UNC Football Catch-All Thread | Week 4 - James Madison @ UNC (Noon ACCN)

• Thread starter Thread starter Croatoan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 665
  • Views: 8K
  • UNC Sports 
If we can be decent at QB we can actually have a pretty good season - we have a pretty decent schedule - 5 of our next 6 games are at home and the lone road game is at dook

This program is a joke. I don’t even care anymore
Nice win last night, but I've been hearing some iteration of the above (and oftentimes the exact phrase itself) for the past 40 years. I suspect that's true of most CFB programs...

A win is better than a loss. Looks like they don't have to worry about scoring 40 points a game to get wins now. Good thing Carolina's kicker was better than their's.

A win is better than a loss. Looks like they don't have to worry about scoring 40 points a game to get wins now. Good thing Carolina's kicker was better than their's.
I’m far from sold on the defense to be honest. Last season they looked good against SCar and Minnesota to start the year, and as the season wore on it became clear that those two teams were actually just really bad and our defense was still the sieve it had been all along. There were an alarming number of pathetic missed tackled last night.

I’m far from sold on the defense to be honest. Last season they looked good against SCar and Minnesota to start the year, and as the season wore on it became clear that those two teams were actually just really bad and our defense was still the sieve it had been all along. There were an alarming number of pathetic missed tackled last night.
Oh, I agree. Just saying they don't have to worry about scoring that much this season because there's no way they are going to do it.

The only one that really bothered me was Stick Lane just turning into a human missile instead of wrapping up, allowing the receiver to scamper down the sideline. But their players are on scholarship as well and are going to force some missed tackles.

I was more annoyed with our receivers not catching the ball. JJ Jones had one hit him in the chest, and Nesbitt didn't make a good effort on the one that was intercepted in the first half.

The only one that really bothered me was Stick Lane just turning into a human missile instead of wrapping up, allowing the receiver to scamper down the sideline. But their players are on scholarship as well and are going to force some missed tackles.

I was more annoyed with our receivers not catching the ball. JJ Jones had one hit him in the chest, and Nesbitt didn't make a good effort on the one that was intercepted in the first half.
Oh, I agree. Just saying they don't have to worry about scoring that much this season because there's no way they are going to do it.
Ah I see what you mean haha.

Idk man, I saw way too many plays where our defenders had a Minnesota player cornered and dead in the water, and then just completely overran them with a weak arm tackle. To me it looked more like poor tackling technique rather than the Minnesota players making them miss.

If we can be decent at QB we can actually have a pretty good season - we have a pretty decent schedule - 5 of our next 6 games are at home and the lone road game is at dook
doesn't matter who the QB is if the WRs can separate. They are weak. The int hit the WR in the face. The schedule is so weak, we should win 7 games on OH alone.

My takeaway from watching after I finished class at 10pm...we are marginally better on defense (maybe moderately better, but at least marginally) and horrifically worse on offense. Overall, we are a lot worse football team than we have been for a few years now. The schedule will cover that up some, but we are not very good right now.

The good news is that it is going to be a month and a half before we face a team with a good offense, so we won’t have to worry about getting into a shootout with anybody. Duke and Pittsburgh are supposed to be pretty bad on offense themselves, so the first true good offensive team we may play is Georgia Tech – and we may be 6-0 when we do.

I am not really all that encouraged by what I saw last night, but also I remember that it was game one, with a brand new quarterback, on the road, against a similarly average P4 opponent. We can and will look better this season. I still look for us to go 8-4/9-3 based on the schedule. Quite literally every single team on our schedule looks to have its own vulnerabilities and flaws- including and especially Florida State and NC State.

They said Minnesota's longest pass play last season was 39 yards. Incredible

Not sure there is much to takeaway from last night. Aside from several drops and missed tackles they did what they're supposed to

The good news is that it is going to be a month and a half before we face a team with a good offense, so we won’t have to worry about getting into a shootout with anybody. Duke and Pittsburgh are supposed to be pretty bad on offense themselves, so the first true good offensive team we may play is Georgia Tech – and we may be 6-0 when we do.

I am not really all that encouraged by what I saw last night, but also I remember that it was game one, with a brand new quarterback, on the road, against a similarly average P4 opponent. We can and will look better this season. I still look for us to go 8-4/9-3 based on the schedule. Quite literally every single team on our schedule looks to have its own vulnerabilities and flaws- including and especially Florida State and NC State.
You really think we can win 8 or 9 games with a 1 dimensional offense ? Maybe Harrell gets better but coaches had zero interest or confidence in throwing the football last night. And even playing bad teams you’ve got to be able to pass at some point…

You really think we can win 8 or 9 games with a 1 dimensional offense ? Maybe Harrell gets better but coaches had zero interest or confidence in throwing the football last night. And even playing bad teams you’ve got to be able to pass at some point…
Totally valid points, for sure. I just think we have such a weak schedule that even with a one dimensional offense and a slightly improved defense, we should still be able to stack wins if we get even average quarterback play. Doesn’t even have to be good quarterback play. Just can’t be bad quarterback play. Even with how we looked last night, I’ve got to think we can win more than our fair share of games against the likes of Duke, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Wake Forest, and Boston College. The Georgia Tech, Florida State, and NC State games will all be much tougher, of course.

Yes.
Near certain wins gets you to 4 (Charlotte, NCCU, James Madison). I still feel pretty good against Wake and Duke (6). I think UNC can win 2 of the games that are toss-ups (BC, GT, UVA, Pitt). Likely losses against FSU and State.

Back