Democratic National Convention August 19-22 (Chicago) - Kamala DNC speech got 22% more viewer than Trump RNC speech

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 1K
  • Views: 26K
Whenever the MAGA movement dies the painful death it deserves, I'll be fascinated by who the next crop of GOP candidates will be. I really don't think they can go with anyone in the Trump orbit or anyone who gave up their dignity for Trump and will need to start completely fresh. I'd love to get back to having two serious, reality-based parties again.

Also realize I'm getting way ahead of myself and there's a long way to go before November.
I would think the Brian Kemp/Nikky Hailey group who have worked hard to stay in politically relevant without 100% all in MAGA. But I’d much prefer the Jeff Duncan’s of the world but do t know if they can ever return to the fold. Pubs do not tolerate “traitors” in their minds.

It is such a political landmine, but in a perfect world I would like to see some more pro-Palestinian messaging coming from the DNC. Perhaps there is a way to do so while also acknowledging the problems that 10/7, Hamas, etc. all present. I hope Harris can create a bit of daylight between her stance on Israel and that of Biden. Perhaps they have determined that the DNC isn't the best time to wade into it...
It is a delicate topic as you mention, but my guess is that the messaging on that topic for the headliners who might've addressed it (and especially for Harris tonight), is being calibrated around the protests outside, and how big (or small, it turns out) those headlines have been.

Harris will address the topic of Israel tonight, but I'm sure she and the Committee are relieved they haven't had to put out fires along the way, since the protests have stayed on the relatively peaceful side and haven't been stealing the headlines.

But she knows she can't dodge that subject, and also knows she needs to contrast herself against Biden's slow response to that sentiment. To what degree she will, I'm interested to see tonight.

It’s amazing how great inspiring events can make you feel about the country. Between a really fun, successful, uniting Olympics and this outstanding DNC, I’m feeling more optimistic about the direction we’re heading than I’ve felt in a long time. I am so ready for the day when Trump never appears on our TV screens and news feeds again, because his depraved negativity obscures so many things about America that are beautiful, joyful, and worth fighting for.

I am so ready for the day when Trump never appears on our TV screens and news feeds again, because his depraved negativity obscures so many things about America that are beautiful, joyful, and worth fighting for.
Exactly. Trump is simply exhausting. Most of the country is just tired of him and his endless grievance. Hopefully many of those find an alternative at the ballot box this November.

It’s amazing how great inspiring events can make you feel about the country. Between a really fun, successful, uniting Olympics and this outstanding DNC, I’m feeling more optimistic about the direction we’re heading than I’ve felt in a long time. I am so ready for the day when Trump never appears on our TV screens and news feeds again, because his depraved negativity obscures so many things about America that are beautiful, joyful, and worth fighting for.
I keep coming back to Obama’s description of Trump as the unbearable neighbor who runs his gas-powere leaf blower outside your window 24/7.

We shouldn’t kid ourselves, this is a toss-up race and there is a LOT of work to do the next 75 days, but it would be such a relief to get rid of Trump’s civic noise pollution once and for all. And the last few weeks it has finally seemed possible.

It’s been obvious for a while now but damn if this cycle hasn’t brought it into stark relief. The Dems are not just talented, they’re YOUNG. I’ve never been more optimistic we’re headed to an era in which America’s actual power centers reflect the values and priorities of the entire country, not just older white men.
It's why the GOP is so desperate to keep and hold power in as many undemocratic institutions as they can. This goes back to the Powell memorandum in the early 1970s.

Coming into the DNC I wouldn't have given them the impression that they'd be allowed to speak at all, or even be allowed in the main hall.

After Michelle's words last night? **** 'em. They either get on board or get left behind.
IMO it's fairly troubling that the DNC is giving so much spotlight to self-proclaimed former Republicans, who are likely to be future Republicans just as soon as somebody not named Trump but with all the same beliefs and policies is on the ticket, and shutting out and shutting down the people who

a) are responsible for setting in motion the events that have led to the current momentum for Dems;
b) have been key constituents of the Dem voter base for generations; and
c) have a very clearly righteous humanitarian cause;

It will be disappointing if the takeaway from this DNC, as energetic and hopeful as it has been in the moment, is that the party is running backwards and towards the center rather than riding this emergent wave of progress.

The Democratic Party has an enormous umbrella that it must include all sorts of ideas, policies, etc., so bringing in more actual conservatives to me is just an extension of this. If Democrats are the party of values, dignity and respect, and that includes former or even current Republicans, then I think that's fantastic.

IMO it's fairly troubling that the DNC is giving so much spotlight to self-proclaimed former Republicans, who are likely to be future Republicans just as soon as somebody not named Trump but with all the same beliefs and policies is on the ticket, and shutting out and shutting down the people who

a) are responsible for setting in motion the events that have led to the current momentum for Dems;

It will be disappointing if the takeaway from this DNC, as energetic and hopeful as it has been in the moment, is that the party is running backwards and towards the center rather than riding this emergent wave of progress.

It's because if we dont win NOW there may be no future election to care about

Oh come on. "So much spotlight"? Geoff Duncan, Stephanie Grisham, Adam Kinzinger.

Meanwhile, major addresses have included both Obamas, Bill Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Shawn Fain and Lil Jon. Seems pretty good to me. Also plenty of lesser stars like AOC have had the chance to shine.

Back