The Music Thread

Love Gary Stewart! Out of Hand may be my favorite. Also been listening to a lot of Willie lately - Red Headed Stranger album in particular. Recently stumbled into some old YouTube clips of Willie and Buffett playing together in the early 70s. Just great stuff.
Went to Willie's 1973 4th concert in Dripping Springs while visiting a cousin. It was just before he and the whole TX/Austin music scene blew up. It was great. Discovered a whole new world of musiic there.

Though Red Headed Stranger is regarded as his first concept album I would argue Phases and Stages was first. Still my favorite Willie album.

Buffett got a gig playing a bunch of TX community and/or junior colleges back then. He had become good buddies with Jerry Jeff.

Last edited:
I have always had a soft spot for all girl bands...

The Runaways
The Go-Go's
The Donnas
The Bangles
The Indigo Girls

One of my favorites by The Donnas

Lately, I’ve been listening to a Pandora station called, “Subculture: 80s Alternative Radio.” It plays a lot of songs I haven’t heard in a while.
Sorry, I should have posted a playlist. These are the last 10 songs the station played:

Save a Prayer - Duran Duran
What Have I Done to Deserve This? - Pet Shop Boys
Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now - The Smiths
The Ghost in You - The Psychedelic Furs
Flesh for Fantasy - Billy Idol
Like to Get to Know You Well - Howard Jones
Stand or Fall - The Fixx
What’s on Your Mind (Pure Energy) - Information Society
There is a Light that Never Goes Out - The Smiths
Chains of Love - Erasure

I play some instruments (for fun) and take music seriously, though that phrase implies less pure enjoyment than analysis, it's really not the case for me. I get extremely strong dopamine hits from simple meledic "hooks"--as they are called--and stronger and deeper emotional involvement also with complexity and challenges to melodic expectations. For me, popular music has gone wrong (not really talking any specific time frame here) when it only meets simplistic expectations, as I think the key to how music rewards is both expectation and surprise. This problem has advanced over time and created a lot of listeners who have developed a kind of culturally induced musical agnosia. They don't seem to even hear music with a lot of different notes, chords and time signature changes as music at all. Rick Beato and others have examined this, and I hope the pendulum swing of cultural shifts moves back the other way again in time.

Anyway, back to what this combination of what I like emerges into, is that my favorite popular music artists are The Beatles and Rush. What elevates them is the combination of creativity, musical skills, and a large collection of great songs. There are many other artists I like a great deal but they do not seem on the same level in all of those qualities combined to me. Other than that I most favor classical music with a heavy lean towards Romantic and Modern Classical music. Favorite symphonic pieces are Beethoven's 9th, Rachmaninov's "Symphonic Dances," and Richard Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (quoted in my favorite film, 2001: A Space Odyssey").

To offer something if anyone has an interest, I will just pick a favorite Rush song, one with a surface of grand musical hooks and as always with them, beneath that extreme complexity in foundations of rhythm and underlying harmonic motifs, and meaningful symbolic lyrics, these about a good and and meaningful life as analogous to running a marathon.

It's not how fast you can go
The force goes into the flow
If you pick up the beat
You can forget about the heat
More than just survival
More than just a flash
More than just a dotted line
More than just a dash
It's a test of ultimate will
The heartbreak climb uphill
Got to pick up the pace
If you want to stay in the race
More than blind ambition
More than simple greed
More than just a finish line
Must feed this burning need
In the long run
From first to last
The peak is never passed
Something always fires the light
That gets in your eyes
One moment's high
And glory rolls on by
Like a streak of lightning
That flashes and fades
In the summer sky
Your meters may overload
You can rest at the side of the road
You can miss a stride
But nobody gets a free ride
More than high performance
More than just a spark
More than just the bottom line
Or a lucky shot in the dark
In the long run
~
You can do a lot in a lifetime
If you don't burn out too fast
You can make the most of the distance
First you need endurance
First you've got to last

This should be experienced on the best system you can find:

Love Rush. Seen them half a dozen times and always a great show. Find myself listening to Witch Hunt recently as a proxy for our current political climate.

