UNC Football Catch-All Thread | Week 4 - James Madison @ UNC (Noon ACCN)

• Thread starter Thread starter Croatoan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 665
  • Views: 8K
  • UNC Sports 
It was a good win, type of game UNC usually loses. Everyone should enjoy it for the weekend while watching other games despite how ugly it was. This team can win 7 or 8 games and that would be a good season with this offense. With that said..

The good:
- It appears the run defense will be above average. I was impressed with the defensive line. Ritzie looked great but who stood out to me was Josh Harris. Minnesota’s interior offensive line could not move him.
-Special teams play was A+. The block in the back was super close so that doesn’t bother me. Huzzie made one bad decision on a knuckle ball but otherwise looked great on his returns. Noah was perfect and Maginnes looked improved from last season.
-Jakeen Harris is a sure tackler and high iq safety that sured some things up in back end of secondary.
-Hampton rushing over 100+ yards even with Minnesota knowing he was the only option.
The bad:
-Don’t have an outside wr that can take the top off the defense. Minnesota’s corner on Jones was sitting on those deep outs and passes to the sideline. Didn’t respect him beating him deep.
-Pass protection is concerning to say the least. Would’ve liked to seen some more jet sweeps and quick wr screens to take some of pressure off the line.
-Secondary got bailed out by a few misses by Minnesota qb. Costly missed tackles by Tyrane Stewart, Cost, and Lane had a couple he should’ve made. Allen had a tough game as he was in good position on the PI’s just panicked.
-QB play.
I feel like the WRs are a little better than what we saw last night. A few bad drops for sure, but the Minn corners weren’t respecting the deep ball because they knew that Johnson and then Harrell weren’t good enough to throw those type of passes. Seemed like every throw that went more than 10 yards in the air was badly underthrown or mistimed.

It is a bit unfair to say Lindsey's system will remain so vanilla. There was no sync in our passing game. Max looked awful, receivers gave him little help aside from 2 nice catches. The O line pass protect was awful.

As great as Hampton is, and he still looked really good, he's not going to have a big game against a D like Minn. when they can stack the box with no fear of our passing threat.

Also, without Sam or Drake, our D has no chance if they are out there 60-65% of the game because Sam and Drake could strike and score so quick. Mack even said it, we can't have our D on the field so long. No you can't when you don't have one of the most potent offenses in the nation anymore. See how much better they played in second half when not gassed? Pretty great in first half as well. We still have issues in secondary. Allen got burned repeatedly and kept just running at and into receivers when beat. Long clock burning drives is the ticket. Just need more TD's than FG's.

Last edited:
I feel like the WRs are a little better than what we saw last night. A few bad drops for sure, but the Minn corners weren’t respecting the deep ball because they knew that Johnson and then Harrell weren’t good enough to throw those type of passes. Seemed like every throw that went more than 10 yards in the air was badly underthrown or mistimed.
Yeah I agree with that. Still think they’re missing an outside receiver that is physical and fast enough to rely on. The older guys like McCollum and Paysour seem better in the slot and the younger wr’s with speed like Taylor and Shipp need more experience and to get stronger.

Jeez almighty. The femur is the strongest bone in the human body. Takes a hell of a lot to break it. Poor guy- really pulling hard for him in his recovery.

The only one that really bothered me was Stick Lane just turning into a human missile instead of wrapping up, allowing the receiver to scamper down the sideline. But their players are on scholarship as well and are going to force some missed tackles.

I was more annoyed with our receivers not catching the ball. JJ Jones had one hit him in the chest, and Nesbitt didn't make a good effort on the one that was intercepted in the first half.
Stick has a different style and does some amazing things considering his size. But that was the single worst, and laziest specific player attempt I have seen in many years.

The guy in man cover almost had him wrapped up, but stick just turned his body away, and as you say, missiled himself in a complete whiff. He helps wrap up and push him out of bounds (very easy) 99.999% chance he is stopped right there.

And wasn't that 3rd down on final drive, which would have brought up fourth and long on their side of field.

I'd make him watch that effort every day in front of team for a month.

Last edited:
Hate it so much for him. These guys work their tails off for much of their young lives to be able to play the game at this level, and it’s always so awful to see it get taken away from them. Hopefully he can recover quickly and get back onto the field if he wants to do so.

I think for our offense moving forward, between having Harrell and Criswell, we are going to need to design game plans and schemes around taking advantage of those guys’ ability to hurt defenses in the running game. Having to account for both Hampton and a running quarterback will make it harder for them to defend either one, hopefully. And hopefully the staff will let these guys open up their arsenal and throw the ball down field. That’s the only way we’re going to keep defenses honest.

So, should I lock one week’s game thread and start another for a new week, or just use the same thread as the game thread throughout the season?

So, should I lock one week’s game thread and start another for a new week, or just use the same thread as the game thread throughout the season?
Keep the same thread throughout the year and let it be for every game.

Think how much fun it'll be to be able to go back and look over the thread to see how the mood changes with each game.

Keep the same thread throughout the year and let it be for every game.

Think how much fun it'll be to be able to go back and look over the thread to see how the mood changes with each game.
Eh. Believe we will remember mood swings. And the search engine here actually works.

Back