Covid Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter tonman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 87
  • Views: 2K
  • Politics 
Hospitals here have been swamped with respiratory patients. Not surprised to see the correlation. Thankfully most people seem to be managing pretty well.
This variant seems to be hitting harder than the last few, in both severity and longevity. I know several people that have felt terrible for 7-10 days, even with Paxlovid.

The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday approved the latest slate of annual Covid vaccines, clearing the way for Americans 6 months and older to receive updated shots in the midst of a prolonged summer surge of the virus.

Pfizer and Moderna, the vaccine makers, are expected to begin shipping vaccines to pharmacies and doctors’ offices within days. The shots are tailored to a version of the virus that took off this spring before giving way to closely related variants, all of which appear to spread faster.

But the approval is occurring months after wily new variants began driving up infections, a matter of consternation for some scientists who have urged faster turnarounds for updated shots.

In recent weeks, people have been hospitalized with Covid at a rate nearly twice as high as during the same time last summer. By late July, Covid was killing roughly 600 Americans each week, a substantial drop from this winter but double the number from this spring.

The availability of boosters has not translated into actual vaccinations. By spring, only one in five adults had received last year’s updated Covid vaccine. Even older Americans, who are at far greater risk of being severely sickened, largely spurned the shots, with only 40 percent of people 75 and older taking last year’s vaccine.

“The owners of Ace Speedway in Alamance County are being allowed by the N.C. Supreme Court to proceed with their COVID-19 related lawsuit against the state's health secretary.
The court upheld unanimously Friday a unanimous N.C. Court of Appeals ruling from August 2022 that allows Ace Speedway Racing Ltd. and other plaintiffs to move forward with claims that the state violated their constitutional rights with a pandemic-related shutdown in June 2020.

Racing was allowed to resume in October 2020 after Gov. Roy Cooper eased public-gathering restrictions in September 2020.

The Turners' claims are that then-state Health Secretary Mandy Cohen and Cooper closed Ace not out of concern for public health via an emergency order during the first months of the deadly pandemic.

Rather, they say the shutdown was done because the father and son tandem of Robert and Jason Turner was singled out for opting to defy state COVID-19 restrictions by allowing more than 25 people to gather in a public setting.

The Turners fully opened the track to attendees for three regularly scheduled events prior to the shutdown, drawing more than 2,000 fans on at least one instance.

The Turners are seeking more than $20,000 in damages. Their attorney, Chuck Kitchen with Kitchen Law PLLC of Swansboro, said Monday the shutdown cost Ace most of its weekly 2020 season as "they were still paying bills." …”

(Cont’d)

“… However, Dietz made clear the Supreme Court was not ruling on the merits of the claims by the Turners.

Dietz wrote that the Ace Speedway legal case "concerns matters that are controversial in contemporary politics. We emphasize that these allegations remain unproven. After all, the case has barely begun.

"Still ... these allegations assert colorable claims under the N.C. Constitution for which there is no alternative remedy."

"We conclude that, even assuming the state had a proper government purpose" of protecting public health during a pandemic that "Ace Speedway sufficiently alleged that the means chosen by the state to achieve that purpose were unreasonable under the circumstances." …”

Suffering from Covid right now. My son was sick and stayed home from school last Thursday, but he wasn't very sick and went back to school the next day. I didn’t even think to test him.

I woke up Sunday feeling a bit sick, but nothing serious enough to make me think much of it. Went to a soccer tournament during the day, and when we got back and went out to dinner, my daughter was feeling a bit sick. My wife started feeling a bit sick, too.

Then I wake up this morning feeling much worse than I have since I first had Covid in 2022. Decided to test, and it was positive very quickly.

Now I’m sitting up past midnight feeling like junk, with my wife upstairs feeling even worse. I don’t feel nearly as bad as I did with Covid in 2022, but I can only recall a few times over the past 30 years where I’ve felt like this.

Ugh.

Suffering from Covid right now. My son was sick and stayed home from school last Thursday, but he wasn't very sick and went back to school the next day. I didn’t even think to test him.

I woke up Sunday feeling a bit sick, but nothing serious enough to make me think much of it. Went to a soccer tournament during the day, and when we got back and went out to dinner, my daughter was feeling a bit sick. My wife started feeling a bit sick, too.

Then I wake up this morning feeling much worse than I have since I first had Covid in 2022. Decided to test, and it was positive very quickly.

Now I’m sitting up past midnight feeling like junk, with my wife upstairs feeling even worse. I don’t feel nearly as bad as I did with Covid in 2022, but I can only recall a few times over the past 30 years where I’ve felt like this.

Ugh.
That sucks, Hope you feel better.

Ugh.
Hate to hear that for you. I hope you and your wife feel much better soon.

