UNC Football Catch-All Thread | Week 4 - James Madison @ UNC (Noon ACCN)

• Thread starter Thread starter Croatoan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 665
  • Views: 8K
  • UNC Sports 
Completely disagree about IC. Staples and Vip specifically have been very honest and hardly pumping sunshine over the last few years.
Greg Barnes too. But the podcast stuff with the Tommy Ashley and Joey Powell types are insufferable. Bucks fine I gues

Spot on. The other things that stands out the past 5 seasons with UGA, is the dominance of their OL. Shockingly, they did give up 1 sack. They only gave up 4 all season last year and have had the least sacked QB since 2018. Text book pocket. D's just don't get to their QB. Imagine if Drake or Sam had been able to throw from that protection.
Our OL has definitely been poorly coached/developed and that’s been one of our biggest weaknesses the last few years.

I do give us slightly more of a pass for that though because from a recruiting standpoint it seems like the demand far outpaces the supply of quality offensive linemen. Building a defense that doesn’t constantly whiff tackles should be a lot easier of a fix compared to building a top tier O-line.

Alright, need some guidance here. We have e season tickets to both Carolina and Michigan. We were of course in the Big House this weekend because there was no conflict. Next weekend is a different story. Normally this wouldn't feel like a choice...we were just at Michigan.

BUT...

They are playing Texas on Saturday and the Lions are home against the Rams on Sunday night so we would also go to that. I can't even remember the last time I intentionally missed a game in Kenan, but I'm struggling with this one...

Fortunate it happened in Minneapolis. Don’t want to be dealing with complicated leg injuries in backwater towns like Blacksburg or Clemson.
Who pays for injuries sustained on the field? The university or would it fall to his own health insurance? I imagine the treatment and subsequent transport are going to be very pricey.

Who pays for injuries sustained on the field? The university or would it fall to his own health insurance? I imagine the treatment and subsequent transport are going to be very pricey.
I had always understood that the school pays for treatment -- at least while the player is on the team. That said, I am actually not sure the answer to the question. I would assume that all of the athletes have medical insurance, either through their family or through the school, but I don't know the answer to that either.

Hey @CFordUNC, do you know how medical injuries in other states are handled financially?

I imagine this will all get addressed in the collective bargaining agreement that is inevitably coming to CFB in the next 5-10 years.

Alright, need some guidance here. We have e season tickets to both Carolina and Michigan. We were of course in the Big House this weekend because there was no conflict. Next weekend is a different story. Normally this wouldn't feel like a choice...we were just at Michigan.

BUT...

They are playing Texas on Saturday and the Lions are home against the Rams on Sunday night so we would also go to that. I can't even remember the last time I intentionally missed a game in Kenan, but I'm struggling with this one...
Have you seen Texas before? They're a fun team to see in person.

BUT...

If you have the means, and by all accounts you do, to where money isn’t a significant obstacle and it’s just a time/distance/effort consideration, I would go to Michigan/Texas for sure. That will be a really neat game to be at.

If you have the means, and by all accounts you do, to where money isn’t a significant obstacle and it’s just a time/distance/effort consideration, I would go to Michigan/Texas for sure. That will be a really neat game to be at.
Same

BUT...

All things equal with travel considerations, etc. I wouldn’t even hesitate picking Michigan/Texas. That will be an incredible atmosphere.

BUT...

Shoot, man, this ain’t even a question! Go to the UT-Michigan game and totally forget that UNC is even playing Charlotte until you happen to remember to check the score on about Monday or so.

I had always understood that the school pays for treatment -- at least while the player is on the team. That said, I am actually not sure the answer to the question. I would assume that all of the athletes have medical insurance, either through their family or through the school, but I don't know the answer to that either.

Hey @CFordUNC, do you know how medical injuries in other states are handled financially?

I imagine this will all get addressed in the collective bargaining agreement that is inevitably coming to CFB in the next 5-10 years.
I know that athletes are fully covered by the school for any treatment and rehabilitation of any injury sustained on the practice field, during a game (home or away, regardless of location), anywhere within the team facility, or as part of any official team-sanctioned activities.

Luckily the costs aren't that much. Delta isn't that expensive direct from RDU to DTW. It's a 90 minute flight. We stay with Drew's family and have a car to drive while there because his parents hardly ever go anywhere.

Yeah, he seems like a nice enough guy, but his role is to always write fluff pieces to make our teams look good. Not really my favorite type of team coverage personally, but there’s a place for it I guess.

Completely disagree about IC. Staples and Vip specifically have been very honest and hardly pumping sunshine over the last few years.
a) Adam is great for his one-of-a-kind access into locker rooms - usually for men's basketball but occasionally for everything else. He's a paid sunshine pumper but that access and intimacy allows his writing to have narratives and context that's pretty unmatched, and he's a good enough writer to make it pay off. I don't read him to be better informed as a fan, I read him to either be ready to run through a brick wall or shed several tears as part of my UNC fandom.

b) Staples and Vipp's problem is that they're way too easily suckered by Mack and others around the program. By the end of the season last year, Vipp was openly saying that UNC was entering every game at a coaching disadvantage on the sidelines - as close as he could get to just calling for Mack to be fired. Now, it's a new year and he's back to defending their decisions and taking their word and actions at the QB position as gospel. Same with Staples, who's straight up embarrassing himself at this point on the boards doubling down on his take that Max Johnson's play Thursday night was that of an average-to-above average NCAA quarterback, because saying otherwise would be saying that the coaching staff made a mistake locking in on him as early as they did. He also bought into the absolutely nonsense conspiracy theory that Longo wasn't giving Chizik the looks he needed in practice and that Chiz would have a much better defense in '23, until he got shut up by Greg.

Back