The Weather Thread | Severe Flooding at Carolina Beach, Tornado Warnings in Eastern NC

• Thread starter Thread starter TullyHeel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 190
  • Views: 3K
  • Off-Topic 
Should be a fun week at the Wyndham Championship in Greensboro this week. August in North Carolina has this tournament expecting to be delayed each year by thunderstorms. I don't believe they were counting on this much wind and rain. It will be amazing if they can get it completed.

“Squalls out on the Gulf Stream.
Big storms coming soon.”
- Jimmy Buffett’s Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season

Doesn't seem to be as bad as forecasted so far. I mean it's still bad, but not as bad as the models showed it would be. Guess we'll see if that changes once it is out in the Atlantic again for a while and then comes back on land in SC.

Definitely looks like NC is going to dodge the bullet on this one, but Thursday and Friday are going to be soakers.

From WRAL

Tuesday Evening Debby Update (Long Post - - - Please Read!)

TUESDAY NIGHT: Being on the outer edges of Debby, we'll see some pockets of rain mixed with some dry periods. Enjoy that while it lasts. Some flood advisories will be possible for those caught under these outer bands.

WEDNESDAY: Rain *gradually* spreads southeast to northwest. For instance, Wednesday will become a worse day for Fayetteville as opposed to Hillsborough. The flood threat increases later in the day into the night for the Sandhills and the Triangle. The wind isn't that big an issue. The threat for tornadoes looks just south and east of us.

THURSDAY: This is the worst day for us. The center of Debby will be just to our south. We'll be on the northern/northeastern end. An *extreme* risk for flooding has been posted by NOAA's Weather Prediction Center - a first for our area since Dorian in 2019. 30 mph gusts or higher will be possible. Any other day, I wouldn't care. With a water-logged ground, we could see some outages. There's the chance for brief tornadoes mainly east of Raleigh starting late morning and lasting off-and-on throughout the day.

FRIDAY: The morning will be the wettest time of day with localized flooding continuing. Gusts will continue too. The threat for any brief spin-ups looks farther east. Debby FINALLY starts pushing northward by the evening and overnight. Some wind will come in on the back end.

Rivers will continue to rise even after the rain has left. This is especially the case east of the Triangle, as water starts flowing out toward the Atlantic.

Please continue to stay weather aware. This storm is exhausting, because it's not going to be moving much. That said, we're equipped to keep you updated across all platforms. Be prepared; not scared.

I am here in Wilmington working from home today with my kids. They're projecting 6 to 7 inches of rain through tomorrow and wind gusts up to 50 mph. It is a hell of a lot better than the 18+ inches they were predicting a few days ago.

Seems they keep slowing down the timing with it coming on shore. I thought Thursdsy was supposed to be the worst day here but now looks like it won't be here until Friday.

And I am sure there will be flooding and wind, but it seems 90% of the time whenever there is an extreme weather event forecasted here in the south, whether it be tropical systems, severe storms, or snow, it doesn't meet the hype forecasted and what the models show.

Back