Smith Center Replacement/Renovation

I'm generallly against public money funding sports venues. Especially single purpose like NFL that are used a few days a year. Owners cry but after afer a few years they reap huge profits upon selling. But..
But a facility like Mercedes Benz in Atlanta is used so often on non-NFL Sundays that there are Chik-fil-a's inside the building. They just opened a 1000 room Hilton adjacent to the stadium. Getting off topic, but I think Charlotte is making a big mistake spending more money on BofA rather than building a new stadium.

But a facility like Mercedes Benz in Atlanta is used so often on non-NFL Sundays that there are Chik-fil-a's inside the building. They just opened a 1000 room Hilton adjacent to the stadium. Getting off topic, but I think Charlotte is making a big mistake spending more money on BofA rather than building a new stadium.
Charolette should be spending zero dollars. Let the owners pony up.

I am curious and not familiar the place. What other events and percent of the facility is used on all those other days?

If they are going to spend the money I'd rather see a new stadium (with a roof) as well. If they are going to have artificial turf anyway, might as well put a roof on it to make the building more useful.

I am curious and not familiar the place. What other events and percent of the facility is used on all those other days?
Since opening in 2017, Mercedes-Benz Stadium has been lauded as the busiest stadium in the United States hosting more than 50 events and three million guests annually:
  • Atlanta Falcons (8 reg season home games)
  • Atlanta United Soccer (17 home games)
  • Numerous major concerts (Taylor Swift played 2 nights)
  • College Football Kickoff games on Labor Day weekend
  • SEC Football Championship (annually)
  • Celebration Bowl (annually)
  • Peach Bowl (annually)
  • College Football Playoff National Championship Game (2018 and 2025)
  • 2026 FIFA World Cup Site (including a semi final match)
  • Super Bowl (2019)
  • Final Four (cancelled in covid year, rescheduled for 2031)

New hotel adjacent to stadium (and convention center)
20190218_GWCC-Aerial-View-1246x700.jpg

Since opening in 2017, Mercedes-Benz Stadium has been lauded as the busiest stadium in the United States hosting more than 50 events and three million guests annually:
  • Peach Bowl (annually)
  • Super Bowl (2019)

That's pretty good. But 50 plus a few days...

I cant believe there is any talk of doing work on BofA stadium other than normal maintenance work. If they want to attract fans to the stadium, improve the team.

• Peach Bowl (annually)
  • Super Bowl (2019)

Wow. 30 times whole times a year. Incredible.

Not to beat a dead horse nor am I discounting what you are saying, Or calling you out. Just this.

I do find it ironic that Chik f a is locating where it is most noted for the Falcons. When are most NFL games played? Sunday, Sunday, Sunday. When do Chiks close? Sunday, Sunday, Sunday. (yes i know their HQ is Atlanta).

Wow. 30 times whole times a year. Incredible.
I think you're being a bit disingenuous here and I say that as someone who is not at all a fan of public money used for sports venues. First off, it's over 50 dates a year according to the post you quoted. Secondly, I can tell you that is HIGH usage for any kind of presentation venue. Most hotel conference centers don't see that kind of traffic because big events take days to set up for and tear down. Figure a week before and after any major event to change over to a different usage. It's actually pretty amazing that they are getting 50 uses out of it. Those hotel conference centers probably average 25-30 uses per year, take up as much footprint as the entire rest of the hotel, and are VERY profitable. So it can be done.

I'm generallly against public money funding sports venues. Especially single purpose like NFL that are used a few days a year. Owners cry but after afer a few years they reap huge profits upon selling. But..

One of the differences with PNC was it provided a much needed place for concerts, Disney on Ice, etc to come to not just for the lolers and Canes. So it is visited and used by more than just sport fans.

Greensboro had been the closest for oh so many years. It was damn nice when I could drive 5 (um maybe a bit buzzed) miles to see a concert vs 50.

The Dean dome has shitty acoustics and ingess/egress is horrible let alone any kind of administating that stuff.

To add. Before they played a game at the DD, they had a preview ceremony deal one night. A good friend worked at Vilcom at the time and took me to it. 4th row seats.
You could be right about PNC but I'll never know. I'm not going to see a damned thing in a building draped top to bottom in Wolpfack shit. Just am not. It's their building. Everything about that building is NC State. It's a no for me.

You could be right about PNC but I'll never know. I'm not going to see a damned thing in a building draped top to bottom in Wolpfack shit. Just am not. It's their building. Everything about that building is NC State. It's a no for me.
Yeah. It does suck to see the crap hanging from the ceiling.

But by going to Charlotte or somewhere further to see Clapton or whoever vs PNC because of it gives the lolers the W. Have you not gone to Carter-Finley when the Heels play there?

And I like going to Canes games.

Yeah. It does suck to see the crap hanging from the ceiling.

But by going to Charlotte or somewhere further to see Clapton or whoever vs PNC because of it gives the lolers the W. Have you not gone to Carter-Finley when the Heels play there?

And I like going to Canes games.
I do not go to Carter Finley either. I think the last time I did John Bunting was our coach. I haven't lost a thing over there at the fairgrounds. No need for me to return. I despise those fuckers with every fiber of my being.

I think you're being a bit disingenuous here and I say that as someone who is not at all a fan of public money used for sports venues. First off, it's over 50 dates a year according to the post you quoted. Secondly, I can tell you that is HIGH usage for any kind of presentation venue. Most hotel conference centers don't see that kind of traffic because big events take days to set up for and tear down. Figure a week before and after any major event to change over to a different usage. It's actually pretty amazing that they are getting 50 uses out of it. Those hotel conference centers probably average 25-30 uses per year, take up as much footprint as the entire rest of the hotel, and are VERY profitable. So it can be done.

Cities also don’t get the revenue from sports stadium. It’s purely a handout to owners worth billions of dollars.

Last edited:
I do not go to Carter Finley either. I think the last time I did John Bunting was our coach. I haven't lost a thing over there at the fairgrounds. No need for me to return. I despise those fuckers with every fiber of my being.
images(3).jpg

They also host 200+ private events - corporate dinners, receptions, etc. The Georgia World Congress Center is next door with 1.5 million sq ft of exhibition space so not unusual for an event to spill over to the stadium for some luncheon/dinner or 'night out' event.

Back