The sad case of Imane Khelif

• Thread starter Thread starter grubar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 224
  • Views: 3K
Fact Check: Olympics boxing gender testing controversy explained

Fact Check: Olympics boxing gender testing controversy explained

Target of Vicious Online Slander After First-Round Win at Paris Olympics 2024, What Is Disgraced Boxer Imane Khelif’s Rare Genetic Condition Swyer Syndrome?

Target of Vicious Online Slander After First-Round Win at Paris Olympics 2024, What Is Disgraced Boxer Imane Khelif’s Rare Genetic Condition Swyer Syndrome?

Hidden testes (like one of our cats from about 20 years ago that the vet thought was a female) is a syndrome not equivalent as Swyer which don't have testes. They don't produce large amounts of testosterone.

What’s more, even though individuals with Swyer syndrome may develop a ******* and uterus, they do not have the corresponding sex glands, known as the ovaries. Therefore, the said person suffering from this rare disease is typically infertile and does not undergo puberty due to an improper secretion of sex hormones like estrogen and progesterone.

“… Khelif burst into tears after learning she will walk out of the Paris 2024 Olympics with at least a bronze medal following her latest 5-0 victory on Saturday against Hungary’s Luca Hamori in the women’s 66kg quarter-final—a win which will see her advance to the semi-finals.

… At a post-match press conference, Khelif told reporters “I have been boxing for years in the International Boxing Association which has committed an injustice toward me,” qualifying, “But I have Allah by my side.” …”

Ms Khelif and Ms Lin have both advanced to the gold medal match in their respective divisions. Both fight for the top step on Friday.

This is the part I didn't get - people are acting like she's Mike Tyson out there beating people up and putting up a 39-0 record.

Amateur can be a little bit different. She had most of those losses when she was younger. Roy Jones Jr had 13 losses as an amateur although one was a travesty. Mike Tyson had a 48-6 amateur record.

For anyone who's interested in the topic of DSD Olympians, NPR Embeded has a series called "Tested" about the history of questioned women in the Olympics. A recent comparable story is Christine Mboma.

The questioning of female Olympians goes back to the early/mid-1900's and ramped up when women were allowed to do track & field sports. Khelif isn't transgender, neither was Christine Mboma and the other women who came before her that are impacted by Differences in Sex Development (DSD)

Mboma's fastest 200m wasn't even as fast as the best high school boys time, but she was dominating the women and ended up being "investigated".

Christine Mboma 'did not lose hope' during enforced 20-month lay-off

_133171821_christinemboma1332203667.jpg.jpg

The 20-year-old has not raced competitively for 20 months after a change to the rules for athletes classed as having differences in sexual development (DSD).

The Namibian has been taking medication to lower her naturally-occurring testosterone levels and will return in the 100m at the Kip Keino Classic in Kenya on Saturday.

"It's not easy mentally - I'm not okay even now," Mboma told BBC Sport Africa.

"I am a strong person and any stuff that happened to me I tried to forget. But it's not easy.

"Training made me not lose hope, and then also it helped me with managing the stuff that I was going through."

DSD is a group of rare conditions, external whereby a person's hormones, genes and/or reproductive organs may be a mix of male and female characteristics. Some of those affected prefer the term "intersex".

World Athletics felt DSD athletes would have an unfair advantage in female races, and in 2018 the governing body put rules in place to require them to lower testosterone levels in order to compete in events ranging from 400m up to the mile.

Unable to run her favoured 400m, Mboma ran over 200m at the delayed Tokyo 2020 Olympics and became the first Namibian woman to win a medal at the Games.

She also became world under-20 champion over 200m in 2021.

Then, in 2023, World Athletics further revised its regulations, barring DSD athletes from competing in any track events unless they reduced their high testosterone levels.

DSD athletes are now required to reduce their blood testosterone level to below 2.5 nanomoles per litre (down from the previous figure of 5nmol/L), and remain under that threshold, in order to compete internationally in the female category in any track and field event.

That locked Mboma out of all competition until she complied with the new regulations - including what would have been her first senior World Championships in Budapest, Hungary, last August.

It left the Namibian track star's career in limbo and former rugby player turned athletics coach Henk Botha, who works with Mboma, was "shocked" by the rule changes.

"It was a difficult time for myself and Christine, just coping with whether she can run again," Botha told BBC Sport Africa.

"But I must give so much credit to her and how she handled it. She's strong [to] even have a smile on her face here and be excited to run."

This weekend in Nairobi Mboma will return to competition for the first time since winning bronze in the 200m at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.

"It has been a long time since I have run. I'm looking forward to run again," she said.

"I am happy to be back to the place I love, which is running."

I will bet anyone here a buffalo nickel that she names him in a lawsuit by the end of next week. Rightly so.

I think that's going to be a tough case. Genetically speak, she does have XY chromosomes, right?

Back