Mass Shooting & Gun Violence catch-all | Kentucky Sheriff kills KY Judge in courthouse?

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 519
  • Views: 8K
  • Politics 
Right, that is him. He shared that.

He claimed to be a changed man but his postings defy that claim.

I’m absolutely a changed person, however I’m not going to let someone insult me or walk all over me just because of who I was in the past.

Honestly, given how deeply everyone feels about the topic, I think while there are obvious disagreements so deep maybe they can’t be bridged, overall the discussion has been heated without getting too ugly. Just hoping we can keep it that way. 2MBC has been pretty clear on his position and others have been pretty clear about absolutely disagreeing or disagreeing to a significant extent.

Breathe Chill Out GIF by CSDRMS

Since I posted Kamala’s response from yesterday, knowing it may not help cool the temperature in this discussion, here is Trump’s from last night

Any time there's a tragedy and someone starts to advocate for gun rights instead of addressing the root problems, you can throw their opinions out. They have not and never will care about lives lost due to gun violence. They have zero empathy.

Against high-income countries, the US is the outlier for gun deaths/violence. 15% of deaths for individuals under 20 are due to gun violence.

This is a symptom of a system in desperate need of change. And the GOP sends meager, pointless "thoughts and prayers" platitudes to grieving families across this country. Might as well spit in their faces.

If your gun is kept properly stored, the risk of an accidental injury is zero. If you are suicidal, you shouldn't have access to a gun, or a car, or any sharp objects, or any rope, or any medications, or any bridges or tall buildings, etc. I'm all for punishing people who don't store their guns correctly and whose kids accidentally or intentionally get ahold of them and harm themselves or someone else.

If you want to get pro-2A people to budge on gun control, do something about the people that are already illegally carrying and using guns. When seconds count the police are minutes to hours away. People realized in 2020 during the pandemic and after the riots that the government can't protect everyone all the time. At some point responsibility falls upon the individual, and taking away an individual's right to defend themselves or their family is a non-starter for many people, myself included.
Aye, there's the rub. pro-2A people block every commonsense attempt to make it more difficult for people to illegally carry and use guns. You claim to be the great defender of minorities getting killed in gang shootings. Where do you think their guns are coming from?

The guns killing young black and Latino men in gangs by and large start out their lives in legal transactions. But we can't have common sense things like national registries to make it harder for those legal guns to make their way to the hands of people using them for illegal purposes. We can't have every gun registered. We can't have the person a gun is registered to be responsible (on some level) for crimes committed with that gun. We can't restrict the sale of guns to licensed gun dealers only who will perform a full background check. We can't require a license to buy and carry a gun which requires a periodic mental fitness test. We can't set common sense restrictions on the types of guns people can buy or the number of bullets they can have in a mag.

There are VERY easy, VERY impactful things which could be done to prevent guns from getting in the hands of people shooting up schools, as well as the guns ending up in gang shootings. pro-2A people do everything possible to stop these commonsense laws and restrictions from happening... then claim the only thing we can do is pray after kids get shot and killed.

Aye, there's the rub. pro-2A people block every commonsense attempt to make it more difficult for people to illegally carry and use guns. You claim to be the great defender of minorities getting killed in gang shootings. Where do you think their guns are coming from?

The guns killing young black and Latino men in gangs by and large start out their lives in legal transactions. But we can't have common sense things like national registries to make it harder for those legal guns to make their way to the hands of people using them for illegal purposes. We can't have every gun registered. We can't have the person a gun is registered to be responsible (on some level) for crimes committed with that gun. We can't restrict the sale of guns to licensed gun dealers only who will perform a full background check. We can't require a license to buy and carry a gun which requires a periodic mental fitness test. We can't set common sense restrictions on the types of guns people can buy or the number of bullets they can have in a mag.

There are VERY easy, VERY impactful things which could be done to prevent guns from getting in the hands of people shooting up schools, as well as the guns ending up in gang shootings. pro-2A people do everything possible to stop these commonsense laws and restrictions from happening... then claim the only thing we can do is pray after kids get shot and killed.
Pubs don't care about common sense and logic. They care about their guns so they can have something to make them feel like a badass. They care more about that than human lives.

I'm in favor of all of the suggestions you listed. But they are nonstarters for many others, unfortunately. The problem is that for every person suggesting the reasonable actions you made above, you have someone else advocating for much more serious restrictions. You have gun control groups admitting in internal documents that an AWB is a means to achieving a handgun ban. Instead of meeting somewhere in the middle, you have anti-2A groups asking for too much and pro-2A groups conceding nothing. If you can get the NRA and Everytown to agree on something, it might stand a chance of passing. Good luck, though.

