The Music Thread

Been on the covers thread. Got me thinking of some originals I prefer to the covers. I'm a sucker for songwriters so your results might not be the same as mine.

Yup - Peter Green with the original Fleetwood wrote this song and released it in London - Carlos and the boys covered it and took it to a new level at Woodstock

As a musician myself - this thread speaks to me a bit more than other threads. And obviously some great stuff on here and I'm in full agreement on most all of it. Some good taste in music we have here... and I've already weighed in on my tastes of Jazz, Classical, Beatles, Acoustic Rock from late 60's/early 70's, The Bossa Nova, etc.

However, this one song - and this particular recording of it - seems to resonate with me more than most anything else. And that includes Miles' "Kind of Blue" album - which, as a jazz musician is obviously at the top of my list.

I think Aretha's version of "RESPECT" recorded in 1967 is the best recording there ever was, or ever will be. An Otis Redding song written and recorded first by him in 1965. (BTW - another one of my faves from the era/genre "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" by the Temptations is up there as well). Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: Respect!
(Edited to add - sorry if this one has been posted already!)

Speaking of Miles' "Kind of Blue" (1959 - the year I was born) there is a great book out, written about the Making of Kind of Blue. A great read. Recommended.
The first track on that album "So What" (attached). Miles was known for saying that phrase a lot back in the late 1950's. No matter what was said, or mentioned, about anything, Miles would look up and simply say/ask: "So what"? And historically, knowing Miles like I do, I'm sure he meant it about as snarky as you can imagine, like: "So what? You ain't so cool yourself". Or: "So what? What are you really saying man?" I can imaging it going like this: "Hey Miles. Nice weather we're having today!" Miles: "So what?"

If you listen to the tune - you can literally hear the phrase "So what" during the "head". The tune is noted for it's seminal bass line - which literally plays the "head" or main melody - if one can call it that. The long, piano/bass duet intro is sublime.

Pay close attention and listen for the greatest cymbal crash in the history of recorded music at the 1'32" mark. Drummer Jimmy Cobb was interviewed about that and he admitted he thought he had messed up, and hit the cymbal too hard - and that they would have to go back a do a re-take. Nope. the cymbal crash stayed... and the rest is history.

So many ways to go with this. Some of my all-time favorites.
Darrell Scott...just so great at so many things.

One of the great 70s songs from George Benson that I loved popping up on the radio when I was in the back seat dreaming my life away.

Timeless...Laural Canyon feel and just sublime. Jonathan Wilson.

And if you liked that...you'll love this jammy little concert...best heard with good earphones.

The grooviest song the Police ever did...and this extended mix does that groove justice....

This whole album. Found Ella in college, would have given a body part to see her live.
- YouTube

The best writer...of the best pop song ever. Lloyd Cole and the Commotions. "With cheekbones like geometry and eyes like sin."
- YouTube

A U2 b side that is made for the late night dark that wears like a blanket.
- YouTube

Finesse....Lloyd is the MAN!!!

"You know it all
You've got all the answers
But if that's the case
What's with the long face
It's very easy to be brave
With your good foot in the grave
It's very easy to be cold
When there's no one in the world you want to know
It's very easy to be suave
When you're on your guard
Like you always are"

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds have a new one out. If you’ve followed his career of late you know he’s been prolific and profound through personal tragedy. The man is onto something and I’m here to preach it.

Won't you... meet me in the parking lot, up on level three, there's something I must show you, there's something you just gotta see...

Last edited:
Speaking of Miles' "Kind of Blue" (1959 - the year I was born) there is a great book out, written about the Making of Kind of Blue. A great read. Recommended.
The first track on that album "So What" (attached). Miles was known for saying that phrase a lot back in the late 1950's. No matter what was said, or mentioned, about anything, Miles would look up and simply say/ask: "So what"? And historically, knowing Miles like I do, I'm sure he meant it about as snarky as you can imagine, like: "So what? You ain't so cool yourself". Or: "So what? What are you really saying man?" I can imaging it going like this: "Hey Miles. Nice weather we're having today!" Miles: "So what?"

If you listen to the tune - you can literally hear the phrase "So what" during the "head". The tune is noted for it's seminal bass line - which literally plays the "head" or main melody - if one can call it that. The long, piano/bass duet intro is sublime.

Pay close attention and listen for the greatest cymbal crash in the history of recorded music at the 1'32" mark. Drummer Jimmy Cobb was interviewed about that and he admitted he thought he had messed up, and hit the cymbal too hard - and that they would have to go back a do a re-take. Nope. the cymbal crash stayed... and the rest is history.

greatest Jazz album ever...

The challenge is to argue for which album should be ranked #2

Back