The Weather Thread | Severe Flooding at Carolina Beach, Tornado Warnings in Eastern NC

• Thread starter Thread starter TullyHeel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 190
  • Views: 3K
  • Off-Topic 
Getting LOTS of rain here in Davidson county. And wind. But no tornadoes or warnings as yet. Taking the dog out this morning was like, "fuck it - let's just get this over with; we're both getting SOAKED."

It's quiet here now, but might just be a lull before more tornado threats later today. Could be scary this afternoon when it gets warmer.

Meanwhile seeing some prodigious wind gusts in LKN area at the moment.

A lull right now here in Raleigh but a heavy rain band about to come thru. The really nasty band that had the tornadoes is going north of Raleigh.

Last edited:
Getting LOTS of rain here in Davidson county. And wind. But no tornadoes or warnings as yet. Taking the dog out this morning was like, "fuck it - let's just get this over with; we're both getting SOAKED."
My dog looked at me like “fuck you” I ain’t going out in that. I had to practically drag him out.

My dog looked at me like “fuck you” I ain’t going out in that. I had to practically drag him out.
Hahahaha my last dog was like that too. Open the door and see a downpour or snow and she'd be like "Nope. I'll hold it." But my current dog is, unfortunately, quite fearless. The downside of that is, she still tends to run at cars and would rush into a thicket without a second thought, so I have to keep her on a fairly tight leash. She's a good girl, but man....

This morning about 4:45 am I was woken up by a series of loud booms accompanied by bright flashes. It went on for a couple of minutes. And for about 30 minutes more periodically sparks would drop down to the ground. My guess, because I am definitely not walking over to investigate, is that: 1) creek overflowed. 2) Ground around the creek softened from the rain and flooding. 3) Tree fell over onto the power lines. 4) We had a big fireworks show for about 5 to 10 minutes. Have not seen any sparks drop to the ground for a while. But Duke Power still has not posted a time for restoration of power.

My guess is thait power will be restored sometime after they get that tree off the power lines and get the power lines reconnected. I've already driven over to the QT Mart and gotten a couple if bags of ice and put them in my freezer. Also, I have, by phone, notified both 911 and Duke. A fire truck got here while sparks were still dripping to the ground. Once fire fighters ascertained no one was in imminent danger they wanted nothing to do with energized power lines dropping sparks on already wet ground.

ETA1: This is in South Charlotte.
ETA2: The Duke Power tree removal contractor is on-site!

20240808_092000.jpg

Last edited:
Back