I'm in favor of all of the suggestions you listed. But they are nonstarters for many others, unfortunately. The problem is that for every person suggesting the reasonable actions you made above, you have someone else advocating for much more serious restrictions. You have gun control groups admitting in internal documents that an AWB is a means to achieving a handgun ban. Instead of meeting somewhere in the middle, you have anti-2A groups asking for too much and pro-2A groups conceding nothing. If you can get the NRA and Everytown to agree on something, it might stand a chance of passing. Good luck, though.
That's BS whatabout-ism. If pro-2A people were willing to compromise, common sense changes would happen. They refuse to compromise so kids keep getting killed. Full stop.

There is no path to achieving a handgun ban. Zero. It's a BS slippery slope argument with no rational basis. It's used by the gun industry to scare people into buying more guns. Pro-2A people are being manipulated and treated like morons by the gun industry for profit... at the expense of children being killed on a daily basis.

I have no problem with what people do with weapons on their own property. Fire your tank in your backyard for all I care as long as the shells stay on your property. I've got MAJOR problems with guns in public spaces. I have MUCH more fear of unhinged "law and order" MAGA-types than gang members. I've seen the gun-nut vigilantes at my business and, honestly, they are a menace to social order. Many are crazy. Yet, South Carolina allows these idiots to carry guns in public. God help us. The countdown is on for a mass shooting in this god-forsaken O.K. Corral state of South Cackalacky.

That's BS whatabout-ism. If pro-2A people were willing to compromise, common sense changes would happen. They refuse to compromise so kids keep getting killed. Full stop.

There is no path to achieving a handgun ban. Zero. It's a BS slippery slope argument with no rational basis. It's used by the gun industry to scare people into buying more guns. Pro-2A people are being manipulated and treated like morons by the gun industry for profit... at the expense of children being killed on a daily basis.
I loved the placement of a local Palmetto State Armory gun store ad - right after a story about the carnage in Georgia. :mad:

If your gun is kept properly stored, the risk of an accidental injury is zero. If you are suicidal, you shouldn't have access to a gun, or a car, or any sharp objects, or any rope, or any medications, or any bridges or tall buildings, etc. I'm all for punishing people who don't store their guns correctly and whose kids accidentally or intentionally get ahold of them and harm themselves or someone else.

If you want to get pro-2A people to budge on gun control, do something about the people that are already illegally carrying and using guns. When seconds count the police are minutes to hours away. People realized in 2020 during the pandemic and after the riots that the government can't protect everyone all the time. At some point responsibility falls upon the individual, and taking away an individual's right to defend themselves or their family is a non-starter for many people, myself included.
There’s no definition of what “stored properly” is.

Imagine how privileged someone must be to not think that crime exists. How out of touch.

Unfortunately, it did happen. The good news is that it doesn't matter what you think, you're never taking my firearms away. Or anyone else's. You lost the battle and the war. Hell, I might go out and buy another one today just because I can.

And people wonder why the 2A is an issue that is a poison pill for Democrats. "Hey, good people. I'm here to tell you that crime doesn't exist, and I want to take your guns away. Don't believe your eyes, your ears, or what you have experienced. Just believe me. I read a book once so I know everything about your life." LMAO

Don't bother replying. You're ignored.
Trump is a convicted felon, tell me more about crime.

But this is about school shootings.
Our laws should be that anyone walking around outside of the home (or designated places like a gun range) with a gun should be deemed a threat and shot or arrested on sight. In my opinion.
There needs to be a methodology for hunters to safely transport their guns to where they are going to hunt.

There’s no definition of what “stored properly” is.
True, because any time there is a proposal to define this and standardize, it is met with resistance from the NRA and the sheep who just want to be disagreeable.

Just like most of the bullshit coming from the right that is really nothing more than road blocks of any change.

As always, the left is held to a higher standard than the right. Pro 2A folks can say it should be legal to carry machine guns and somehow we end up blaming some people who want a handgun ban. There will always be people at the far ends of the spectrum on this issue. Only one gets everything they want.

Don't see how you can accept limits on free speech (you can't shout fire in a crowded theater) and not on guns. That suggests that amendments were meant to have commonsense exceptions.

I think of it like transportation. You never had to have a license to walk. When cities became common, you had to be careful how and where you rode. By the 19th century , you had speed limits. Now you get a driver's license. If you want to drive as an occupation, you have to get a CDL. You have to have more training if you want to fly, more for a helicopter, more more multiengine and more for jets. The more dangerous, the more training and the more physical and mental restrictions. I don't see why that couldn't be an approach to gun control.

Back