The thing that made me miserable the time I had COVId was how long it took to shake it. I’ve definitely had a worse case of the flu, but at least the worst of that ended after a few days even though I was sick for a week. It took me several weeks after the primary COVID symptoms had come and gone to get my energy back. I would be exhausted by 2-3 in the afternoon. But my more acute symptoms were never as bad as the worst cases of the flu I have had.

So strange.

About 400 million people worldwide have been afflicted with long Covid, according to a new report by scientists and other researchers who have studied the condition. The team estimated that the economic cost — from factors like health care services and patients unable to return to work — is about $1 trillion worldwide each year, or about 1 percent of the global economy.

About 6 percent of adults globally have had long Covid.​

The authors evaluated scores of studies and metrics to estimate that as of the end of 2023, about 6 percent of adults and about 1 percent of children — or about 400 million people — had ever had long Covid since the pandemic began. They said the estimate accounted for the fact that new cases slowed in 2022 and 2023 because of vaccines and the milder Omicron variant.

They suggested that the actual number might be higher because their estimate included only people who developed long Covid after they had symptoms during the infectious stage of the virus, and it did not include people who had more than one Covid infection.

The authors cited studies suggesting that only 7 percent to 10 percent of long Covid patients fully recovered two years after developing long Covid. They added that “some manifestations of long Covid, including heart disease, diabetes, myalgic encephalomyelitis and dysautonomia are chronic conditions that last a lifetime.”

The consequences are far-reaching, the authors wrote: “Long Covid drastically affects patients’ well-being and sense of self, as well as their ability to work, socialize, care for others, manage chores and engage in community activities — which also affects patients’ families, caregivers and their communities.”

The report cited estimates that between two million and four million adults were out of work because of long Covid in 2022 and that people with long Covid were 10 percent less likely to be employed than those who were never infected with the virus.

As I (a) read this thread and (b) fall into an age range were I really need to be careful, I would very much appreciate if other posters would comment on when the new Covid vaccine becomes available in their areas. I want to get it as soon as possible, but I also don't want to walk down to neighbor pharmacy every day and ask, "Do you have it yet?"

As I (a) read this thread and (b) fall into an age range were I really need to be careful, I would very much appreciate if other posters would comment on when the new Covid vaccine becomes available in their areas. I want to get it as soon as possible, but I also don't want to walk down to neighbor pharmacy every day and ask, "Do you have it yet?"
I have an appt for the undated vaccine tomorrow at cvs. We’ll see if they actually have it. You can check online. Walgreens will let you make an appt starting 7/6 as well.

Funny you mention this. I'm in the Sarasota area (Florida) and my local Publix said they are getting the new Covid vaccine sometime today. My wife and I will probably get it either tomorrow or Friday.

I feel more functional today, though I don’t know if it’s that I’m actually getting better or that my cocktail of ibuprofen and caffeine is working its magic.

My wife still feels like crap and took another sick day from work.

Interestingly, just before coming here and reading your post, I read an article about whether one should get the new vaccine immediately or wait until later in the fall. It sounds like there are two schools of thought. I typically wait until near Halloween to get both the flu shot and the fall COVID shot. I got the RSV vaccine back in May.

"It's important for those in high-risk groups to get vaccinated, but vaccine protection wanes after a few months. Those who run to get the new vaccine may be more likely to fall ill this winter when the next wave hits, said William Schaffner, an infectious disease professor at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine and a spokesperson for the National Foundation for Infectious Diseases.

On the other hand, by late fall the major variants may have changed, rendering the vaccine less effective, said Peter Marks, the FDA's top vaccine official, at a briefing Aug. 23. He urged everyone eligible to get immunized, noting that the risk of long covid is greater in the un- and undervaccinated."

I got my updated booster Covid shot today at CVS. No problems and it is definitely the new shot.

New vaccines are available. Make an appt at cvs.com

I’ve had Covid 3 times and it has sucked each time. Takes me like a month recover

New vaccines are available. Make an appt at cvs.com

I’ve had Covid 3 times and it has sucked each time. Takes me like a month recover
Signed up for Flu and Covid (new) for tomorrow. Thank you. Only had Covid once (June EDIT/ 2001 /EDIT) and that was after I had been vaccinated. The extent of my symptoms were: One night, I sweated through four t-shirts. If the vaccine limited my symptoms to that, then it worked as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
I have 11 friends in 4 communities in 3 different states who had Covid last week. I don't think I ever had that many friends with Covid at the same time before.

Posted this in another thread but comedy is at least one remedy. Hate that anyone's loved ones are ill but man thank God the vaccines apparently work.
ETA: Were you better off 4 years ago?

Back