Working from home-Hows that going?

• Thread starter Thread starter mpaer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 106
  • Views: 1K
I have been working at home since the pandemic. Sometimes I miss the change of scenery and being at home all day. But I don't miss the commute. The company ended up closing my office and everyone that wants to work in an office has to go to main campus in RTP now, so that would be an even longer drive. But it would actually be better in terms of traffic since I could take back roads instead of driving down Capital Blvd where my office was located.

I have found I have gotten a little lazier since working at home, too, since I don't have to get up as early and get ready to go anywhere.

Besides the increase in remote flexibility, my favorite part of today’s work environment is that, at least in my line of work, the overwhelming vast majority of people with whom I meet are no longer wearing suits and ties, or jackets/blazers, or even button-down collared dress shirts, which means I am no longer wearing any of those things. Aside from a handful of weddings over the last couple of years, it has been almost five years since I had to wear a shirt with a stiff collar, much less a tie.

Besides the increase in remote flexibility, my favorite part of today’s work environment is that, at least in my line of work, the overwhelming vast majority of people with whom I meet are no longer wearing suits and ties, or jackets/blazers, or even button-down collared dress shirts, which means I am no longer wearing any of those things. Aside from a handful of weddings over the last couple of years, it has been almost five years since I had to wear a shirt with a stiff collar, much less a tie.
My last boss told me when I was coming to headquarters I should wear a button down shirt because the CEO wears a tie. I told her I don't have any that fit (a lie... Also I hated her)

She over dressed. And has since been fired. And no one there other than those two dress up. It's old school in some ways and still changing drastically like you said

Yes the most annoying thing on the weeks I go in to work in person is not the commute but having to get dressed. That’s the only thing that’s made me “lazy,” I still get all my work done easily but man I love being able to just work in a t shirt and shorts.

All the money saved on gas and lunch has really stacked up, especially since I can just eat something cheap out of the fridge or pantry for lunch…but not having to buy many new clothes or do half as much laundry has been amazing. Plus I can do laundry, dishes etc during the day and so we have less chores to do on the weekend (my wife does work in-person) and it has made our quality of life on weekends so much better.

Amen. Even going into the office 5 days a week, I’m jeans and a polo and I can’t imagine going back from that.

I still hang onto wearing a tie and coat to funerals Most don't And being "older " I do that at weddings
Thats it

I would love to move to remote work for a number of reasons. I kind of changed my life around to become a high school teacher and while it's been incredibly rewarding, the national narrative about the state of public education definitely holds true in my current situation.

I've done it long enough that I passively look for remote stuff now. I even applied for some remote positions for the Harris campaign ha.

I would love to move to remote work for a number of reasons. I kind of changed my life around to become a high school teacher and while it's been incredibly rewarding, the national narrative about the state of public education definitely holds true in my current situation.

I've done it long enough that I passively look for remote stuff now. I even applied for some remote positions for the Harris campaign ha.
Okay . Now . Set up a White Dudes for Harris-Vance website Link us to it LOL (Sorry female or people of color participants on the Board , I meant nothing horrible ) White dudes are the audience where we need some movement

I still work from home and am INSANELY more productive from home. I get things done in a couple of hours that used to take all day in person because of the nature of my job - if I was in the office I would be constantly getting interrupted or having people coming into my office and having to answer questions about different things. I am able to focus on task completion much easier and knock things out early in the day. But I know not all jobs are like this.
I agree with this.

I get far more done from home. I still go in about 50% of the time, but when I go in the day starts with the 40 minute drive to work that never leaves anyone wanting for more.

And, as you mentioned, I can avoid all of the interruptions.

So who answers those questions now? I think all of us can be more productive at home when working on individual tasks. But some of the most productive and enlightening discussions I ever had in my career were impromptu conversations around the coffee pot or people bringing me ideas when I was just walking around making myself available as a manager.
Can't speed for Ozarks, but I can still answer the questions. It's more controlled, we either set a time to have a call or schedule time when I'm in the office. I don't get interrupted in the middle of something else by someone walking into my office. I have read studies that say it takes 10-15 minutes to get back to where you were when someone interrupts you, so I'm better off finishing what I am currently working on then meeting to answer the question.

