I do want conservatives on here

All of that is fine. Transgender came into the national consciousness super-fast. After slavery, there were black people oppressed under color of law for a century before the country said, "huh, maybe we should wake up and treat them like people." Then, starting primarily in the late 70s, gay people stood up and said, "hey we're here too" but of course we had known about them for a long time. Still, it took two decades for Americans to warm up and start thinking that maybe they didn't understand homosexuality all that well. Trans, by contrast, has been super-marginal until less than a decade ago. It caught a lot of people off guard, including me.

So, in 2019, you didn't understand transgender. I can understand that. It's certainly forgivable. What matters now are whether you (and perhaps the AP) learned.

If your 2024 self could be transported back to 2019, would you have done the same thing you did? If not, then good for you and I don't think this incident should define you. If so, then there is a problem.
I don't have any evidence he identified as transgender. AP has unnamed friend saying he used female name only when dressed as female. My memory is he had a job he worked as a man but it's been 5 years. Two stories. First there was no issue as we used police report. Second we had one person oin Washington DC saying he was transgender a person who had never met him and admitted that to me and the mother whose home he lived in. So, yes, I would do same.

I don't have any evidence he identified as transgender. AP has unnamed friend saying he used female name only when dressed as female. My memory is he had a job he worked as a man but it's been 5 years. Two stories. First there was no issue as we used police report. Second we had one person on Washington DC saying he was transgender a person who had never met him and admitted that to me and the mother whose home he lived in. So, yes, I would do same.
If I knew he identified as transgender yes we would use she. No doubt. We actually had gone back and done that in a story years before.

If I knew he identified as transgender yes we would use she. No doubt. We actually had gone back and done that in a story years before.
Good. Speaking for myself, I no longer see a story here, so to speak. It would be pretty damn arrogant of me to come down hard on you about what you should have done, when I wasn't there, when I've never been a newspaper editor and have barely set foot in a news room.

Now, your editorial about the ZZLP? I'm sorry, that's going to live in infamy. It's also harmless in the big scheme of things. It's closer to the clevel play than to a journalistic sin.

Yea. Assuming talking about me. Yes. A person was murdered. We got info from cops. Said he was male. Didn't think much of it. He apparently was wearing a bra and had penis. Human right person emailed and asked me to change to a she. Obit had as a he. I contacted his mother and she said call him a he. She was furious and hurt. Meanwhile HR people were threatening to picket and contact CNN. We stayed with he. I guess honoring his mother's wishes instead of a person who had never met him and was exploiting his death makes me a bigot.
I don’t see anything wrong with what ‘79 did.

A horrific murder happened. That’s the issue.

The Mom wanted her “baby” referred to as “he.” She’s a grieving mother.

‘79, did law enforcement find the murderer? If so, was he convicted?

Doing what mom wanted in that case was absolutely the right thing to do. Damn what anyone else thinks.

Here are stories we ran.

After this one is when Human Rights Campaign tried to get involved and I spoke with his mother about her wishes. They kept bugging me, were threatening, and after firsr conversation I made sure to protect myself and have my boss monitor the conversations. I believe the head of HRC then was a UNC grad who identified as a they, though I could be wrong. As I said they threatened to protest and call CNN, but neither happened. The following is the followup story.

It has only been 5 years to my guess is guy is out on bond and awaiting trial.

I remember asking the sheriff about motive, thinking that perhaps the guy represented as a female and they were getting into it and the alleged killer grabbed some penis and lost it, but the sheriff said he did not think that was the motive. Pretty much all I know or remember. Again, the mother is the one we were concerned about. I did find two facebook profiles for him, one under Avery Scrulock and the other I think Chanel Scurlock where he was in makeup.. Clearly had a double life. He was 23.

Doing what mom wanted in that case was absolutely the right thing to do. Damn what anyone else thinks.
I literally asked the HRC person whose wishes they thought I would honor, the mother who was grieving, or someone from HRC and that person said something like "me." They adopted a very threatening tone dealing with me quickly.

I literally asked the HRC person whose wishes they thought I would honor, the mother who was grieving, or someone from HRC and that person said something like "me." They adopted a very threatening tone dealing with me quickly.
You did the right thing in this case based on everything said here. Seems to me to be the same issue we have now with the boxing controversy but in reverse....someone with so much intent to make an issue that they lose all scope of humanity.

What is this editorial super refers to?
It happened some years ago and I don't remember all the particulars, but I believe that heel79 ran an article he wrote in his paper in which he mentioned the IC ZZLP board as an example of liberal intolerance or some such. It became quite the topic of conversation on the old ZZLP for some time. I'm sure someone else could provide more details.

Last edited:
Gender vs. Species.

Psychologically speaking, humans tend to think of dogs as male and cats are female

It happened some time ago and I don't remember all the particulars, but I believe that heel79 ran an article he wrote in his paper in which he mentioned the IC ZZLP board as an example of liberal intolerance or some such. It became quite the topic of conversation on the old ZZLP for some time. I'm sure someone else could provide more details.
That is fair. I have written by my count about 6000 edits/columns and zzl took up a few paragraphs in one but someone shared and it caused a stir. His characterization is fair as well but zzl was not as I recall central to to column. Not an edit. I actually tried to find but could not. So awesome someone has recalled 5 year old post and now another from several years back. Kinda flattered.

Last edited:
I'll be honest 79 feels like a cousin and being a Lumber River Scot from his neck of the woods I kind of feel like he gets persecuted more than he should but no more than anybody else.
I love you guys because there is no dominate paradigm and we're all about fixing the problem and not the blame if we want to succeed.

I'll answer that. The old board allowed conservatives, or anyone who wasn't a complete white apologist/ social justice warrior, to be insulted freely but if they returned fire their posts would be removed. If they persisted they were banned for "trolling."

Remains to be seen if this board is any different but I'm hopeful.

This post was meant to quote korgguy1971. Haven't gotten handle of this board yet

Last edited:
I'll answer that. The old board allowed conservatives, or anyone who wasn't a complete white apologist/ social justice warrior, to be insulted freely but if they returned fire their posts would be removed. If they persisted they were banned for "trolling."

Remains to be seen if this board is any different but I'm hopeful.

This post was meant to quote korgguy1971. Haven't gotten handle of this board yet
This just simply isn’t true no matter how many times conservatives make the claim.

^Integrity is just a word in the dictionary to you, isn't it? Anyone can go to the ZZLP and look at the banned posters thread and see you're straight up lying.

^Integrity is just a word in the dictionary to you, isn't it? Anyone can go to the ZZLP and look at the banned posters thread and see you're straight up lying.
You realize nobody here cares about how persecuted you feel, right? This isn’t a safe space to spout nonsense without a reaction or challenge. You won’t find vindication here.

Your initial introduction to this community is based around grievance. I’m sure it will only get better from here.

Back