Trump Criminal & Civil Cases & Assassination Attempt News | Sentencing Delayed to after election

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 112
  • Views: 3K
  • Politics 
Interestingly, the brief doesn't ask for the case to be reassigned. I don't know if that's a motion that would get filed after the decision is reversed; if the prosecutors are relying on the judges to raise it sua sponte (which is possible but a risky strategy), or if Jack Smith is planning on filing in a different court. I've seen speculation that he might refile the case in DC -- but I think he would have to get this dismissal appealed away first. Otherwise there could be double jeopardy problems, at least in SCOTUS' view.

Interestingly, the brief doesn't ask for the case to be reassigned. I don't know if that's a motion that would get filed after the decision is reversed; if the prosecutors are relying on the judges to raise it sua sponte (which is possible but a risky strategy), or if Jack Smith is planning on filing in a different court. I've seen speculation that he might refile the case in DC -- but I think he would have to get this dismissal appealed away first. Otherwise there could be double jeopardy problems, at least in SCOTUS' view.
If I had to hazard a guess, it would be that Smith doesn't want to muddy the appeal of his authority with a reassignment argument.

I suspect Justice will handle it by separate motion. That seems to be its M.O., and there are good reasons not to convolute the opening brief with a discussion of all the reasons to reassign.

The DC Jan 6 case reportedly resumes on Friday, Sept 5. Need to get the Georgina one going again as well though that is not Smith. I actually think the GA case is the one easiest to prove and most clearly understood by the public (a clear case of trying to subvert an election and trying to commit election fraud and encourage a state offical to do so,)
Can't have a future President (and one a bit more competent at deception) doing that. The country will fall apart if Presidents are allowed to engage in such activitites without repercussions.
This whole S***tshow could have been avoided if a few more Repub Senators had voted to impeach and Pence could even have pardoned him

I suspect Justice will handle it by separate motion. That seems to be its M.O., and there are good reasons not to convolute the opening brief with a discussion of all the reasons to reassign.
Can you motion the appeals court directly? This is serious rules shit I don't know, but I fear they would have to get a reversal, then ask for a recusal, and then take that to the appeals court. And while the time urgency for the election is passed, it would be nice to get to trial in 2025

In related news on the fake electors and election fraud scheme, an Arizona judge has set a date of Jan, 2026 for that trial to begin. It is a trial charging Trump's allies and cronies for their participation in AZ election.

That is still almost a year and a half away (exactly 5 years after the anti-democracy crimes occurred.) If that is not bad enough, it is the ONLY election interference case with an actual court date scheduled.

I blame Farce, because that is exactly what all of this is.

“… In the lead-up to the July 13 shooting, the gunman, Thomas Matthew Crooks, made more than 60 online searches related to the former president and Biden, along with the timing of the Democratic and Republican National Conventions, said Kevin Rojek, the head of the FBI’s Pittsburgh field office.

The gunman’s online searches indicated that he identified his firing perch in advance of the July 13 rally. Five days after searching for the words “AGR International,” Crooks climbed to the rooftop of the company’s complex just outside the Butler Farm Show grounds and fired eight shots, sending a bullet into Trump’s ear and killing a spectator in the crowd.

After the shooting, law enforcement found two homemade bombs in Crooks’s car. As early as September 2019, Crooks made multiple online searches related to improvised explosives, looking up “detonating cord,” “blasting cap” and “how to make a bomb from fertilizer,” Rojek said. FBI officials previously said Crooks made numerous purchases of gun-related items and bomb-making material beginning in spring 2023. …”

The only thing of substance that could realistically happen between now and November is the sentencing in the NY criminal case. And my guess is even that will be pushed off. Not that Biden or Kamala have any control over it, but given how Trump probably benefitted among his supporters from being found guilty of dozens of felonies, I doubt Kamala really wants this to become a big story at this point.

4 years! Four years later almost and basically very little to show for it. Hard to have much faith in our judicial system at this point. From the SCOTUS to Garland to this lady in Florida to the 5th judicial circuit and everything in between. Just astoundingly incompetent

Back