Summer Olympics

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 758
  • Views: 10K
Wow. Caeleb Dressel was just in tears on the pool deck after not qualifying for the 100 Fly final. That was his last chance to defend one of his three individual titles from Tokyo. (Didn't make the U.S. team in the 100 Free and finished fifth in the 50 Free earlier today.) I like him a lot, so my heart breaks for him. He did win a gold in a relay last weekend and he has the mixed medley relay to go.
13th out of 16 in the semifinals is a big shocker.

Happened to see the mixed 4x400 relay heats today and the U.S. team absolutely blew away the competition — setting a world record in the process. Of course, I don’t have any idea how long that has been an event.

Happened to see the mixed 4x400 relay heats today and the U.S. team absolutely blew away the competition — setting a world record in the process. Of course, I don’t have any idea how long that has been an event.
2017 at an International relay meet. Tokyo was the first Olympics for it.

I think they now have to go woman-man-man-woman. Whereas in earlier years teams could do it in whatever order they chose.

USA Field Hockey beat South Africa 1-0. The goal was scored by UNC’s Meredith Sholder.

That was their final game since they did not qualify for the knockout stage.

2017 at an International relay meet. Tokyo was the first Olympics for it.

I think they now have to go woman-man-man-woman. Whereas in earlier years teams could do it in whatever order they chose.
The world record run, in a preliminary heat which I saw yesterday, was man-woman-man-woman. However, the first woman (second leg) had lined up in the WRONG place and would have disqualified the American Team from the race, but for at the last possible moment, an Olympic official waved that woman back to the correct area for the first baton pass. That was a bullet that whizzed past their collective ears. Raising the question - WHAT WERE THE AMERICAN TEAM OFFICIALS DOING THAT THEY DIDN'T NOTICE THAT!

Great to see Jade Carey get the bronze on vault, she has such disappoinment last Olympics. Of course it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Biles would win gold.

Vault starting now (on E! while USA Men struggle against Puerto Rico in hoops on NBC, losing 25-30 at end of the quarter).

Kurbanov with strong start with most difficultly points of any competitor … 15.433

Makes it very tough to catch him.

Irish guy slayed on Pommel horse … 15.533 … announcer gasped at score

Wow … crazy high level performances here in pommel horse … probably not a high enough difficulty to win gold … 15.300 … Nederoscik in third for now

This event is very hard to understand the scoring unless they really screw up. The difficulty is kind of hidden as opposed to other events where it's more obvious.

64-45, USA over Puerto Rico at halftime.
104-83 - USA! USA! USA! The other teams are just too good and have too much NBA talent for the USA Team to think they can walk into the court, sign a few autographs, and win, like what happened in 1992.

Pole vault goes back centuries….millennia.

Means of getting over a wall….across a moat or canal.

It definitely goes back to the ancient Greeks and Cretans.

It was in the 1896 Athens Olympics…..like so many of the original Olympic sports, it had its roots in military applications.

Back