Rashad McCants

I loved McCants as a player. No doubt he was a huge reason we won the 05 title and helped officially put us back on the map. For that specifically, I’m grateful.

All of the things he’s said about UNC since then though means that it’s a no brainer that he’ll never be included in stuff like today. I don’t necessarily feel offended by the things McCants has said, but if he’s going to die on that hill then he naturally is going to be ostracized from the program. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Dude has mental issues. Has a lot of BPD traits. I hope there is a reconciliation at some point. Til then though, distance is best.

If he’s mentally ill, then shouldn’t he be welcomed and supported?

There would be no championship without McCants. There would not be subsequent championships without him. He turned the program around.
not while he's actively attempting to harm the program / Roy / his teammates. again, he went on Gilbert Arenas' podcast just 6 months ago and spewed nonsensical lies. those are very recent wounds.

where in the hell is the care and concern for Roy and the rest of the guys from all of you devils advocate folks?

i have no doubt that most people would welcome him back with open arms if he made real attempts to address his issues and apologize for his transgressions. until then, distance is best with someone like him.

and i loved rashad's game, he and felton were by far my favorite players during that era. but "he turned the program around...." huh? that entire team and staff turned the program around, not rashad mccants.

While McCants was certainly an integral part of the 2005 national championship team, I don’t think anyone can say with any degree of certainty that the Heels would not have won a national championship without him. Even without McCants, that was a great and loaded team. Heels won the four games he missed that season, including the thriller against Duke. I think had McCants not been on the team that season, they still would have been among the favorites to win it all.

All that said, I was a big McCants fan at the time. He was an amazing talent, and he definitely made the team better.

While McCants was certainly an integral part of the 2005 national championship team, I don’t think anyone can say with any degree of certainty that the Heels would not have won a national championship without him. Even without McCants, that was a great and loaded team. Heels won the four games he missed that season, including the thriller against Duke. I think had McCants not been on the team that season, they still would have been among the favorites to win it all.

All that said, I was a big McCants fan at the time. He was an amazing talent, and he definitely made the team better.

He was an amazing player, and I loved watching him. I hope he can put his life together and become a happy, healthy person...a really really important part of that process is repairing - silently and behind the scenes - relationships that he's damaged over the years. I truly hope he does that (and it's clear he hasn't yet)...it would be good for everyone involved, and most of all him.

I loved McCants as a player. No doubt he was a huge reason we won the 05 title, and helped officially put us back on the map. For that specially, I’m grateful.

All of the things he’s said about UNC since then though means that it’s a no brainer that he’ll never be included in stuff like today. I don’t necessarily feel offended by the things McCants has said, but if he’s going to die on that hill then he naturally is going to be ostracized from the program. It is what it is.
I feel the same. I thought McCants was the most talented player on the team save Marvin.

Rashad's life didn't work out the way he hoped it would and it's a shame he blamed Roy instead of looking in the mirror. If he had been a little more self-aware, he'd still be beloved at UNC.

There would be no championship without McCants. There would not be subsequent championships without him. He turned the program around.
This is an absurd statement. UNC is, always has been, and hopefully always will be greater than any one player. I loved McCants as a player, he was one of our best, but Carolina basketball would've been just fine without him. I certainly appreciate his contributions as a player, but as a Carolina family member since then, he's left a lot to be desired. Every family has their black sheep, evidently that's the role McCants has chosen to play in the Carolina family. Doesn't mean anybody hates him but you don't necessarily look forward to seeing him at Thanksgiving...

This is an absurd statement. UNC is, always has been, and hopefully always will be greater than any one player. I loved McCants as a player, he was one of our best, but Carolina basketball would've been just fine without him. I certainly appreciate his contributions as a player, but as a Carolina family member since then, he's left a lot to be desired. Every family has their black sheep, evidently that's the role McCants has chosen to play in the Carolina family. Doesn't mean anybody hates him but you don't necessarily look forward to seeing him at Thanksgiving...
Basketball would not have been “fine”. You seemingly forget the dire situation of the early 2000s.

Basketball would not have been “fine”. You seemingly forget the dire situation of the early 2000s.
It totally would have been fine. The success we had during the Roy Williams era wasn’t because of Rashad McCants. Roy would have had great success at UNC even if McCants never set foot on campus.

If McCants hadn't come to Carolina, somebody else would have. We still had Felton, May, Marvin, Jawad, and Hansbrough in the pipeline. We would've been fine...

If McCants hadn't come to Carolina, somebody else would have. We still had Felton, May, Marvin, Jawad, and Hansbrough in the pipeline. We would've been fine...
There’d be no Marvin. There may have been no Felton or May. Nobody wants to play for a loser. Do you remember 2002/2003? McCants also didn’t get along with Doherty. Without that conflict then maybe Doherty does leave as early as he did.

A greater baller but he's a narcissist who craves attention, either positive or negative..

Rashad, Rashad .... How can we miss you if you won't go away?

There’d be no Marvin. There may have been no Felton or May. Nobody wants to play for a loser. Do you remember 2002/2003/2004?
Why would there be no Marvin, Felton, or May? None if them came to Chapel Hill because of McCants. and I’m pretty sure Roy would would have landed Marvin. Hell, when Marvin committed (in July 2003), he had no idea whether McCants, Felton, or May would still be in college after the 2004 season. There was a strong likelihood they would not be. And you say no one wants to play for a loser, but Felton, May, and McCants decided to come to Chapel Hill despite what was happening in 2002.

Back