The Music Thread

Going to see Green Day in Charlotte tonight with my son and daughter. They are playing Dookie and American Idiot in sequence plus some of their newer stuff. Looking forward to seeing them again. Saw them when they came to Raleigh in ‘17 and they put in a good show.

Going to see Green Day in Charlotte tonight with my son and daughter. They are playing Dookie and American Idiot in sequence plus some of their newer stuff. Looking forward to seeing them again. Saw them when they came to Raleigh in ‘17 and they put in a good show.
I'd like to see them live sometime. I wish I had realized they were in NC this week.

Daughter and I went to see Pink and Sheryl Crow last week. Sheryl might be the best looking 60+ yr old on the planet and sounded great.

Pink puts on a really great stadium show. I knew more of the songs than I thought I would and she has a great band.

My son and I saw Jason lsbell at a club earlier the summer. Awesome show.

I’ve never been the biggest Dire Straits fan, but I do appreciate Mark Knopfler’s talent. This song is one of my all-time favorites though and it seems to get better with every listen. Tracking live performances of the song over time, you can see and hear how Knopfler’s outlook on “Juliet” changed.

I don't know how I missed it until now, but a few months ago The Decemberists put out their first new album in a hot minute. It's very much Their Whole Deal so I am enjoying it, but I'm not sure if I like it as much as their last one (I'll Be Your Girl) yet, and definitely not as much as The Crane Wife or Hazards of Love.
1724696913525.png

Daughter and I went to see Pink and Sheryl Crow last week. Sheryl might be the best looking 60+ yr old on the planet and sounded great.

Pink puts on a really great stadium show. I knew more of the songs than I thought I would and she has a great band.

My son and I saw Jason lsbell at a club earlier the summer. Awesome show.
Pink is a hell of performer and the girl has pipes!

My favorite concerts in Cameron:

Allman Brothers
Yes
Frank Zappa
Joni Mitchell
Rod Stewart (with Rory Gallagher)
Traffic

I play some instruments (for fun) and take music seriously, though that phrase implies less pure enjoyment than analysis, it's really not the case for me. I get extremely strong dopamine hits from simple meledic "hooks"--as they are called--and stronger and deeper emotional involvement also with complexity and challenges to melodic expectations. For me, popular music has gone wrong (not really talking any specific time frame here) when it only meets simplistic expectations, as I think the key to how music rewards is both expectation and surprise. This problem has advanced over time and created a lot of listeners who have developed a kind of culturally induced musical agnosia. They don't seem to even hear music with a lot of different notes, chords and time signature changes as music at all. Rick Beato and others have examined this, and I hope the pendulum swing of cultural shifts moves back the other way again in time.
ebcbc173-d75b-424a-9e03-15eb99289843_text.gif

Oasis announces 14 dates in UK and Ireland for summer 2025.

Press release says “plans are underway for Oasis Live 25 to go to other continents outside Europe next year.”

CAN YOU TWO PLEASE JUST GET ALONG LONG ENOUGH TO COME TO THE USA???

Did anyone watch the documentary on ol' dirty on a&e? I'm a huge fan of wu, so nothing new came from it, but it was super cool to see all of the home video footage. Definitely suggest checking it out.

I'm a huge fan of Mark Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia album. I mean the title track is a duet between Knopfler and James Taylor and that's not even the best thing about that song. It's the super quirky and highly topical subject matter. I mean I can just imagine Knopfler reading a history of Mason & Dixon sailing to America to do some surveying gig work and being like "yeah, I'm gonna write a song about that".

It's also one of those albums where every track is great.

I'm a huge fan of Mark Knopfler's Sailing to Philadelphia album. I mean the title track is a duet between Knopfler and James Taylor and that's not even the best thing about that song. It's the super quirky and highly topical subject matter. I mean I can just imagine Knopfler reading a history of Mason & Dixon sailing to America to do some surveying gig work and being like "yeah, I'm gonna write a song about that".

It's also one of those albums where every track is great.

His soundtrack to Local Hero (great movie worth watching) was so dead on. Hauntingly beautiful.

Back