2024 races other than POTUS…

Sheesh. Michelle Morrow sounds rough. I will probably vote for Mo Greene. He did a good job in Guilford County.
He was also with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools as general counsel, then chief operating officer, then moved into the role of deputy superintendent.

He is very well thought of in the Charlotte area as well. Comparing his resume to a school board Karen is no contest.

the problem is any year is not a good year for Dems in the Senate. Land carries more power than people, and it will likely only get worse.
True, but 2024 is especially bad.

Manchin has been hanging onto a seat in blood-red WV, but with him retiring that’s a lost seat. You’ve also got Brown & Tester fighting to hold seats in conservative states.

The Pub seats that are up this cycle are all relatively safe. TX & FL are the most realistic to be somewhat close but even those are long shots.

Best case scenario for Dems will likely be Harris winning, taking back the House, and landing on a 50/50 split.

Some lunatic who doesn't believe in public education
The Godfather Film GIF

Sheesh. Michelle Morrow sounds rough. I will probably vote for Mo Greene. He did a good job in Guilford County.
I know a good number of teachers and other school staff that worked under Greene when he was Guilford County Schools Superintendent and they all loved him and thought he did a really good job. He would be a great Superintendent of Public Instruction in any case, but in this race he's vastly more qualified and capable than his opponent. She's a genuine loon - even her GOP opponent in the primary this year, incumbent State Superintendent Catherine Truitt, said she was unqualified and didn't take her candidacy seriously.

I know a good number of teachers and other school staff that worked under Greene when he was Guilford County Schools Superintendent and they all loved him and thought he did a really good job. He would be a great Superintendent of Public Instruction in any case, but in this race he's vastly more qualified and capable than his opponent. She's a genuine loon - even her GOP opponent in the primary this year, incumbent State Superintendent Catherine Truitt, said she was unqualified and didn't take her candidacy seriously.
Mo Greene cleaned up guilford county schools after Terry Grier was the worst superintendent I’ve ever seen.

the problem is the GOP base is split between equally as loony or willingly ignorant enough to not pay attention too closely. They'll just check the magic R box out of passion or uninformed loyalty. The primaries are supposed to get rid of the crazies, but the base has broken the primary system.

Rep. Cori Bush loses her primary tonight

Representative Cori Bush of Missouri, one of the most outspoken progressives in the House, lost her primary on Tuesday, according to The Associated Press, falling to a campaign by powerful pro-Israel political groups intent on ousting a fierce critic of the nation’s war in Gaza.

Her opponent, Wesley Bell, a county prosecutor, ran as a progressive and a pragmatist. But he was boosted by more than $8 million in spending from a super PAC affiliated with the country’s largest pro-Israel lobby, the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, or AIPAC, and other similar entities. That outside money transformed the race into one of the most expensive House primaries in history.

The contentious contest came just weeks after Representative Jamaal Bowman of New York, another outspoken progressive and vocal Israel critic, suffered a stinging primary defeat. The same pro-Israel groups that poured $15 million into defeating Mr. Bowman were aiding Mr. Bell, and all eyes were on Ms. Bush to see if she would be the next member of the ultraliberal “squad” to see defeat.

Missouri had a state amendment to require Kansas City to spend at least 25% of their budget on the police.

Not to require all cities in the state to do it, just Kansas City.

Senate races:

Dems in tough Senate races show up for Harris after spurning Biden​

Tammy Baldwin and Elissa Slotkin ducked the president’s July visits to their states, but both appeared with Harris and her running mate Wednesday.

"... Sen. Bob Casey joined Tuesday’s debut rally in Philadelphia for the Harris-Tim Walz ticket to tout the vice president’s background as a prosecutor who “[put] away dangerous criminals.” Sen. Tammy Baldwin called Harris and Walz “a new beginning for our party and our country” at their rally earlier Wednesday in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. And Rep. Elissa Slotkin, running for an open seat in Michigan, offered a searing takedown of former President Donald Trump’s running mate, Sen. JD Vance of Ohio, in suburban Detroit later that evening. ..."

... Sen. Jacky Rosen plans to appear alongside Harris at her Las Vegas rally on Saturday, according to The Nevada Independent. It is not clear whether Rep. Ruben Gallego (D-Ariz.), who won the nomination last week for the seat currently held by retiring Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (I-Ariz.), will be at the campaign’s Friday rally in Phoenix. Gallego’s campaign did not respond to a request for comment earlier Wednesday.

Even if Harris wins in November, Democrats face a challenging fight to retain control of the Senate. Republicans are almost certain to win retiring independent Sen. Joe Manchin’s seat in West Virginia and would only need one more pick-up to flip the chamber. While swing-state Democrats are embracing Harris and Walz, the party also needs Sens. Sherrod Brown of Ohio and Jon Tester of Montana to prevail in November in red states the vice president is unlikely to visit.

Trump, meanwhile, is slated to campaign for Tester’s Republican opponent, Tim Sheehy, in a visit to Montana on Friday."

Even if Harris doesn’t visit Ohio & Montana, Walz probably should. He’d connect well in those states, and they’re critical if any hope of holding the Senate.

Even if Harris doesn’t visit Ohio & Montana, Walz probably should. He’d connect well in those states, and they’re critical if any hope of holding the Senate.
Larry David Reaction GIF

I don't think Brown or Tester want the Democratic ticket there, even Walz, but could be wrong.

Today's conservative Carolina Journal poll has Stein up +5 and Trump +3 in NC

Can Kamala get to NC for a rally before the convention ?

Kamala,Walz, Stein, and Jackson would have the rally rockin' 🥳

and hold the rally at BKS baby !

Today's conservative Carolina Journal poll has Stein up +5 and Trump +3 in NC

Can Kamala get to NC for a rally before the convention ?

Kamala,Walz, Stein, and Jackson would have the rally rockin' 🥳
NC is very much in play now. Will take a continuation of the current glide path, but the state GOP candidates are uniquely unqualified to change the current momentum

Larry David Reaction GIF

I don't think Brown or Tester want the Democratic ticket there, even Walz, but could be wrong.
I don't think Walz would hurt. He drives enthusiasm, especially in Ohio. Kamala will make some pit stops in Ohio. Whether Sherrod is seen with her is a different question.

Michelle Morrow would be the worst thing to happen to public education in the state in my lifetime. Her beliefs about public school are bad enough, but her general lack of knowledge about how schools operate is the truly concerning point. Mo Green, meanwhile, has successfully run one of the largest school systems in the state. If there is anything that I can do to convince you to switch from “might” to “will” vote for Mo agree, then let me know. She isn’t qualified to run for a district’s board of education, let alone a state level position.

Back