I do agree that I like some of the impromptu "water cooler" conversations, that's part of why I don't work 100% from home. But with all the tools we have today, no question would go unanswered because I'm not in the office.

Last edited:
I have transitioned from a full time office job to a consulting role in the past few years.

The last place where I worked went full remote during COVID. Some people went in...think that had an outsized impact on office politics. people who went in more had the general manager's attention, people who didn't, less so. When a drastic round of restructuring came around, the "high visibility" people were all safe.

Now that Im working with different clients I get to see different work cultures. Think its more of a Latin American thing, but I'm shocked how many companies still have a butt in seats mentality (a client wants to have me on location for their engagement, even though 80% of the sessions could be done remote). I do see some value in face to face meetings occasionally, but most meetings can be held online (also thin that most companies/teams aren't great at running online meetings). There are some type of meetings Ive felt go smoother in person: brainstorming/idea iteration, performance reviews, meeting a client for the first time.

I tend to advise new (as well as young) employees to go into the office a bit more than what's required. Think its really hard to pick up on cultural cues only online.

Finally, in something that as a manager brings me horror, I've seen some cases of fully remote employees who will have two jobs. Totally unprofessional and unethical.
What's the problem with having two jobs if you can get your work done?

I own a real estate school and we went fully online instruction during the pandemic. I detested it but it was the only way possible. I decided to reinvent it and make it fun for me. The result was a style of teaching that isn't unlike a radio or TV talk show. I never teach alone. I always have at least 1 and sometimes 2 cohorts. We joke. We make innuendo. We play off of each other and the students. I'm still paying $14,000 a month on a huge commercial space that sits empty until the end of 2025, but there is no reason to ever go back there. My classes are triple or quadruple the size they were in person and my staff is all happier and more productive. Our students love us and we still build genuine relationships with them...just had to change the dynamic.

I own a real estate school and we went fully online instruction during the pandemic. I detested it but it was the only way possible. I decided to reinvent it and make it fun for me. The result was a style of teaching that isn't unlike a radio or TV talk show. I never teach alone. I always have at least 1 and sometimes 2 cohorts. We joke. We make innuendo. We play off of each other and the students. I'm still paying $14,000 a month on a huge commercial space that sits empty until the end of 2025, but there is no reason to ever go back there. My classes are triple or quadruple the size they were in person and my staff is all happier and more productive. Our students love us and we still build genuine relationships with them...just had to change the dynamic.
You always know how to lemonade out of lemons it seems Great story

You always know how to lemonade out of lemons it seems Great story
I appreciate that but I think it was more necessity being the mother of invention. I was going nuts and had to change the dynamic. Now I've made myself completely ADHD because I'm accustomed to keeping up with 150-200 students on video, a sound board, slides, chat box, etc all at once. I can't watch movies or tv anymore without doing 12 things!

You probably also make life easier for your students/clients who don’t have to travel to your office.

I work from home but manage a sales territory for a bank. Travel a decent bit, but most of it is driving and I get to pick the travel days.

We go to HQ twice a year, but get new IT equipment or phones, and meeting with others in the company.

The pandemic and Zoom combo worked out well for me also. I was on the verge of taking a leave of absence as my wife had taken a job in NYC. I wasn't sure what I was going to do but would have a year to decide. When things went sideways I withdrew my petition because I saw that I'd have at least a semester and a summer to think about it while working remotely. As we know that turned into a couple of years. I've managed to live in both places with hybrid and fully online classes coupled with creative syllabus construction. For the past couple of years it has been dicey...as I wrote before my department supports me but administration can be troublesome. So far, so good.

Ironically, sometimes going back to tending bar looks pretty good I admit. Not a profession that lends itself to WFH.

Back