UNC Football Catch-All Thread | Week 4 - James Madison @ UNC (Noon ACCN)

• Thread starter Thread starter Croatoan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 665
  • Views: 8K
  • UNC Sports 
And yet @CFordUNC said he wouldn't be happy if this team -- I repeat, this team -- ONLY won 9 games.
You understand that this is not at all the flex that you think it is, and that it is an enormous indictment on our entire football program, right? You have seen our schedule, right? And you've seen how we've recruited vis-a-vis like 10 of the 12 teams on our schedule, right? You understand that winning 9 games against a schedule that spots you 3 wins before the season even starts is...like, not great?

And I never said that I wouldn't be happy if we "only won 9 games." I said that 9-3 should be the minimum expectation for what constitutes a successful season in year 6 of this staff against this schedule. I was laughing at you for saying that you'd "dance a jig" if this team won 9 games. I said that "dancing a jig" for winning 9 against the easiest schedule this program has had in decades is an enormous self-own.

Guess you have lower expectations for North Carolina football than I do.

Last edited:
You understand that this is not at all the flex that you think it is, and that it is an enormous indictment on our entire football program, right? And I never said "only won 9 games." I was laughing at you for saying that you'd "dance a jig" if this team won 9 games. I said that "dancing a jig" for winning 9 against the easiest schedule this program has had in decades is an enormous self-own.
The jig is for THIS team. Not some hypothetical team you think we should be fielding. If this team is able to pull it together to win 9 games, I'll be doing a jig, a polka, and a salsa. This team is NOT good. Now, maybe we will get better as the season goes along, but right now, we've got A LOT of work to do. Starting with developing a D1 level QB.

Regarding our schedule, we are probably the worst conference team on our schedule right now. We could very easily go 0-8 in the ACC if we can't get things turned around.

The jig is for THIS team. Not some hypothetical team you think we should be fielding. If this team is able to pull it together to win 9 games, I'll be doing a jig, a polka, and a salsa. This team is NOT good. Now, maybe we will get better as the season goes along, but right now, we've got A LOT of work to do. Starting with developing a D1 level QB.

Regarding our schedule, we are probably the worst conference team on our schedule right now. We could very easily go 0-8 in the ACC if we can't get things turned around.
Do what now? You think we could "very easily" go 0-8 in the ACC? Dude....

We are clearly not going to agree on this and that's fine, but I cannot fathom how anyone can look at our schedule, and look at the teams that will be lining up across from us, and look at the way we've recruited this roster versus how most of those teams have recruited their rosters, and think that going 9-3 is some earth-shattering accomplishment.

Before the season even kicked off, we were 3-0. At this very juncture in the season, here in week 3, you know which team on our schedule looks to be the hardest remaining game? Boston College. BOSTON COLLEGE! You really, truly don't think that we should expect to win at least 6 of the remaining 9 games on our schedule? If the answer is no, that's fine, but it just means that you have bought hook, line, and sinker into Mack's "8 wins is pretty good around here" horseshit.

Do what now? You think we could "very easily" go 0-8 in the ACC? Dude....

We are clearly not going to agree on this and that's fine, but I cannot fathom how anyone can look at our schedule, and look at the teams that will be lining up across from us, and look at the way we've recruited this roster versus how most of those teams have recruited their rosters, and think that going 9-3 is some earth-shattering accomplishment.

Before the season even kicked off, we were 3-0. At this very juncture in the season, here in week 3, you know which team on our schedule looks to be the hardest remaining game? Boston College. BOSTON COLLEGE! You really, truly don't think that we should expect to win at least 6 of the remaining 9 games on our schedule? If the answer is no, that's fine, but it just means that you have bought hook, line, and sinker into Mack's "8 wins is pretty good around here" horseshit.
We have no D1 QB right now. Our Star position is exposed weekly. We've played the three worst teams on our schedule already. We will lose next week if we don't bring a 100% improved effort. We may be an underdog at Duke. Who on our remaining schedule do you think is clearly worse than us?

We have no D1 QB right now. Our Star position is exposed weekly. We've played the three worst teams on our schedule already. We will lose next week if we don't bring a 100% improved effort. We may be an underdog at Duke. Who on our remaining schedule do you think is clearly worse than us?
I think that James Madison, Virginia, Florida State, and Wake Forest are clearly worse than us. I am tempted to include Duke in that group- they looked awful against Elon and they look bad against UConn right now. I think that Pitt and NC State are roughly even with us. I think that Georgia Tech and Boston College are even-to-slightly better than us right now.

I think that James Madison, Virginia, Florida State, and Wake Forest are clearly worse than us. I am tempted to include Duke in that group- they looked awful against Elon and they look bad against UConn right now. I think that Pitt and NC State are roughly even with us. I think that Georgia Tech and Boston College are even-to-slightly better than us right now.
Virginia? They will clean our clocks. They actually have a QB that can throw (although sometimes to the other team). They looked very solid in winning at Wake last week and they are beating Maryland this week. Plus, we almost never play well at Charlottesville.

FSU? They will wipe us off the field unless they have completely given up on Norvell. Even our best teams under Mack couldn't beat Norvell's worst teams at FSU. Plus, Ga Tech, BC and Memphis are all way better than we are.

James Madison? They were in the Top 25 all last year and handled Charlotte at Charlotte much more easily than we did at home. That will take a lot more effort than what we saw this week.

Wake? We may win, but we always struggle with them -- even with our best teams.

Duke? At Duke? I mean anything is possible, but I wouldn't count on that one at this time.

State? Doreen has our number and Bailey actually looks competent.

We have been a disaster the last two games.

Now, teams can get better. We do have some injuries. But as of today, I see 0-8 as a realistic possibility.

Virginia? They will clean our clocks. They actually have a QB that can throw (although sometimes to the other team). They looked very solid in winning at Wake last week and they are beating Maryland this week. Plus, we almost never play well at Charlottesville.

FSU? They will wipe us off the field unless they have completely given up on Norvell. Even our best teams under Mack couldn't beat Norvell's worst teams at FSU. Plus, Ga Tech, BC and Memphis are all way better than we are.

James Madison? They were in the Top 25 all last year and handled Charlotte at Charlotte much more easily than we did at home. That will take a lot more effort than what we saw this week.

Wake? We may win, but we always struggle with them -- even with our best teams.

Duke? At Duke? I mean anything is possible, but I wouldn't count on that one at this time.

State? Doreen has our number and Bailey actually looks competent.

We have been a disaster the last two games.

Now, teams can get better. We do have some injuries. But as of today, I see 0-8 as a realistic possibility.
Sheesh. Yeah, we are going to absolutely have to agree to disagree.

Sheesh. Yeah, we are going to absolutely have to agree to disagree.
You have consistently over-ranked the talent on our team and under-ranked the strength of our opponents. Drake Maye and Sam Howell aren't walking through that door.

I'm not letting Mack off the hook. He was the one responsible for assembling this mess and he was the one who chose to go with Max out of the portal.

But the idea that this team winning nine games would be disappointing? I just can't wrap my head around that mindset. Just because we are playing two G5 teams and a FCS team doesn't mean we can just put on light blue uniforms and win 9 games. This team is much closer to 2017-2018 than 2020-2023.

Back