'm almost certainly ADD to some extent. You can pick up a song in the middle or you can put down a book and come back to it ( except when you realize you doubt remember a thing you read for at least the last five paragraphs) but talk shows, podcasts or books on tape just don't work.

I just leave the radio on SiriusXM's Outlaw Country. Not a lot of talk. Most of it is fairly well informed. The country element varies greater, the outlaw not nearly so much. Most of the DJs are musicians. Mojo Nixon until he died, Buddy Miller who I really like as an artist and his buddy JIm Lauderdale, Steve Earle and a couple more.
My mind wanders a lot also. I have struggles focusing for long periods of time now days.

I find that I don't pick up the details, but I pick up enough to understand. If it's a really good podcast, I'll go back and read the transcript or listen again.

Well, play her the nonet. The Birth Of The Cool. It's not noisy at all, IIRC.

Do not play her the octet, unless you are trying to scare her.
Yea, I just listed to machine gun, she would not like that.

She thinks Metallica's One is noisy... :unsure:

I've also softened up some over the years. Because of this thread, I listened to several songs from Matchbox 20 yesterday.

I have over 8000 songs liked on Spotify. Made a playlist of around 4600 favorites from the 1960s to 2000s. All rock, pop, soul, R&B, rap, and some beach music. I do like some country, but for some reason it's harder for me to pick country that I like, especially from artists that didn't come on the scene until the 2000s and later. Probably because I didn't start listening to country really until the 90s. Don't like artists as much in pop, rock and rap that came on the scene after the 2000s, either. Guess the music from the 1960s to 2000s just means more to me because I was born in 1974 and that's the decades I grew up listening to until I got to middle age in the 2000s.

I have over 8000 songs liked on Spotify. Made a playlist of around 4600 favorites from the 1960s to 2000s. All rock, pop, soul, R&B, rap, and some beach music. I do like some country, but for some reason it's harder for me to pick country that I like, especially from artists that didn't come on the scene until the 2000s and later. Probably because I didn't start listening to country really until the 90s. Don't like artists as much in pop, rock and rap that came on the scene after the 2000s, either. Guess the music from the 1960s to 2000s just means more to me because I was born in 1974 and that's the decades I grew up listening to until I got to middle age in the 2000s.

What I do on Spotify is go to a favorite artist, select his radio station, and it will play a mix of the artist and people who other people who like that artist also listen to.

Fwiw, a station that seems to have a really eclectic mix is Delbert McClinton's. Runs long to Roadhouse blues.

Back