ZZLP impact on IC?

If Mack finishes with a 9+ win season this year and another winning season next year if he stays who’s to say his second tenure wasn’t a success? Rebuilt relationships with NC high school coaches, improved facilities and new HC will have blueprint of what works and what doesn’t (Galloway?). Wasn’t as successful as it could’ve been but Fedora left the program in a dumpster fire. What is 19’ and 20’ seasons like without Sam Howell?
Admittedly, the knowledge of this upcoming tram and season for me begins and ends with knowing I renewed my seats...but isn't 9 wins WILDLY optimistic? I sort of assumed 5 is a lot more likely than 9.

I checked out on football (even as someone who always put UNC football far above UNC basketball). I just can't be emotionally invested in it anymore.

Admittedly, the knowledge of this upcoming tram and season for me begins and ends with knowing I renewed my seats...but isn't 9 wins WILDLY optimistic? I sort of assumed 5 is a lot more likely than 9.

I checked out on football (even as someone who always put UNC football far above UNC basketball). I just can't be emotionally invested in it anymore.
Not with the schedule. With decent qb play and improved defense it’s not far out of the question. But I will say if Max Johnson turns the ball over a lot and defense hasn’t improved 5-7 isn’t out of the question either.

Last edited:

Not really. The over under is 7.5 (with -115 for the over and -105 for the under). That means it is very slightly more likely we have 7 regular season wins than 8, but it is very close.

We are certainly far, far more likely to have 9 wins than 5 wins -- especially if you add in a bowl game (which the season over/under win totals do not include).

The game @ Minnesota to start the season could have a big say. We are a 2.5 point underdog. If we win that game, then 9 wins is quite within reach with our schedule.

We have been a 7-5 program for over 75 years.

With the schedule we have this year another 7-5 season would be a reasonable goal

Not really. The over under is 7.5 (with -115 for the over and -105 for the under). That means it is very slightly more likely we have 7 regular season wins than 8, but it is very close.

We are certainly far, far more likely to have 9 wins than 5 wins -- especially if you add in a bowl game (which the season over/under win totals do not include).

The game @ Minnesota to start the season could have a big say. We are a 2.5 point underdog. If we win that game, then 9 wins is quite within reach with our schedule.
Seven (or 8 wins) against this year’s schedule means this team is mediocre-to-bad.

Nine wins against this year’s schedule warrants a giant “Meh.”

JMO, but I'll feel a lot more confident about the FB team once Harrell or Criswell replaces Johnson at QB.

We know you’ll have some issues with the offensive movement regardless of what it looks like!
There are different kinds of negative.

If the team isn't performing, then it's ok to discuss that and be critical.

I just don't want the BS, unrealistic negative bitching just to bitch. You know, the coach must be fired. X player isn't division 1 material. X player should have gone to state. Etc.

There's just no reason for that. It's just a sport being played by young men.

College football is extremely popular and profitable.

For media, magats, low iq family and friends, miserable ppl, gambler losers and that one guy at work you like that talks too much, yet is a version of all the other types I named....

Seven (or 8 wins) against this year’s schedule means this team is mediocre-to-bad.

Nine wins against this year’s schedule warrants a giant “Meh.”
North Carolina winning 9 games is never meh. We've done that exactly twice this millennium and only eight times since 1970. And trust me, there have been plenty of "meh" schedules in the past 54 years. For some reason, our fan base has no historical appreciation of our football success rate.

JMO, but I'll feel a lot more confident about the FB team once Harrell or Criswell replaces Johnson at QB.
Not me. That means there was an injury and the season is likely in the toilet. Both Connor and Jacoby have the annoying habit of throwing to the wrong colored jersey.

I honestly do not remember. What was the over/under prior to the last two seasons?

North Carolina winning 9 games is never meh. We've done that exactly twice this millennium and only eight times since 1970. And trust me, there have been plenty of "meh" schedules in the past 54 years. For some reason, our fan base has no historical appreciation of our football success rate.
I have an excellent historical understanding of our football “success rate.” I remember when seasons were 10 games, not 12.

