The Music Thread

slightly less old millennial, and Oasis is one of my all-time favorite bands. Still. I had Definitely Maybe and What's the Story Morning Glory on cassette tape as a kid and wore them the fuck out in my Walkman. Acquiesce is my favorite song of theirs. Something about Liam in a parka, hands behind his back, sneering at the mic is just badass.

I've liked some of each Gallagher bro's solo projects, too. If they ever tour together again.... might have to make a trip somewhere.
Absolutely. Oasis is my #1 for sure. If they ever got back together (they won't) I would break the bank to see them.

Acquiesce is fantastic. Definitely in my top 5.

I vividly remember the first time I saw the video for Champagne Supernova on MTV. I was like 12 years old, and that was definitely a seminal moment of me going from a kid to my angsty teen phase. I had basically listened to radio pop until then, I discovered Oasis and now I'm singing about getting high. :ROFLMAO:

Absolutely. Oasis is my #1 for sure. If they ever got back together (they won't) I would break the bank to see them.

I vividly remember the first time I saw the video for Champagne Supernova on MTV. I was like 12 years old, and that was definitely a seminal moment of me going from a kid to my angsty teen phase. I had basically listened to radio pop until then, I discovered Oasis and now I'm singing about getting high. :ROFLMAO:
For me, that video was Black Hole Sun and the albums were Jagged Little Pill (Alanis) and Sixteen Stone (Bush) 🙄

Speaking of early 90's Chapel Hill, anyone else remember the band Mary on the Dash? They never broke out but the one album they put out (Charivari) was terrific imo.
Those guys were in my fraternity when I was at Chapel Hill. It was more mid-late 80's...

My father loved jazz. Years ago the station manager at WUNC Radio was a man named Gary Shivers. In addition to being the station manager, he was also an expert on jazz. On Saturday mornings he had a show called Shivers on Jazz. My father listened religiously, whether he was in the house or outside tinkering around in the yard or garage. The show ran from 10-12. At noon the New York Metropolitan Opera House came on. He hated opera would damn near break his neck trying to get to the radio and turn it off before the first note was sung.

Favorite concerts by genre :

Rock - Allman Brothers and Grateful Dead at RFK stadium... 12 hour concert:cool:

my first two concerts- Sonny and Cher and the Dave Clark 5 in Dorton Arena
I went to Lollapalooza in 1992, it was around 12 hours.

Absolutely incredible lineup. Pearl Jam, Lush, Soundgarden, Ice cube, Ministry, Chilli Peppers, Jesus and Mary Chain.

Incredible.
I went another year too, but it wasn't as memorable. Went to the Midtown Music Festival almost every year between 94 and 2000. It was really good at first.

Current Playlist
Jason Isbell
Sturgill Simpson
Lots of Tom Petty
Scary Pockets
Marcus King

All-time Favs
Steely Dan
Allman Brothers
Dave Matthews Band
Col. Bruce Hampton and the Aquarium Rescue Unit

'73? Holy shit...
I was a 22yo lad;)

What a day and night !

The closing was the Allman Brothers and the Grateful Dead coming on stage around midnight and performing "Mountain Jam"

To this day the surviving members of my crew debate whether the performance was 45,60, or 90 minutes . I insist it was 90 minutes, but my buddies argue that is because I did more drugs than they did that day:cool:

We're all probably the same age, and Oasis is one of my favorite bands from that era. I absolutely would travel just about anywhere for a real reunion show

Acquiesce is without question in my top 5 as well, along with Morning Glory, Masterplan....hell, there are too many.

Hearty additional endorsement for God is an Astronaut and This Will Destroy You. I have an algorithmic station built around those two, plus an amalgam of Explosions in the Sky, M83, Mogwai, We Lost the Sea, etc. I tend to need sound over silence to unspool the day's anxieties, and mask baseline tinnitus. The station based on the aforementioned artists gives me a wide range of sounds to neutralize my endogenous high pitched "EEEEEEE!", while mellow enough to help facilitate meditations.

If I listen to music with lyrics it tends to be obnoxiously pleading, e.g. Bon Iver, Horse Feathers, Daughter, and Guster.
Had never heard of God is an Astronaut, but they are fantastic. Thank you!

I took that as a senior. Part of the final exam was him dropping the needle on a portion of a song and having to identify it.
I took a much broader music history class that had needle drops on the exams too. Everything from Gregorian chants, to classical, opera, blues, jazz, rock,....

I was a 22yo lad;)

What a day and night !
You caught a helluva show, heel. Certainly there's no objective criteria for determining "the best" Dead show ever, but I would certainly guess that that show would easily be in most Deadheads' top 25 of all time. Jealous! (even though I was only 7 years old at the time). Rhino released a 50th anniversary five show box set (Here Comes Sunshine) last year that included your show plus the previous night (both at RFK) and three shows from May '73. Excellent box set, all the shows were great. 72-74 were the Dead's apex years IMO...

We're all probably the same age, and Oasis is one of my favorite bands from that era. I absolutely would travel just about anywhere for a real reunion show

Acquiesce is without question in my top 5 as well, along with Morning Glory, Masterplan....hell, there are too many.
Don’t Look Back in Anger
Slide Away
Acquiesce
Stand By Me
Some Might Say

That’s probably my top 5

One of the first (and best) jangly-pop, Southern college bands that I remember. Always thought this video was crazy.

I saw Oasis in 1995 at The Nile in Arizona. Total dump of a venue and the show was as boring as could be. Liam stood in the middle of the stage like a statue, hands behind his back, singing for the entire time.

My two favorite alternative/rock bands to binge are Foo Fighters and Catherine Wheel. Most everyone has heard of Foo. Few have heard of Catherine Wheel.

Back