Years ago, I lived in Nashville, TN. The biggest society event of the year was sort of a debutant ball that was called "The Swan Ball," was held at a very fancy mansion, and--as was the custom--didn't really start until about 9 PM. So, in the late afternoon and early evening, a competing--but not overlapping--event was held. The Swine Ball. It was held under the overpass where I-40 and I-24 intersected, down by the Cumberland River. Those attending the Swine Ball dress up in some variation of a pig costume. And to accommodate the more prestigious people who actually attended both events, there was some sort of agreement with the press that there no photos unless the advance permission was obtained. I got to see, among others, my Congressman, Jim Cooper (DTH editor and Rhodes Scholar), Al Gore (then a sitting US Senator), and Marvin Runyon (then the chairman of TVA) all in pig costumes. Marvin Runyon's was the best. He was dressed up in some sort of "Ghostbuster" costume with a pig mask on and a sign around his neck identifying him as a "Power Hog." Got to see WIllie Nelson, Waylan Jennings, and Jessi Colter perform on stage, underneath the interstate exchange, down by the river, with a backing band that consisted of Davidson County deputy sheriffs that was named the "Blue Light Specials." And did I mention, pretty much everyone, including my wife and I, were in some sort of pig costume? It was surreal. I am not making this up.

Link: Nashville Then: The Swan Ball and the Swine Ball in June 1984

Great. A Beatles basher. Stay in your lane Super. Your opinion on music has been weighed, measured and found wanting. What instrument do you play? Do you sing? Any credentials at all? Talking about writing lyrics and such... casting aspersions on chord progressions... Tell us: What's the function of an Ebm7b5 chord in the key of Dbm? Also, what would be suitable chord substitutions for that Ebm7b5? In other words, what other "names" can one assign to that inversion?

Now, everyone has their opinions and entitled to same. However, some opinions weigh more heavily than others when critiquing something of which you are considered an expert or a novice.

And for what it's worth, "Here Comes the Sun" is one of the most streamed songs on Spotify, hit more than 1 billion plays over a year ago. A timeless and universally appealing song. But we can agree that it may or may not be everyone's cuppa tea. Personally, I perform close to 100 shows per year. Some are full band jazz shows, some are just duo or trio wine bar gigs. And several are solo spots. I always open my solo gigs with Here Comes the Sun. And it always gets a positive response amongst young and old listeners.

All that said, your opinion is just that: your opinion. But it's validity is just about 0.001 in a discussion amongst real musicians.
This reads like one of those, if you haven't done it then you can't have an opinion on it post.

Music is universal. Everyone has an opinion and enjoys some kind of music. Yes, some are more educated in the technical components, but is that really a requirement of an open discussion of music?

thanks, but I was only Leighton (Wurzburg) and Larson (Kitzingen) although I did a fun TDY at Peden (Wertheim). So all Franconia.
Hey Batt, I was in Kitzengen the same times you were. Medic in 1/15 Infantry stationed at Harvey Barracks 84-86. Had some great times there. Then matriculated to UNC 86-90. Thanks for your service.

And to keep it on topic, saw my first concert while in San Antonio for AIT. Whitesnake, Quiet Riot and one other forgettable act. Definitely not the best concert I have seen, lol, but it was the first.

Last edited:
And if I die before I learn to speak
Can money pay for all the days I lived awake
But half asleep?

This reads like one of those, if you haven't done it then you can't have an opinion on it post.

Music is universal. Everyone has an opinion and enjoys some kind of music. Yes, some are more educated in the technical components, but is that really a requirement of an open discussion of music?
Everyone has opinions and everyone is entitled to one. I said those exact words in my comment.

One can have their opinion and express them freely. But when doing so includes going into detail about dissecting lyric and musical theory, one might expect dissenting viewpoints from those who may just happen know a boatload on the subject.

yea i wanted to see the Stones but i was too young. But 5 years later in Greensboro Tour of America i saw them for the 1st of 6 shows. Back then festival seating. I was front row up against the plywood that they had around the stage. 1st tour with Ronnie and Billy Preston on keyboard. It's Only Rock N Roll but i like it.
Saw them at Wallace Wade in 2005. Still wondering how they wound up there. They were fantastic, of course.

Daughter and I went to see Pink and Sheryl Crow last week. Sheryl might be the best looking 60+ yr old on the planet and sounded great.

Pink puts on a really great stadium show. I knew more of the songs than I thought I would and she has a great band.

My son and I saw Jason lsbell at a club earlier the summer. Awesome show.

Back