The Music Thread

Speaking of Southern alternative bands that had a bit of commercial success. I went to high school with most of the guys from Jump Little Children and hung out with Ward and the Bivins brothers quite a bit. I remember the first time I heard "Cathedrals" on the radio and realized it was them. IIRC, they had a reunion and mini tour a few years back.
Yeah, they were super-good. I saw them a number of times real early one -- in Spartanburg and in Charleston. Even before they got "big," such as they did, it was an extraordinary band. Actually, I generally liked their more acoustic, slightly hippy-dippy stuff -- though I'm not a big jam band guy....not that they were very jam-oriented....just seemed more loose or something. Anyway, really talented. I was in Charleston during the summer of 1995 -- the Music Farm had them on four consecutive Wednesdays, and I remember that it just built and built. Pretty cool seeing a band "blow up" like they did around that time.

I knew Ward a little....seemed like a really nice fellow.

Lately, I’ve been listening to a Pandora station called, “Subculture: 80s Alternative Radio.” It plays a lot of songs I haven’t heard in a while.
That's my wheelhouse. Bad Brains, REM, Smiths, Meat Puppets, Husker Du, Replacements, Dino Jr, Pixies, etc. Was fortunate enough to see many of them at the old Cat's Cradle and/or The Brewery in Raleigh...

Last edited:
I found the founder's name - J. Elmo Fagg - amusing...
You would know the name if you are familiar with REM’a song, “The Voice of Harold.”
In the song (the music is the exact same as in “7 Chinese Brothers,” Stipe is just singing the liner notes from that album.

Last edited:
I play some instruments (for fun) and take music seriously, though that phrase implies less pure enjoyment than analysis, it's really not the case for me. I get extremely strong dopamine hits from simple meledic "hooks"--as they are called--and stronger and deeper emotional involvement also with complexity and challenges to melodic expectations. For me, popular music has gone wrong (not really talking any specific time frame here) when it only meets simplistic expectations, as I think the key to how music rewards is both expectation and surprise. This problem has advanced over time and created a lot of listeners who have developed a kind of culturally induced musical agnosia. They don't seem to even hear music with a lot of different notes, chords and time signature changes as music at all. Rick Beato and others have examined this, and I hope the pendulum swing of cultural shifts moves back the other way again in time.

Anyway, back to what this combination of what I like emerges into, is that my favorite popular music artists are The Beatles and Rush. What elevates them is the combination of creativity, musical skills, and a large collection of great songs. There are many other artists I like a great deal but they do not seem on the same level in all of those qualities combined to me. Other than that I most favor classical music with a heavy lean towards Romantic and Modern Classical music. Favorite symphonic pieces are Beethoven's 9th, Rachmaninov's "Symphonic Dances," and Richard Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (quoted in my favorite film, 2001: A Space Odyssey").

To offer something if anyone has an interest, I will just pick a favorite Rush song, one with a surface of grand musical hooks and as always with them, beneath that extreme complexity in foundations of rhythm and underlying harmonic motifs, and meaningful symbolic lyrics, these about a good and and meaningful life as analogous to running a marathon.

It's not how fast you can go
The force goes into the flow
If you pick up the beat
You can forget about the heat
More than just survival
More than just a flash
More than just a dotted line
More than just a dash
It's a test of ultimate will
The heartbreak climb uphill
Got to pick up the pace
If you want to stay in the race
More than blind ambition
More than simple greed
More than just a finish line
Must feed this burning need
In the long run
From first to last
The peak is never passed
Something always fires the light
That gets in your eyes
One moment's high
And glory rolls on by
Like a streak of lightning
That flashes and fades
In the summer sky
Your meters may overload
You can rest at the side of the road
You can miss a stride
But nobody gets a free ride
More than high performance
More than just a spark
More than just the bottom line
Or a lucky shot in the dark
In the long run
~
You can do a lot in a lifetime
If you don't burn out too fast
You can make the most of the distance
First you need endurance
First you've got to last

This should be experienced on the best system you can find:

You would know the name if you are familiar with REM’a song, “The Voice of Harold.”
In the song (the music is the exact same as in “7 Chinese Brothers,” Stipe is just singing the liner notes from that album.

Supposedly unrehearsed iirc, which if true I find amazing.

Back