Black enrollment at UNC drops after ruling. Group who sued now coming for Duke.

• Thread starter Thread starter altmin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 118
  • Views: 2K
  • Politics 
The solution to this problem is pretty simple. Instead of mass deportations of Hispanic immigrants, we should be developing a plan for the mass deportation of Asian immigrants, including establishing internment camps as needed.

Hispanic immigrants are filling low paying jobs that Americans do not want; Asians are taking over 100% of the good paying jobs that Americans do want.
Moreover, we should never have provided high quality educations for Asians that have discriminated against and have denied opportunities for American students.

To honor "America First" we must deport more Asian immigrants. USA ! USA ! USA !

The solution to this problem is pretty simple. Instead of mass deportations of Hispanic immigrants, we should be developing a plan for the mass deportation of Asian immigrants, including establishing internment camps as needed.

Hispanic immigrants are filling low paying jobs that Americans do not want; Asians are taking over 100% of the good paying jobs that Americans do want.
Moreover, we should never have provided high quality educations for Asians that have discriminated against and have denied opportunities for American students.

To honor "America First" we must deport more Asian immigrants. USA ! USA ! USA !
Asians don't scare white folks as much, though, because they have lighter skin color.

Interestingly there did not seem to be much impact on the numbers of Hispanic students.
That is interesting. I would have thought they would have fallen too but it seems like they were getting in on merit alone. That's good news.

It seems like the only demographic that was getting a race based advantage is blacks and it was at the expense of Asians, at least at UNC based on this one year.

It was a joke. Let me explain it to you. You asked when MAGA was going to figure out how to block Asian students. I replied, with my tongue buried deeply in my cheek, that they should ask the school administrators and admissions officers what they had been doing for years to block Asian students if they were looking for an example.
You weren't responding to me, you were responding to someone else, but fair enough.

That is interesting. I would have thought they would have fallen too but it seems like they were getting in on merit alone. That's good news.

It seems like the only demographic that was getting a race based advantage is blacks and it was at the expense of Asians, at least at UNC based on this one year.
Inferring that from this data---no its hard to infer that

Agreed. It's not fair to paint with a broad brush...BUT...I can tell you that the amount of stress many Asian families put on kids even at the elementary level is supremely unhealthy.
I have seen this with a very large percentage of people of Asian descent I know. The parents put A LOT of pressure on them to excel academically and have very high expectations. On top of that they have very specific expectations as to the type career they should pursue— mainly in medicine of finance; law can be a backup plan— and put a lot of pressure on them to pursue those careers. If they instead choose to pursue something generally viewed as less lucrative or “prestigious,” it often causes a family rift. And what makes it more difficult is that they are very much conditioned to please and defer to their parents. This is not he case across the board, but it is fairly common.

This is an intolerable abuse of data. You cannot, in good faith, draw such a conclusion.

I think it also true that the greatest predictor of college attendance is "Did your parents attend college". And with the exception of some large immigrations from SE Asia-I think it is true that the "Asian" immigration has been heavily well educated Asians moving to the USA .This of course being rare in immigation historically

I think it also true that the greatest predictor of college attendance is "Did your parents attend college". And with the exception of some large immigrations from SE Asia-I think it is true that the "Asian" immigration has been heavily well educated Asians moving to the USA .This of course being rare in immigation historically

The study I saw was the greatest predictor of attending college was family income although I'm sure there's tons of overlap there.

In my view UNC has never really targeted Hispanics as an affirmative action group but rather treated them for the most part as white applicants (or depending on how they identify, as African American applicants). Any diversity from admitted Hispanic students was an "inadvertent" bonus for the school. I think that with each generation of Hispanics in the US, there is also more intermarriage similar to what was seen with Italian-Americans.

In my view UNC has never really targeted Hispanics as an affirmative action group but rather treated them for the most part as white applicants (or depending on how they identify, as African American applicants). Any diversity from admitted Hispanic students was an "inadvertent" bonus for the school. I think that with each generation of Hispanics in the US, there is also more intermarriage similar to what was seen with Italian-Americans.

Hispanics didn't get the same advantage as blacks at UNC admissions but they got a pretty significant advantage. They were definitely treated differently than white and Asian applicants.

There are a lot of immigrants from China and India in our community. Our oldest was an early bloomer academically and once he became known to the parents of his Asian classmates and friends, we probably had a family reach out to us every other week wanting to know what our secret was. Our response was “nothing noteworthy.” Many of them had trouble accepting that. One mother, we later learned, thought we were hiding the truth to hold a competitive advantage.

This was in Kindergarten.
Shoulda said less white rhino tusk and shark fin and more fritos

Hispanics didn't get the same advantage as blacks at UNC admissions but they got a pretty significant advantage. They were definitely treated differently than white and Asian applicants.
Did data for that come out at the trial?

In previous decades, Hispanics weren’t an admissions priority at UNC because they didn’t make up a significant portion of the state population. As that changed over time, the priority changed.

Back