soccer/fútbol/football/calcio/fußball

Gio update: Gio came on in the 81st minute of a tense 1-0 game and played decent, helping win a few corners. At-home Dortmund beat a solid Frankfurt side 2-0 off a brace from Jamie Bynoe-Gittens.

Could Everton finally be relegated??
As a Toffee fan, I sure hope not. But it's been a terrible start of the season for us. No GF, 7 GA. DFL. We have had similar starts [in terms of the losses] the last 3 seasons and have survived, so am hoping. We're also missing quite a few of our key players including Branthwaite. But we still have no real scoring threats...and no, I don't count DCL as one.

As a Toffee fan, I sure hope not. But it's been a terrible start of the season for us. No GF, 7 GA. DFL. We have had similar starts [in terms of the losses] the last 3 seasons and have survived, so am hoping. We're also missing quite a few of our key players including Branthwaite. But we still have no real scoring threats...and no, I don't count DCL as one.
They are playing really great today (against a league two team)!!

LFC making huge moves in the transfer market, signing Valencia's keeper, who they are immediately loaning back.

I'm gonna disagree. Rice does, very slightly, move to kick the ball away, goes down in a heap to sell being kicked, and is magically fine after realizing he's being punished.
veltman played the ball into rice and then rice barely touched it when it bounced at his feet AND it was still moving, so wouldn't have been a legal re-start by veltman there anyway. it can also be argued that tapping it into rice is the re-start. furthermore, veltman had moved the ball significantly upfield from the spot of the foul during this little bout of shithousery.

and are you really trying to argue that veltman didn't kick the shit out of rice? rice got up long before the card was handed out.

your framing of the series of events is just really bad/incorrect.

Last edited:
i mean.......in the first half joao pedro booted the ball from midfield down across the touchline in a truly blatant, obvious display of delaying a restart and kavanagh completely ignored.

then in this play rice is retreating away from the foul and veltman kicks the ball into him/his path, rice barely nudges it aside WHILE ITS STILL MOVING AND THUS NOT PLAYABLE and then veltman kicks the HELL out of him, dangerously......and rice is sent off.

mind-numbing levels of inconsistency and incompetence.

I'm gonna disagree. Rice does, very slightly, move to kick the ball away, goes down in a heap to sell being kicked, and is magically fine after realizing he's being punished.
The ball was still rolling so Brighton couldn’t even have legally taken the free kick. And who even takes a quick free kick from deep in their own corner? It was a sly move by Veltman to act like he wanted to take it so he could try and bait a card at best and kick the shit out of Rice at worst. And he got both.

i mean.......in the first half joao pedro booted the ball from midfield down across the touchline in a truly blatant, obvious display of delaying a restart and kavanagh completely ignored.

then in this play rice is retreating away from the foul and veltman kicks the ball into him/his path, rice barely nudges it aside WHILE ITS STILL MOVING AND THUS NOT PLAYABLE and then veltman kicks the HELL out of him, dangerously......and rice is sent off.

mind-numbing levels of inconsistency and incompetence.
I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but off the top of my head I came up with 5 red card incidents against Arsenal I have never seen in any other games.

Rice today (for not moving out of the way of being kicked)

Martinelli I believe 2 years ago getting 2 yellows during the same passage of play

Tomiyasu last year second yellow for taking too long on a throw in

RVP at Barcelona second yellow for shooting after the whistle for offside

David Luiz straight red against Wolves while trailing the play and the Wolves guy hitting Luiz’ knee with his backswing (red card AND penalty)

The ball was still rolling so Brighton couldn’t even have legally taken the free kick. And who even takes a quick free kick from deep in their own corner? It was a sly move by Veltman to act like he wanted to take it so he could try and bait a card at best and kick the shit out of Rice at worst. And he got both.
exactly. it was layers of shithousery from veltman and it worked better than he could've dreamed - he got away with violently kicking rice and rice got carded.

literally nothing else happens there beyond the original foul if veltman doesn't purposefully tap the ball into rice - he instigated the entire thing.

really disgraceful stuff all around. kavanagh is from manchester too, mind you.

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but off the top of my head I came up with 5 red card incidents against Arsenal I have never seen in any other games.

Rice today (for not moving out of the way of being kicked)

Martinelli I believe 2 years ago getting 2 yellows during the same passage of play

Tomiyasu last year second yellow for taking too long on a throw in

RVP at Barcelona second yellow for shooting after the whistle for offside

David Luiz straight red against Wolves while trailing the play and the Wolves guy hitting Luiz’ knee with his backswing (red card AND penalty)
i'd imagine every fanbase can come up with a list like this but it does seem like we've gotten our fair share of horrendously bad and crippling calls over the years.

Rice shouldn't have kicked the dead ball. Bit harsh for a second yellow but it was a clear delay of game. Ref missed the kick to the legs that followed. Should have been double yellows.

Back