JD Vance Catch-all | “we have to destroy the universities in this country”

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 835
  • Views: 18K
  • Politics 

Pretty interesting and nuanced fact-check of JD Vance’s version of his grandparents marriage, which he says is the basis of his strenuous objection to divorce.

Turns out, according to public records, his grandparents were in divorce proceedings twice (which goes unmentioned in his book — maybe he was unaware since it happened before he was born), and the second time, in 1981, resulting in a legal separation with alimony and everything but without dissolving their marriage. They lived apart after that, though still spent time together (most of their time per Vance).

He also seems to have misrepresented the help they got moving to Ohio and support after they got there from his grandfather’s mom and step-father, who already lived there. Again, though, this could be a function of time. He was born after his grandparents permanently legally separated and so it is not surprising that by then his grandmother didn’t get along with her mother-in-law in his memory (if she ever really did).

I’ve been aware for some time of how different my grandparents as I knew them were from the lives I later learned they lived before I was born and before my parents were born. It’s almost like JD Vance didn’t investigate his grandparent’s lives beyond how he remembered them, which is his right, but given that he wants to impose his new moral code on Americans based on his version of their lives and his adopted religion (his grandparents were Christian but not Catholic), it bears further consideration whether he is correctly representing the marital history that he describes as formative to his world view.
My wife and I have been married for forty three years and decided during COVID we needed more than separate bedrooms. So I got a walking distance apartment and to be honest these last two years have been cathartic. We still love each other have no third party involved so it's like being in our own space without judgement but adjustments. We were still planning on moving to Costa Rica together if Joe lost but are both working hard for Kamala! Relationships are hard especially the more honest you get with yourself and each other. Needless to say I have respect for his grandparents not so much for him.

My wife and I have been married for forty three years and decided during COVID we needed more than separate bedrooms. So I got a walking distance apartment and to be honest these last two years have been cathartic. We still love each other have no third party involved so it's like being in our own space without judgement but adjustments. We were still planning on moving to Costa Rica together if Joe lost but are both working hard for Kamala! Relationships are hard especially the more honest you get with yourself and each other. Needless to say I have respect for his grandparents not so much for him.
I know this isn't the purpose of this thread, but if you started another thread about this I would ask you so many questions.

By skin color, yeah maybe a bit darker. And there are plenty of folks on that side of the aisle who see that as ominous.
+1. For me one of the most telling photos in modern politics was when the new House Democratic majority was sworn in in January 2019. It was a photo of the entire House chamber, and the difference between the two parties was stark - on one side were the new majority Democrats, who were visibly very diverse with lots of women and people of color, and on the other side the Republican members - nearly all white and male - were just staring at the new majority with a mixture of surprise, disdain, and fear. Pretty much the story of modern American politics.

Back