Best Movies Filmed in NC

• Thread starter Thread starter aGDevil2k
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 99
  • Views: 984
  • Off-Topic 
Brain Storm
Logan Lucky

Both films share an apparent wormhole that must exist to get from RTP to the Outer Banks (Brain Storm) or from WV to Charlotte (Logan Lucky)

Based off the Tom Clancy novel of the same name, the 1990 spy thriller The Hunt for Red Octoberfilmed its final scene on what was supposed to be Penobscot River in Maine. But Marko Ramius (Sean Connery) and Jack Ryan’s (Alec Baldwin) conversation actually took place on Lake James in western North Carolina.

Junebug is a great little indie filmed in NC.

“… Some of the most intense scenes of the 1992 adventure The Last of the Mohicans were shot on and around Chimney Rock, a 315-foot-long jutting rock formation …”

Nell (Jodie Foster flick about a feral child from NC)

“… Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Several western NC cities serve as the setting for the fictional town of Ebbing as Mildred Hayes (Frances McDormand) battles with her community to dig deeper into her daughter’s violent death. Sites from the film – including the Ebbing Police Department and Red Welby’s advertising company – are interspersed in Sylva. The “magical” deer (her name is Becca) that appears to Mildred lives at the WNC Nature Center in Asheville. And though the billboards no longer line North Fork Left Fork Road in Black Mountain, the scenic road is still worth the drive. …”

“… The rundown town seen in Deliverance was filmed in Sylva, North Carolina, while the movie also filmed at the Mount Carmel Baptist Church. This site was flooded by Lake Jocassee shortly after filming, with the dam seen under construction being the Jocassee Dam, which forms the lake. …”

Posted this in the Cover songs thread. But what the hell. Movie Once Around.

Gonna brag a bit. Fly Me to the Moon. @ around 45 seconds Aiello leans over and whispers to a trumpet player. That's my father. The band was Leon Jordan and the Continentals. They are on the original soundtrack.

Filmed in the triangle. They fixed up Mann's Chapel to film there. Covered the ground with fake snow. I was living couple miles away at the time.

A weird cult comedy-horror flick, Trick or Treat (1986), was filmed in NC. It is mainly notable for having Gene Simmons (yes of KISS) in cameo (he was asked to play the demonic back from the grave hard rocker villain) and Ozzy Osbourne with a small role as an anti-rock preacher. 100% cheese.

Also, the soundtrack for this film is still around as a cult fave for heavy metal fans (not at all my thing but you can still find it on Apple Music among other spots).

IMG_2754.jpeg

Certainly not the best, but…

Watched that on many a summer’s night in Chapel Hill, and…

My 8th grade girlfriend was an extra in this stinker.

A weird cult comedy-horror flick, Trick or Treat (1986), was filmed in NC. It is mainly notable for having Gene Simmons (yes of KISS) in cameo (he was asked to play the demonic back from the grave hard rocker villain) and Ozzy Osbourne with a small role as an anti-rock preacher. 100% cheese.

Also, the soundtrack for this film is still around as a cult fave for heavy metal fans (not at all my thing but you can still find it on Apple Music among other spots).

IMG_2754.jpeg
That movie starred Marc Price, who was otherwise best known as Skippy on Family Ties.

“ My brother was an “extra” (you barely see him for a few seconds) in Hellraiser III when he was at NC School of the Arts in a dance club scene, so at least part of that movie was filmed in NC — I think they (sort of hilariously) used Greensboro as a stand-in for NYC.

I'm in the baseball crowd at Ernie Shore Field at the beginning of Mr. Destiny. The baseball players are from the RJ Reynolds (my high school) baseball team and many of the crowd are RJR students and families. Filming went pretty late into the night at least one night and we were excused from the first couple of periods of class the next day because of it.

The best horror movies filmed in NC are The Conjuring (Wilmington) and Cabin Fever (around Mt. Airy and High Point).

A few on location scenes of Evil Dead 2 were shot in near Wadesboro.

Among a lot of schlock filmed in Wilmington, The Exorcist III is actually a weird gem in that it is not nearly as bad as the first sequel and actually is better than that, on its own it is a sometimes weird but solid B-horror/police procedural mash-up, probably because it was based on a different William Peter Blatty novel (Legion) with the same detective from the Exorcist (and a key tie-back to the events of that novel).

I haven’t seen The Black Phone but hear it is pretty scary; anyway, it was filmed in and around Wilmington.

I Know What You Did Last Summer is a pretty famous one filmed here.

Anyway, also filmed in NC were a bunch of mediocre to terrible Stephen King adaptations -

Maximum Overdrive
Fire Starter
Cat’s Eye
Silver Bullet

A little bit of The Green Mile was filmed in Blowing Rock.

Last edited:
Ramseur, Liberty, and Snow Camp were all locations in "Children of the Corn 2"

Children Of The Corn 2 (1992) Filming Locations - Horror Movie Then & Now in North Carolina​

I was on the fringe of this scene when Ross M came through shooting the film. Heard about it but never met him. Partied a couple times in a house featured in it.

I lived in that little green house on Greensboro Street in Carrboro for a few years (1998-2001). Charleen Swansea’s son, Tom Honeycutt, was my landlord.

IMG_4781.jpeg

Back