Ukraine War | Ukraine launches ground attack in Russia

• Thread starter Thread starter Batt Boy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 172
  • Views: 4K
  • Politics 
You’re over estimating Russian military skills and capabilities. Russia has one skill. Mass a troop advantage of say 7:1, pound defensive lines with artillery and send in frontal assaults. They aren’t able to maneuver or react to anything Ukraine does.

I exaggerated Ukrainian air superiority, but the fact they are able to operate in the Kursk area is a stunning achievement (/failure by Russia)

I’d say this war is still largely a stalemate, Russian size vs Ukraine competency & western arms.

Western arms can be supplied for years (not saying it will). Russian size will collapse on itself at some point.
You are right. One of the reasons Russia took such high casualties in WW2 was using the exact tactic you described. Speaking of Kursk, the largest tank battle ever fought occurred there between the Russians and Germans. The Russians took more casualties, but they still won the battle. In part because they could afford to take the casualties better than the Germans.

I'm not overestimating the Russians. They are dreadful at logistics, command and control and combined arms coordination. Bad moral, worse leadership and they aren't defending their homes. Still they are on the move across the Donbas through sheer mass and they are learning how to use their stand off strikes better. They have the will to continue to sacrifice to bleed the UA.

Forgive my ignorance, but why is it bad for Russia? What is his connection to them?

She is saying its bad for Russia as Telegram is a popular medium for their propaganda. I'm not sure that is true for while the Russian government likes Telegram, they aren't huge fans of Durov. Durov refused to provide user data to Russian intelligence and Telegram was banned for years in Russia before being reinstated.

She is saying its bad for Russia as Telegram is a popular medium for their propaganda. I'm not sure that is true for while the Russian government likes Telegram, they aren't huge fans of Durov. Durov refused to provide user data to Russian intelligence and Telegram was banned for years in Russia before being reinstated.
Thanks.

She is saying it’s bad for Russia as Telegram is a popular medium for their propaganda. I'm not sure that is true for while the Russian government likes Telegram, they aren't huge fans of Durov. Durov refused to provide user data to Russian intelligence and Telegram was banned for years in Russia before being reinstated.
When Russia realized banning telegram wasn’t working their foreign intelligence services adopted it, and there are reports that much of the Russian intelligence communications in Europe including coordination of recent sabotage/arson has run through that app.

Russian response to Ukrainian push in to Russia is predictable. A massive strike on civilian targets.

One of these hit a hotel in Kyiv killing a Reuters reporter.

One of these hit a dam around Kyiv. If that dam were to fail, the resulting flood would wipe out Kyiv, likely killing hundreds of thousands of civilians. No telling what would happen in that event.

Russian attacks like this are increasing calls for the US to remove restrictions on using US weapons against Russian military targets in Russia.

Somebody ask Mundial if they have any Intel going forward on the Belarusian “exercises” or if Russia is planning another hit on that dam.

Russian attacks like this are increasing calls for the US to remove restrictions on using US weapons against Russian military targets in Russia.
Agreed. That’s my vote also.

I don’t think Biden wants to make any escalations before the election though.

An F-16 fighter jet used by Ukraine crashed on Monday, Kyiv's military said, the first such loss reported since the long-awaited arrival of the U.S.-made planes in the country was confirmed this month.
The jet came down and its pilot died while it was approaching a target during a Russian airstrike, the Ukrainian General Staff said on Thursday in a statement on Facebook.
The F-16s had "demonstrated high efficiency" and downed four Russian cruise missiles, it added. "Connection with one of the aircraft was lost while it was approaching the next target. As it turned out later, the plane crashed, the pilot died," the statement added.

Ukraine has not given detail on the size of its new fleet, though the loss is likely to have left a significant dent. The Times of London has cited a source familiar with the matter as saying Ukraine had six of the jets.
President Volodymyr Zelenskiy confirmed on Aug. 4 his pilots had started flying F-16s, hailing the moment as a major milestone in the fight against the invasion Russia launched 29 months ago.

He said on Tuesday F-16s were used to repel a major Russian attack a day earlier of more than 200 missiles and drones, which targeted the energy sector.
Monday's crash did not appear to be the result of Russian fire, and possible causes from pilot error to mechanical failure were still being investigated, a U.S. defense official told Reuters.
Military analysts have said the arrival of the small number of planes, while significant, is unlikely to be a turning point in the conflict.

if the White Rus enter the war, Ukraine should be able to add Poland to their side.

Russians suggest the F-16 was actually a friendly fire shoot down

According to my information, the F-16 of the Ukrainian pilot Oleksiy "Moonfish" Mes was shot down by the Patriot anti-aircraft missile system due to a lack of coordination between the units. In the reports, it was noted that he "failed to manage." The event happened during one of the most powerful Russian air attacks on August 26. War is war, such episodes are possible. But the culture of lies in the Air Force Command of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, as well as in other higher military headquarters, leads to the fact that the system of managing military decisions does not improve on the basis of truthful, consistently collected analytics, but deteriorates and even collapses, as is happening in the Pokrovsky direction. And none of the generals was punished. General Oleschuk remains in office.

Photo: Oleksiy "Moonfish" Mes (right) together with Andrii "Juice" Pilshikov, who died earlier (the investigation into his death also did not clarify anything and no one was punished).

Back