The Music Thread

That's my jam. I tried to play flat-pick guitar a la Doc and Tony for over 20 years before I realized I wasn't cut out for it. Now I play upright bass when playing bluegrass. For guitar, I went back to my roots of James Taylor, Paul Simon, Dylan... but I make money playing jazz in a combo. I simply croon the tunes and play rhythm guitar. (I learned the jazz chord inversions over time). Those years trying to play bluegrass guitar helps my rhythm on the swing tunes.

Only got to see him live a couple of times. Talk about exhausted by the end of the show...

grimes: You'd like a friend's band called Hillbilly Moon Explosion. They're out of Zurich. Lead guitar player is from England - killer player. He's got all the licks. Recently toured America

That's my jam. I tried to play flat-pick guitar a la Doc and Tony for over 20 years before I realized I wasn't cut out for it. Now I play upright bass when playing bluegrass. For guitar, I went back to my roots of James Taylor, Paul Simon, Dylan... but I make money playing jazz in a combo. I simply croon the tunes and play rhythm guitar. (I learned the jazz chord inversions over time). Those years trying to play bluegrass guitar helps my rhythm on the swing tunes.
I bought an acoustic about a year ago in an attempt to emulate Doc and Tony. I’m already 47 so I doubt that ever happens but I enjoy it and that’s all that matters. And as far as the clip above I think that’s pretty dang close to bluegrass perfection. I believe Tony thought so too.

Your discussion reminded me of this album I bought years ago and hadn't listened to in a while. It's a much different technique but these guys are pretty good at that fingerpicking thing.

I bought an acoustic about a year ago in an attempt to emulate Doc and Tony. I’m already 47 so I doubt that ever happens but I enjoy it and that’s all that matters. And as far as the clip above I think that’s pretty dang close to bluegrass perfection. I believe Tony thought so too.
It simply doesn’t get more “bluegrassy” than that right there

Your discussion reminded me of this album I bought years ago and hadn't listened to in a while. It's a much different technique but these guys are pretty good at that fingerpicking thing.

Chet A. and Merle Travis were the fingerpicking Gods of the world back in the day. Doc himself took up that style (along with his own flat-picking style). Doc named his only son after Merle Travis. They still have a huge music festival named after Merle Watson -

Tommy Emmanuel studied and took after those 3 icons and has taken it to another level (if another level is even possible after Chet and Merle T).

I saw Tommy E at the last MerleFest.

Gotta disagree. I think this is the album, along with the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Will the Circle Be Unbroken that kept bluegrass alive and relevant. It also may be the best bluegrass album ever made.

My bluegrass band opened up for John Hartford back in the late 1970’s.
A little Honkytonk in Hickory, NC.

Also, I was speaking to the song 9 lb hammer being the most “bluegrassy” thing ever. Not necessarily Tony and his mate’s rendering of it.
Matter of fact, I believe 9 lb hammer is on the circle album.

My bluegrass band opened up for John Hartford back in the late 1970’s.
A little Honkytonk in Hickory, NC.

Also, I was speaking to the song 9 lb hammer being the most “bluegrassy” thing ever. Not necessarily Tony and his mate’s rendering of it.
Matter of fact, I believe 9 lb hammer is on the circle album.
Please never take me very seriously. I was born with my tongue in my cheek and six years of speech therapy never got it out. I'm old, retired and , thanks to the Farm Bill of 2018, more than a little stoned all the time.

I do love music and books almost as much as I like agitating, though.

And as for Doc, well. In the 5th grade they emptied my school out and we all sat on the grass as this guy played his most famous song (and some others I couldn't come close to remembering). Famous, at least for us kids growing up in NC. I think a teacher had some connection to him.

That's the band. Firmly in the Rockabilly mode.
That's my boy Duncan on lead guitar. He's a guitar tech at Gitarren Total in Zurich. Duncan and I used to busk the same street corners in Europe back in the 1980's. (He's older than he looks in the videos, hahahah!)
Speaking of Rockabilly...

My two favorites are Robert Gordon and George Bedard and the Kingpins.

I love Robert Gordon's cover of a Conway Twitty classic

Please never take me very seriously. I was born with my tongue in my cheek and six years of speech therapy never got it out. I'm old, retired and , thanks to the Farm Bill of 2018, more than a little stoned all the time.

I do love music and books almost as much as I like agitating, though.
Old, retired, and stoned, and listening to John Hartford Hey Babe Ya Wanna Boogie... Talk about living the dream...

Back