UNC Football Catch-All Thread | Week 4 - James Madison @ UNC (Noon ACCN)

• Thread starter Thread starter Croatoan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 665
  • Views: 8K
  • UNC Sports 
You have consistently over-ranked the talent on our team and under-ranked the strength of our opponents. Drake Maye and Sam Howell aren't walking through that door.

I'm not letting Mack off the hook. He was the one responsible for assembling this mess and he was the one who chose to go with Max out of the portal.

But the idea that this team winning nine games would be disappointing? I just can't wrap my head around that mindset. Just because we are playing two G5 teams and a FCS team doesn't mean we can just put on light blue uniforms and win 9 games. This team is much closer to 2017-2018 than 2020-2023.
I think the point is this: it would not at all be disappointing for this team to win as many as 9 games considering this team’s level of talent (or lack thereof). But, in the bigger picture, it’s very disappointing that we have to settle and think in such a way.

You have consistently over-ranked the talent on our team and under-ranked the strength of our opponents. Drake Maye and Sam Howell aren't walking through that door.

I'm not letting Mack off the hook. He was the one responsible for assembling this mess and he was the one who chose to go with Max out of the portal.

But the idea that this team winning nine games would be disappointing? I just can't wrap my head around that mindset. Just because we are playing two G5 teams and a FCS team doesn't mean we can just put on light blue uniforms and win 9 games. This team is much closer to 2017-2018 than 2020-2023.
Where did I ever say that winning 9 games would be disappointing? Please go find that. I'll wait. I genuinely want to know if I said that, because I am 99.999% certain I did not. And the only reason I'm willing to not say 100% is that I say a lot of stuff on here and nothing is an impossibility.

If you go back and look at what what I *actually* said, it was that 9 wins should be the bare minimum expectation for this team, against this schedule, in year 6 of this coaching regime. Nine wins being the "bare minimum expectation" does not equal nine wins being a disappointment. There is a big difference.

And no, I am not over-ranking the talent on our team and under-ranking the strength of our opponents. I said before the season and I stand by it now, that 10 of the 12 football head coaches on our schedule would trade their rosters for ours before you even finished asking them the question.

I think the point is this: it would not at all be disappointing for this team to win as many as 9 games considering this team’s level of talent (or lack thereof). But, in the bigger picture, it’s very disappointing that we have to settle and think in such a way.
Which is the point I've tried to make over and over.

There is a difference between dreams and reality.

This team, the one that is wearing light blue every week this season, is the one I would be excited about winning nine games. Should that be a huge accomplishment in 13-season games in the 6th year of a HoF coach? No. But that is the reality of this year.

Where did I ever say that winning 9 games would be disappointing? Please go find that. I'll wait. I genuinely want to know if I said that, because I am 99.999% certain I did not. And the only reason I'm willing to not say 100% is that I say a lot of stuff on here and nothing is an impossibility.

If you go back and look at what what I *actually* said, it was that 9 wins should be the bare minimum expectation for this team, against this schedule, in year 6 of this coaching regime. Nine wins being the "bare minimum expectation" does not equal nine wins being a disappointment. There is a big difference.

And no, I am not over-ranking the talent on our team and under-ranking the strength of our opponents. I said before the season and I stand by it now, that 10 of the 12 football head coaches on our schedule would trade their rosters for ours before you even finished asking them the question.
Do they have to trade the QB position, too?

We have no D1 QB right now. Our Star position is exposed weekly. We've played the three worst teams on our schedule already. We will lose next week if we don't bring a 100% improved effort. We may be an underdog at Duke. Who on our remaining schedule do you think is clearly worse than us?
Minnesota will not be one of the three worst teams on our schedule.

Last edited:
The final score looks a lot better than it really was.
Nccu offense was never the issue. 167 yards. It was can the unc offense do anything. Just two years ago we were giving up 61 to app and 28 to ga southern. 500 yards on defense. Improvements tremendous on defense with young players everywhere.

It's the UNC curse. Good offense means bad defense. Good defense means bad offense.

Minnesota beat Nevada and Rhode Island by a combined score of 75-0. We beat Charlotte and NCCU 83-30. If we are better than Minnesota, it ain't by much.
That was not my point. I was responding to cal who said we had played the three easiest teams on schedule. Minnesota is better than several teams we have yet to play. Certainly didn't say we are much better than Minnesota. We did best them by 2.

Minnesota will not be one of the three worst teams on our schedule.
They were predicted to finish 15 out of 18 in the Big 10 and that was before Indiana and Michigan State looked good. There is a decent shot they finish around UCLA and Purdue at the bottom of the league.

Maybe JMU or Wake is worse, but it is close.

"... Saturday’s road game against North Carolina (3-0), which kicks off at noon on the ACC Network, is a major test. Still, JMU is only a 10-point underdog and should have a chance to beat the Tar Heels, if it executes well.

Here’s a look at three keys to JMU’s lone meeting with a Power Four team this fall. ..."

Back