UNC Football Catch-All Thread | Week 4 - James Madison @ UNC (Noon ACCN)

• Thread starter Thread starter Croatoan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 665
  • Views: 8K
  • UNC Sports 
Hmm, so single thread getting some votes. I’m fine updating the title and keeping one thread … worst case, we could change to a new thread each week if the one-thread approach gets unwieldy.

My main hesitation about the monolith thread approach is that if new people try to join the game thread after a few weeks, they will have to wade through dozens of pages of old game interactions to get to the current game and give up.

Maybe I could put a bread crumb how far ahead to jump for the current game to avoid that. (????)

So if we stay with the one thread idea (which I like), I guess my lack of faith and incorrect prediction for the minnesota game may not have been the ideal OP. Glad I was proven wrong.

Charlotte is up next and I’ve heard they’re going to be missing 8-9 starters for Saturday’s game. Heels win 38-7. Who’s going to the game?

I like a lot of what I saw Thursday. Minnesota does have a good offensive line and our dline held its own. We started 4 new olinemen against a good defense front and not one penalty. Were they great? No. But they will get better. Special teams were superb. Won a 50-50 game on the road. I am worried about the receivers. Not a lot of separation and some drops. Obviously QB is a concern. But we got three weeks to find some rhythm and confidence on offense. Teams either get better or worse but don't stay same. Hopefully this team will trend upward.

Last edited:
Really don't understand why we don't have a couple speed athletes, like Concepcion, that get employed regularly in the offense.

Really don't understand why we don't have a couple speed athletes, like Concepcion, that get employed regularly in the offense.
I’m not sure any team in the country has “a couple” guys like Concepcion. Pains me to say it but the dude is a freak.

Adam is such a positive-thinker, God love him.

I generally like his columns and the couple of times I've met/spoken with him, he's been great, but Upton Sinclair's quote, slightly edited, seems appropriate here...

“It is difficult to get a man to be negative about something, when his salary depends on his not being negative about it.”

I generally like his columns and the couple of times I've met/spoken with him, he's been great, but Upton Sinclair's quote, slightly edited, seems appropriate here...

“It is difficult to get a man to be negative about something, when his salary depends on his not being negative about it.”
He's paid to be a homer and IC is really no different. Its far from the "independent" voice of UNC

Yes, Adam is great at what he does, be the positive mouthpiece of the athletic department.

Yeah, he seems like a nice enough guy, but his role is to always write fluff pieces to make our teams look good. Not really my favorite type of team coverage personally, but there’s a place for it I guess.

I think UNC will win at least 6 games, 9 tops. But they won't go to the playoffs, and that's all that really matters in this age of college football.

I watched most of the UGA/Clemson game and then most of the ND/aTm game yesterday. One thing that really stood out to me is how well those defenses tackled (especially Georgia). When they had an offensive player in open space, they closed the gap, wrapped up and finished the tackle almost every time. Our D was very solid on Thursday night, but there were so many times where we had an RB/WR covered and our defenders just took bad angles and ran right by them like matadors.

A little Fred Sanford effect at the end - pretty sure he thought everyone was in on the joke at that point. The flag had already been thrown and his linemen was miming CPR. He was just having a good time with it. And I think the original stumble was legitimate.

I watched most of the UGA/Clemson game and then most of the ND/aTm game yesterday. One thing that really stood out to me is how well those defenses tackled (especially Georgia). When they had an offensive player in open space, they closed the gap, wrapped up and finished the tackle almost every time. Our D was very solid on Thursday night, but there were so many times where we had an RB/WR covered and our defenders just took bad angles and ran right by them like matadors.
Spot on. The other things that stands out the past 5 seasons with UGA, is the dominance of their OL. Shockingly, they did give up 1 sack. They only gave up 4 all season last year and have had the least sacked QB since 2018. Text book pocket. D's just don't get to their QB. Imagine if Drake or Sam had been able to throw from that protection.

Yeah, he seems like a nice enough guy, but his role is to always write fluff pieces to make our teams look good. Not really my favorite type of team coverage personally, but there’s a place for it I guess.
That’s one of the reasons I never like to listen to the UNC broadcast team when I watch games. I’m just not a fan of homerism in my sports coverage, even if it’s favorable to my team.

Back