The Weather Thread | Severe Flooding at Carolina Beach, Tornado Warnings in Eastern NC

• Thread starter Thread starter TullyHeel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 190
  • Views: 3K
  • Off-Topic 
The forecast kept harping on the flood threat and the tornado threat wasn't supposed to be that big of a deal.

WRAL had the tornado threat as low and the flooding threat high. I don't think they saw this coming with the number of tornado warnings we have had.

New tornado watch out until 8 pm.

ORNADO WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WT 614
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1245 PM EDT THU AUG 8 2024

TORNADO WATCH 614 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 800 PM EDT FOR THE
FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

NCC013-015-029-031-041-049-053-055-061-063-065-069-073-077-079-
083-091-095-101-103-107-117-127-131-133-137-139-143-145-147-177-
181-183-185-187-191-195-090000-
/O.NEW.KWNS.TO.A.0614.240808T1645Z-240809T0000Z/

NC
. NORTH CAROLINA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

BEAUFORT BERTIE CAMDEN
CARTERET CHOWAN CRAVEN
CURRITUCK DARE DUPLIN
DURHAM EDGECOMBE FRANKLIN
GATES GRANVILLE GREENE
HALIFAX HERTFORD HYDE
JOHNSTON JONES LENOIR
MARTIN NASH NORTHAMPTON
ONSLOW PAMLICO PASQUOTANK
PERQUIMANS PERSON PITT
TYRRELL VANCE WAKE
WARREN WASHINGTON WAYNE
WILSON

Still pouring rain in Winston-Salem. Power blinked off for about 10-15 seconds earlier today but came back in and is still on for now....

We had a break in the rain for about an hour around noon in my Charlotte neighborhood, but it is pouring again now. Reporting stations near me show rainfall totals since midnight 4.89" at Chantilly School and 4.23" at CFD Station 14 in Cotswold. Briar Creek has to be rising quickly.

Decades ago, I wanted to experience a hurricane. In 1989, I got my wish. Twice. Same storm. The first time in the US Virgin Islands. The second time in Charlotte.

If you’re thinking you want to experience a hurricane, you don’t.

And, hurricanes are “somewhat” predictable (get your ass high enough so that you won’t drown AND down low in a strong building so flying debris won’t kill you; be prepared for days/weeks/months without potable water, running toilets, showers, electricity, A/C…..you’ll be fine.

Tornadoes are unpredictable as hell…..I remember a guy who worked for the FAA on St. Thomas when Hugo hit St. Croix…..he was an air traffic controller….he was in the FAA’s bunker at the St. Thomas Airport…..he described the tornadoes coming down as being like the video game MISSILE COMMAND.

Random as hell and you’re fucked if it’s headed at you.

Guess we still have to worry about tonight.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED TORNADO WATCH 615 UNTIL 7 AM EDT FRIDAY WHICH REPLACES A PORTION OF TORNADO WATCH 614. THE NEW WATCH IS VALID FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS

IN NORTH CAROLINA THE NEW WATCH INCLUDES 13 COUNTIES

IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA

DURHAM EDGECOMBE FRANKLIN
GRANVILLE HALIFAX JOHNSTON
NASH PERSON VANCE
WAKE WARREN WAYNE
WILSON

THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF APEX, CARY, CLAYTON, CREEDMOOR, DURHAM, ENFIELD, FRANKLINTON, GOLDSBORO, HENDERSON, KITTRELL, KNIGHTDALE, LOUISBURG, NASHVILLE, NORLINA, OXFORD, PRINCEVILLE, RALEIGH, ROANOKE RAPIDS, ROCKY MOUNT, ROUGEMONT, ROXBORO, SCOTLAND NECK, SELMA, SMITHFIELD, SPRING HOPE, TARBORO,
WAKE FOREST, WARRENTON, AND WILSON.

Back