Growing up Gen-X

Grew up in Miami and then my family lived to Costa Rica in the early 80s.

I remember being a latchkey kid when we live in Miami. My dad would work long hours and my mom shuttled us kids around town while also helping to take care of her parents. That meant a lot of afternoons that I spent at our apartment by myself; invariably I'd go around and explore on my BMX bike (had a badass Ripper). On weekdays we were supposed to be back by 6pm...on weekends we would pretty much roam til about 8PM (my first digital Casio came in handy for keeping track of time). Part of the time welded in Miami was right by the beach...I remember going to the beach with friends and cousins, we had a competition how far in we could swim on an inflatable raft (really pushed it this one time, getting out to a marker). We also went to the pool pretty much every day during the summer after going to camp in the morning (that's where I discovered American foods like Bologna sandwiches, PB&J, Mac and cheese, pudding pops, Country Time lemonade, etc).

Flag football in the fall, soccer in the winter and baseball in the spring. By fourth grade I would bike to school (holy hell...I was 9 years old). I remember getting detention for repeated tardiness to school: too many times I'd try to find a shortcut that would end up taking longer. I read a lot as a kid (won one of those MS Book a Thons). My family was big on movies...we'd try to go 3-4 times per week (think that was my Dad's way to unwind). Arcades were the ultimate; we had a small arcade at our condo with five games (Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Centipede, Joust, and Tempest), but going to the bigger arcades was the ultimate treat.

Same year for me and all sounds familiar.. Only it was raking fall leaves with an old am/fm pocket radio and antenna, listening to Woody Durham call UNC games. "Here come the bashful boys in blue, donning Carolina Blue headgear with the classic UNC logo, white jerseys, and blue britches."
And, Woody with the exciting, lengthy run from scrimmage…….that nets 2 yards.

I found Penny and Sears Christmas catalogs online. Catalogs & Wishbooks

Man, browsing the NFL merchandise really brought back memories. I had the coolest Roger Staubach jersey, straight from Sears. Notice this page had two brand new teams, the Bucs and Seahawks.
Screenshot_20240904_054853_Chrome.jpg

1000012378.webp

Wow, and I just saw this listed for $14,750 on Ebay. I need to go through my son's closet and pull out all those boxes of cards and notebooks with sleeve holder pages. He may be sitting on a gold mine and college tuition for both kids.
My mom burnt boxes of all the cards I collected from around the mid 70s to early 80s. Came home from school one day and they were sacrificed at the altar in the name of cleaning my room up. Started collecting again and made sure that this time they wouldn't be sacrificed at the altar. I need to quit being lazy and start going through those cards one day.

Have almost the complete 86 Fleer set but the Jordan rookie card and few more random cards are missing. Someone stole the Jordan rookie card out of the binder I had all the cards in while I had it at school and was letting people look at them. Unfortunately I didn't notice it till months later. Plus this was the year when the cards fist came out, so while I was pissed when I noticed it was missing, it was nothing compared to how mad I was years down the line when that card peaked in value.

Still have 2x of these

Screenshot 2024-09-03 225059.png

Last edited:
For real?😮
Yeah, I was spending the summer with my father in Rhode Island. A tornado picked our house up off the foundation, rotated it about 15 degrees, then dropped it back down. It fell down into the basement in one corner... the one where all my toys were stored. The first house destroyed by a tornado in the state of RI in over 100 years.

Yeah, I was spending the summer with my father in Rhode Island. A tornado picked our house up off the foundation, rotated it about 15 degrees, then dropped it back down. It fell down into the basement in one corner... the one where all my toys were stored. The first house destroyed by a tornado in the state of RI in over 100 years.
Thats wild
Had someone in your house used the Lords name in vain or something?

1000012378.webp

Wow, and I just saw this listed for $14,750 on Ebay. I need to go through my son's closet and pull out all those boxes of cards and notebooks with sleeve holder pages. He may be sitting on a gold mine and college tuition for both kids.
I have a couple of those, but I doubt the grade out a 10.

I found Penny and Sears Christmas catalogs online. Catalogs & Wishbooks

Man, browsing the NFL merchandise really brought back memories. I had the coolest Roger Staubach jersey, straight from Sears. Notice this page had two brand new teams, the Bucs and Seahawks.
Screenshot_20240904_054853_Chrome.jpg
Wow. I had a bunch of these.

Anytime report cards came out I dragged my dad straight to Sears for one of these and/or some Star Wars toys.

You can if your parents let you.
We have a 3 yr old. I hope we let ours roam, but will any friend's folks let the friend roam too?. I wonder if we'll end up sticking an Apple AirTag inside a shoe. I hope not.

OMG, so fun to put these two things together …

IMG_2694.jpeg

IMG_2692.jpeg
My cousin and me, Xmas 1973 🤶
Great pic. Noticed the 70s looking wood paneling in the background. Looks just like what we had in our house growing up.

Anyway, who was led guitar?

Great pic. Noticed the 70s looking wood paneling in the background. Looks just like what we had in our house growing up.

Anyway, who was led guitar?
Hah. My cousin was almost a year older, so him.

Back