Bryce Young

• Thread starter Thread starter theel4life
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 148
  • Views: 3K
  • Sports 
At some point you need to evaluate the other offensive players and what they may be able to do with maybe competent QB play. Now Dalton could come in and stink it up too, that is the chance you take.
I agree that needs to happen at some point, but game 3 seems really early to me to start that process.

However low Young's confidence is, this is only going to make it worse. Unless this is something like a partial or 1 game break to get his head on straight, you've pretty much ended the dude's career. Which is fine, except you gain nothing from it and are likely actively losing ground from the decision.

Let's say that Dalton is reasonably successful and he leads to the otherwise bad Panthers to a few wins. There's very little chance he leads them to the playoffs but he could very well be good enough to get them a few wins which pushes them down a few picks in the draft. Given how the entire team has performed thus far, that's a loss on a team that is bad and needs lots of help.

This would be a different story if the defense was near the top of the league and even a mediocre offense could mean the Panthers have a shot at the playoffs. But the Panthers' D is pretty terrible, as well, and a mediocre offense rather than a bad one isn't going to make much overall difference beyond a few (at most) wins.

If the Panthers were making this decision at game 12-14, I'd totally understand. But doing it now seems to have no real upside while carrying a lot of downside.

The only way this makes any sense to me is if the locker room is in complete revolt and you're in danger of creating an issue that will spill out into future seasons.

That is my thinking, as well. There are a lot of grown ass men in that locker room who know that, unfortunately, Young gives them exactly 0 chance to win football games at the professional level. Those guys put their minds and bodies on the line week after week after week, they need to at least have some semblance of hope that they can win football games.

The only way this makes any sense to me is if the locker room is in complete revolt and you're in danger of creating an issue that will spill out into future seasons.
My guess is that this is the main reason. Team is in turmoil and coaches know that he’s better off learning on the sidelines.

Being thrown into the fray is not always the best way to learn /develop.

Not trying to be insensitive as I do feel a little bad for Young, but imo his confidence level is irrelevant at this point. He could have all the swagger in the world and it still wouldn’t change the fact that he’s physically way too small and unathletic to be an NFL QB.

If Dalton is just good enough to “drop” the panthers to the 3rd pick instead of the 1st then so be it. I’d much rather the team at least try to win and build some halfway competent habits rather than wave the white flag and totally give up on the season 2 games in (which is exactly what they would be doing if they continued to play Young).

Last edited:
Not trying to be insensitive as I do feel a little bad for Young, but imo his confidence level is irrelevant at this point. He could have all the swagger in the world and it still wouldn’t change the fact that he’s physically way too small and unathletic to be an NFL QB.

If Dalton is just good enough to “drop” the panthers to the 3rd pick instead of the 1st then so be it. I’d much rather the team at least try to win and build some halfway competent habits then wave the white flag and totally give up on the season 2 games in (which is exactly what they would be doing if they continued to play Young).
I don't think you can even properly evaluate anyone on the offense with Young playing. He turns the team so one-dimensional that any sort of proper scouting is impossible.

If there’s a silver lining to this disaster, at least we know definitively early in year 2 that Bryce Young isn’t the answer at QB and we can rip off the band aid and start reversing course.

It’s arguably worse when the new QB gives a fan base just enough hope that they waste 3 or 4 seasons waiting on them to pan out and it never happens, I.e. what the Bears have gone through recently with Trubisky and then Justin Fields.

That’s the only possible rationale, unless Bryce asked to sit for a bit because even he knows he’s not mentally in place to do the job. I happen to think the latter is more likely, but that would never be made public.
He literally has to jump to throw the ball. I had no idea until I saw it yesterday.

#1 pick. Gave up SO MUCH to get him. And he, very possibly, may never start again.

If Dalton is just good enough to “drop” the panthers to the 3rd pick instead of the 1st then so be it. I’d much rather the team at least try to win and build some halfway competent habits rather than wave the white flag and totally give up on the season 2 games in (which is exactly what they would be doing if they continued to play Young).
Yeah I dont think we make the best "first pick" decisions. 3rd is fine.

My view is that Bryce Young is done as an NFL starter. The only way he'll ever play in an NFL game again is as the backup when the starter gets hurt. Panthers will likely waive him after the season and eat his last guaranteed years.

It's entirely possible that a lot of Young's issues are related to the other talent on the offense.

The problem with making this move two games into the season, after two terrible performances, is that you're not getting much data. A lot of teams have two terrible games on offense, and eventually they right the ship and go from terrible to (let's say) merely bad. It's mean reversion.

OK, so you replace Young with Dalton. Now the offense gets a little better. Is that because of the QB change or the offense just performing a little better. You don't have enough information to make that call. I get it -- there's last year too, and he looks really bad . . . . but still, they're a massive risk of placebo effect.

On a related note: why can't NFL teams draft QBs any more? Let's go through recent QB draft picks:

Since 2015, the following QBs have been drafted in the top 3. Winston (good for a little while, then was bad); Mariota (never good, though not a complete bust); Mitch; Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold (career backups); Kyler Murray (good but not exactly a killer pick at #1); Burrow (a keeper); Trevor Lawrence (I actually don't know if he's good); Zach Wilson (total bust -- is he in the league?); Trey Lance (maybe the most bust of all the busts); and then Bryce Young and CJ Stroud.

So that's 11 QBS. Two stars. Two pretty good players. Three backup quality players. Three utter busts. And Trevor Lawrence, who I guess has yet to write his full story.

Why are they so bad at drafting?

My view is that Bryce Young is done as an NFL starter. The only way he'll ever play in an NFL game again is as the backup when the starter gets hurt. Panthers will likely waive him after the season and eat his last guaranteed years.
Yeah I think that’s obvious.

Darnold & Mayfield hint that it's not all at Young's feet. Unfortunately they may ruin him before he gets out of there.

It's entirely possible that a lot of Young's issues are related to the other talent on the offense.

T

Since 2015, the following QBs have been drafted in the top 3. Winston (good for a little while, then was bad); Mariota (never good, though not a complete bust); Mitch; Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold (career backups); Kyler Murray (good but not exactly a killer pick at #1); Burrow (a keeper); Trevor Lawrence (I actually don't know if he's good); Zach Wilson (total bust -- is he in the league?); Trey Lance (maybe the most bust of all the busts); and then Bryce Young and CJ Stroud.

So that's 11 QBS. Two stars. Two pretty good players. Three backup quality players. Three utter busts. And Trevor Lawrence, who I guess has yet to write his full story.

Why are they so bad at drafting?
Quite the record

Back