Summer Olympics

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 758
  • Views: 10K
The pole vault is such a weird thing. How did that come about?
During the Piast and Jagellon Dynasties (10th to 16th Centuries) various orders of Teutonic Knights in Poland developed many techniques for surmounting the wall of a castle they were besieging. One of these techniques involved lightly armored young knights--carrying ropes to pull up the heavier armored older knight--using a pole to leap to the top of the battlements. This technique eventually evolved into a sport, but it is unclear whether the word "pole" refers to the device used to surmount the battlements or the nationality of the persons doing the surmounting.

During the Piast and Jagellon Dynasties (10th to 16th Centuries) various orders of Teutonic Knights in Poland developed many techniques for surmounting the wall of a castle they were besieging. One of these techniques involved lightly armored young knights--carrying ropes to pull up the heavier armored older knight--using a pole to leap to the top of the battlements. This technique eventually evolved into a sport, but it is unclear whether the word "pole" refers to the device used to surmount the battlements or the nationality of the persons doing the surmounting.
Makes sense now.

Pole vault goes back centuries….millennia.

Means of getting over a wall….across a moat or canal.

It definitely goes back to the ancient Greeks and Cretans.

It was in the 1896 Athens Olympics…..like so many of the original Olympic sports, it had its roots in military applications.
just like synchronized swimming

Pole vault goes back centuries….millennia.

Means of getting over a wall….across a moat or canal.

It definitely goes back to the ancient Greeks and Cretans.

It was in the 1896 Athens Olympics…..like so many of the original Olympic sports, it had its roots in military applications.
given that perspective I would expect Mexico to set world records in another 15 years or so.

I was not aware of that.

I was not aware of that.

Well, in defense of you, it was something that I made up in about 30 seconds after first reading the question posed. See the post immediately prior to mind for an actual discussion of where the Pole Vault originated.

I cannot believe how long these men can hold a position on the rings. I thought maybe my stream had frozen until someone in the crowd helpfully moved …

Yikes. Two competitors have face-planted in the uneven bars — especially hard to se the 16-year-old go down like that. The coach there for safety essentially did nothing to break her fall (don’t know exactly what he could have done though). At least both seemed OK.

Suni looked jittery in her practice just now.

Great routine by the second Chinese competitor just now — first excellent effort of the day. 15.500 for QIU —

Nemour sobbed after completing her routine — because she knew she had nailed it. 15.700

Lee will have to vastly outperform her Olympics scores so far on the uneven bars to get a gold or silver medal today.

Waiting for score — maybe she can get the bronze? Hard to see her taking the gold or silver.

14.800 for Lee — she gets the bronze. Memoir and Qiu were the class of the field, dusting the rest.

Back