What's the history behind the Zigga Zoomba Lounge?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rock
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 314
  • Views: 5K
  • Off-Topic 
Wasn’t floheel the guy who was upset when a group of black people (who were rowdier than he thought was acceptable) sat next to his family in an Applebee’s and was concerned because he had left his gun in his vehicle?
yes. He also admitted to committing disability fraud then erased his post but not before some astute posters got screenshots of the post. He then threatened to sue anyone who mentioned it including the site owners. That's why he is and will always be referred to as Applebees McDisability Fraud

I'm guessing floheel was the one who melted down in public to you
I believe it was a liberal poster actually, one of the more hastily acerbic ones. I blocked the name out somehow.

The crux of his anger was his belief I wasn't do anything but paying lip service, when in reality I was frequent up till 2-3 in the morning dealing with the fallout of ZZL fights.

It was probably the second angriest I had been in terms of moderating besides the time I literally stayed up all night dealign with the west coast scout.com global admins trying to get a bunch of packpride posters and their aliases banned, as well as information scrubbed after a frequently banned, but popular IC poster had been completely doxed by NC State posters. He came to me in a panic sending me a ton of scared emails, despite being banned at IC for his behavior, about how it could ruin his life job etc. After I got all that cleared up, he was given another IC chance and near immediately turned on me and caused trouble at IC again as if I didn't bend over backwards to help him in his hour of need. I was livid.

Last edited:
I also remember a time when the zzl had a fairly heavy dose of somewhat lurid threads focused on bathing suit models and scantily clad women, many of which really pushed the boundaries. I don’t remember if the mods just decided to start enforcing the policies, or whether it was one of the many site transfers to a new platform that caused it, but the enforcement led to a great many of the regular posters heading over and creating the heel talk site.

I also remember that there were a number of MEME threads that were absolutely hilarious, back when memes were just starting to take off on the internet. There were more than one because the threads on the old platform were capped at 500 pages, so a thread would get maxed out, and a follow up would have to be started.

I believe things have been getting uglier as of lately too, especially since the debate (just look at the troll grave dancing going right now over the closure of the forum).
No doubt - I thought the flood of (mostly) trolls since the first debate was the straw that broke the camel's back for the mods. Some of the new (or returning) posters seemed to want a serious conversation, but a lot of them were clearly trolls who mainly showed up to talk trash and taunt people, like after beating your rival in a big game.

And I'm still reading and doing some posting over on the old ZZLP, and you're right in that it's mostly the Wild West right now. And what most of the (frankly) Trumper posters are posting is very revealing - just a lot of bitterness, anger, and resentment being directed at how liberal the ZZLP was, how "unwelcoming" it was to Trumpers, along with lots of verbal bile at all the liberals who dominated board discussions, and finally as you said, real glee over the board being shut down. What gets me is that no one was keeping these people from posting there, and no one was forcing them to visit the board and read the posts there, but clearly a good many people were reading the board on a pretty regular basis without posting, and getting steamed over what they read.

I also remember one of the longest continuous threads being the “what we need is a good old fashioned Fing thread”. It was so random, but so funny.

I gotta ask-have asked before and never got an answer Anyone remember this...........????????????????
Doherty was Coach, his first year. It was either Christmas Eve or new Years Eve.. Someone literally hacked IC Basketball free site and posted a fake article with quotes from Doherty coming out of the closet I got a frantic call from FIL-he thought it was real

No doubt - I thought the flood of (mostly) trolls since the first debate was the straw that broke the camel's back for the mods. Some of the new (or returning) posters seemed to want a serious conversation, but a lot of them were clearly trolls who mainly showed up to talk trash and taunt people, like after beating your rival in a big game.

And I'm still reading and doing some posting over on the old ZZLP, and you're right in that it's mostly the Wild West right now. And what most of the (frankly) Trumper posters are posting is very revealing - just a lot of bitterness, anger, and resentment being directed at how liberal the ZZLP was, how "unwelcoming" it was to Trumpers, along with lots of verbal bile at all the liberals who dominated board discussions, and finally as you said, real glee over the board being shut down. What gets me is that no one was keeping these people from posting there, and no one was forcing them to visit the board and read the posts there, but clearly a good many people were reading the board on a pretty regular basis without posting, and getting steamed over what they read.
What a perfect Trumpian metaphor. Show up, break everything, and rule over the smoldering ashes ever so briefly before the lights go out permanently.

I also remember a time when the zzl had a fairly heavy dose of somewhat lurid threads focused on bathing suit models and scantily clad women, many of which really pushed the boundaries. I don’t remember if the mods just decided to start enforcing the policies, or whether it was one of the many site transfers to a new platform that caused it, but the enforcement led to a great many of the regular posters heading over and creating the heel talk site.

