Democratic National Convention August 19-22 (Chicago) - Kamala DNC speech got 22% more viewer than Trump RNC speech

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 1K
  • Views: 26K
My wife and older daughter are visiting Chicago for a couple days and they sent me this pic from their hotel room. Yes, the T on the building to the right is the beginning of what you think it is :sick:. Amazing view otherwise.

1000005291.jpg
I have a very similar photo from my hotel in 2017

Melissa Villasenor Oops GIF by Saturday Night Live
Seems like something that they could have had a vote on to search and replace before releasing, but the rules for these kinds of things can be all kinds of complicated.

NYT with an interesting back-story of Harris’s narrow (and unexpected) victory for California AG back in 2010 …

“The first thing to know about Kamala Harris’s campaign for California attorney general is that she was not necessarily favored to win.

It was 2010 — the pinnacle of the Tea Party’s power — and Ms. Harris was running statewide for the first time and struggling to shed the same San Francisco liberal label that Donald J. Trump is yet again wielding as an epithet.

Ms. Harris was facing a formidable Republican foe that year in Steve Cooley, the popular and moderate district attorney of Los Angeles County.

Mr. Cooley’s reputation as an evenhanded, corruption-busting prosecutor had put him tied or narrowly ahead of Ms. Harris entering October — largely on the strength of his uncommon popularity for a Republican in Los Angeles. He had won election three times in what is the state’s most populous Democratic stronghold.

Ms. Harris was running out of both time and money when she arrived at their only debate on the first Tuesday of October. Then, about 45 minutes into the hourlong clash, Mr. Cooley gave an answer that was frank, fateful and foolish.

… Ms. Harris would escape a month later with one of the narrowest statewide victories in modern California history — by less than 0.85 percent of the vote. Yet even on election night, Ms. Harris’s chances had appeared so bleak that Mr. Cooley declared victory. The race remained unsettled for three weeks.

… Inside the practice courtroom, Mr. Leonard outlined that the $150,000 salary of the California attorney general was half of the $292,300 salary that Mr. Cooley was earning as the local district attorney. If he double-dipped by taking a taxpayer-paid pension as a former district attorney and a taxpayer-paid salary as the state attorney general, Mr. Cooley would be in line to make more than $400,000.

“Do you plan to double-dip by taking both a pension and your salary as attorney general?” Mr. Leonard asked.

“Yes, I do,” Mr. Cooley said without hesitation.

He glanced at Ms. Harris. She said nothing.

“I earned it.”

But Mr. Cooley was not yet done. “I definitely earned whatever pension rights I have, and I will certainly rely upon that to supplement the very low, incredibly low salary that’s paid to the attorney general,” he added.

“It was tone deaf,” Mr. Riggs said. “It was startling,” Mr. Leonard said. “It was awful,” Mr. Morain said. “It was jaw-dropping,” Mr. Smith said. …”

(Cont’d)

“…
For her part, Ms. Harris had stood in silence. Mr. Morain, who has since written a book about Ms. Harris’s career, called it her “Vin Scully moment,” likening it to how the famous baseball broadcaster often let the sound of the game speak for itself.

“Anything you’d like to add to that?” Mr. Riggs offered.

“Go for it, Steve!” Ms. Harris said during the debate, letting loose her now familiar laugh. “You earned it!” …”

I suspect he only got a spot if it included an endorsement (and did not expect he would endorse the Harris/Walz ticket — he pretty clearly wants to endorse Trump and wouldn’t be surprised if half his union members agree, TBH).

Well damn.

“Singer and songwriter James Taylor, country music star Mickey Guyton and “Something More Than Free” singer Jason Isbell will perform Monday night at the Democratic National Convention, according to a convention official.”

Back