I also remember that there were a number of MEME threads that were absolutely hilarious, back when memes were just starting to take off on the internet. There were more than one because the threads on the old platform were capped at 500 pages, so a thread would get maxed out, and a follow up would have to be started.
It was hard to be the part of the public face of a business while also allowing the so-called babe threads and when we finally decided to shut down the misogynistic practice, many were not happy. (and this was something I believe the ZZL mods decided on our own, I don't recall it being handed down to us like an order. Through the curse of hind sight, I will admit we let it go on for far too long and I was wrong for not taking action sooner and I regret it.)

I gotta ask-have asked before and never got an answer Anyone remember this...........????????????????
Doherty was Coach, his first year. It was either Christmas Eve or new Years Eve.. Someone literally hacked IC Basketball free site and posted a fake article with quotes from Doherty coming out of the closet I got a frantic call from FIL-he thought it was real
I was posting at that time (I started in June of 2000 I believe,) but don't recall that happening. I wasn't a moderator then so it may have just been at a point where I wasn't paying attention all the time and missed it.

It was hard to be the part of the public face of a business while also allowing the so-called babe threads and when we finally decided to shut down the misogynistic practice, many were not happy. (and this was something I believe the ZZL mods decided on our own, I don't recall it being handed down to us like an order. Through the curse of hind sight, I will admit we let it go on for far too long and I was wrong for not taking action sooner and I regret it.)
Yeah, a return of the “babe threads, now with full nudity” was one of the touted features of Heel Talk when that group broke away to start their own board and was recruiting ZZLers. I forget what the issue was that sparked that outrage and exodus. It was after a the exodus to the BoB, which I believe might still be hanging on with a few regulars.

Yeah, a return of the “babe threads, now with full nudity” was one of the touted features of Heel Talk when that group broke away to start their own board and was recruiting ZZLers. I forget what the issue was that sparked that outrage and exodus. It was after a the exodus to the BoB, which I believe might still be hanging on with a few regulars.
HT started with the fox acquisition and that shitty board software.

the BOB happened bc of the babe thread, IIRC. Also, the BOB is still around but, yeah, it's sparse especially after the board MAGA crowd all decided to stop posting and Dan was banned. But it's been awhile since I was on they may have returned but I don't think so. @UNCRushFan still posts there so maybe he would know.

Message boards are such weird places. They now have a substantial enough history for volumes of books on their cultural, historical, and “Florida man” headline generation.

I was a fairly early adopter of TexAgs, where the football board became a clearinghouse, before the site got so big it could support 15+ boards. In those early days, the football board was the first place to publicly disclose the OU car dealership pay for play scheme (think Rhett Bomar). A poster’s gf worked ant yhe dealership and noticed paychecks going out to football players. The poster came to TexAgs to ask if it was “legal”. TexAgs, iirc, was also the first place to reveal the existence of a secret high $ donor newsletter by Dennis Frnachione, which became a pretext for his firing.

lots of “Florida man” story type origins, too, like a psychopath that convinced a group of posters to come to his house, get drunk, and knock down a shared fence - pretty sure lawsuits ensued.

Ha, that was ME that started all that mess with the "babe threads." Though I was not a participant when things really got out of hand.

It all began on one simple thread about Serena Williams. Some loved her as a sex symbol. Others like myself, merely stated she was too masculine and built like a middle linebacker. It was right before the NCAA tourney started. I came up with the brilliant idea of a "Babe Tourney bracket" game.

Each side got to nominate their favorite athlete, star, model, public figure from their side or camp. It was the "phat girls" versus the "model type" girls.

After all nominations were considered, with supporting pics to back up said nominees for each side, I ranked and created head to head brackets.

Each day their was a new showdown by seeding, one "phatty" versus one "model type." It lasted over a month and all the way to a final four and championship competition with one vote allowed per board member.

I am not Catholic, but this is my confessional. I can't get in trouble for that here I hope. It was at least 15 years ago

Ha, that was ME that started all that mess with the "babe threads." Though I was not a participant when things really got out of hand.

It all began on one simple thread about Serena Williams. Some loved her as a sex symbol. Others like myself, merely stated she was too masculine and built like a middle linebacker. It was right before the NCAA tourney started. I came up with the brilliant idea of a "Babe Tourney bracket" game.

Each side got to nominate their favorite athlete, star, model, public figure from their side or camp. It was the "phat girls" versus the "model type" girls.

After all nominations were considered, with supporting pics to back up said nominees for each side, I ranked and created head to head brackets.

Each day their was a new showdown by seeding, one "phatty" versus one "model type." It lasted over a month and all the way to a final four and championship competition with one vote allowed per board member.

I am not Catholic, but this is my confessional. I can't get in trouble for that here I hope. It was at least 15 years ago
Say three Hail Marys and give some money to your local food bank You are forgiven

Like nycfan I go back to NandO.net. Then Chen, etc. Found IC and mostly lurked the free bball board which I quit visiting a few years ago.Then the ZZL...

Still check the ZZL for the occasional interesting thread. And vtheel's one post a week thread just because. Talk about dedication.

Can't believe no one has mentioned ManhattanHeel. Or Bo.

Back