Mack Brown is in the Hall of Fame. If his 6th season in Mack 2.0 is 9-3 against this horribly weak schedule, it’s “Meh” at best.
  • We’re talking 4 straight bowl losses (please don’t say, “We made a bowl;” all but the shittiest teams make bowls in this era)
  • 3 straight last half-season collapses
  • Some of the WORST defenses in Tar Heel history - year-after-year
  • Wasted the two best Tar Heel QB’s - NFL caliber QB’s
  • Minnesota 5-7 (3-6 in BIG 10 West for 6th); they made a bowl b/c of their graduation numbers and beat Bowling Green in the Quick Lane Bowl to finish 6-7
  • Charlotte 3-9 (2-6 AAC)
  • NC Central 9-3 (4-1 MEAC); made 1st round of FBS play-offs
  • James Madison 11-2 (7-1 Sun Belt); new HC who is new to program
  • d00k 8-5 (4-4); new HC who is new to program and used to coaching at elite programs with a crapload of talent
  • Pitt 3-9 (2-6); Pat Narduzzi is in his 10th year
  • Georgia Tech 7-6 (5-3); won Gasparilla Bowl against Central Florida
  • UVA 3-9 (2-6)
  • FSU 13-1 (8-0); Mike Norvell’s 5th season; absolutely bitch-slapped by UGA in bowl (lots of Seminoles sat out the bowl)
  • Wake 4-8 (1-7)
  • BC 6-6 (3-5); beat SMU in the Fenway Park Bowl to finish 7-6; new head coach who is new to the program
  • ncsulol 9-4 (6-2). Preseason #24. Our rival who has so owned us this century that they can chant at us, “Not our rival”
Calheel, where in that Murderers’ Row of the 2024 schedule is the FOURTH game the Heels should lose?
Hell, where’s the 3rd loss? In Mack’s 6th year with untold talent and depth in all “rooms!”

Well…..
  • we enter the season with uncertainty at QB (not a two-way battle; but a possible 3-way)
  • Uncertainty on both the OL and the D-Line
  • Uncertainty across the entire defense (it’s really worse than uncertainty) - it’s players returning who have only played on BAD defensive teams
  • Bad punting and kicking teams
I look at our schedule and I see 10-2 is possible; but, it’s UNC….so, 9-3…..then I look at our coaches and players…….7-5, maybe 5-7.

Two pieces of info coming out of Saturday’s scrimmage weren’t good:
  • Max Johnson scrambling/running for a 60-yard TD - Max IS NOT a running QB
  • Connor throwing 2 INT’s - our defense doesn’t force turnovers (see Max’s run - it’s still Mack’s crappy defense)

I have an excellent historical understanding of our football “success rate.” I remember when seasons were 10 games, not 12.

Mack Brown is in the Hall of Fame. If his 6th season in Mack 2.0 is 9-3 against this horribly weak schedule, it’s “Meh” at best.
  • We’re talking 4 straight bowl losses (please don’t say, “We made a bowl;” all but the shittiest teams make bowls in this era)
  • 3 straight last half-season collapses
  • Some of the WORST defenses in Tar Heel history - year-after-year
  • Wasted the two best Tar Heel QB’s - NFL caliber QB’s
  • Minnesota 5-7 (3-6 in BIG 10 West for 6th); they made a bowl b/c of their graduation numbers and beat Bowling Green in the Quick Lane Bowl to finish 6-7
  • Charlotte 3-9 (2-6 AAC)
  • NC Central 9-3 (4-1 MEAC); made 1st round of FBS play-offs
  • James Madison 11-2 (7-1 Sun Belt); new HC who is new to program
  • d00k 8-5 (4-4); new HC who is new to program and used to coaching at elite programs with a crapload of talent
  • Pitt 3-9 (2-6); Pat Narduzzi is in his 10th year
  • Georgia Tech 7-6 (5-3); won Gasparilla Bowl against Central Florida
  • UVA 3-9 (2-6)
  • FSU 13-1 (8-0); Mike Norvell’s 5th season; absolutely bitch-slapped by UGA in bowl (lots of Seminoles sat out the bowl)
  • Wake 4-8 (1-7)
  • BC 6-6 (3-5); beat SMU in the Fenway Park Bowl to finish 7-6; new head coach who is new to the program
  • ncsulol 9-4 (6-2). Preseason #24. Our rival who has so owned us this century that they can chant at us, “Not our rival”
Calheel, where in that Murderers’ Row of the 2024 schedule is the FOURTH game the Heels should lose?
Hell, where’s the 3rd loss? In Mack’s 6th year with untold talent and depth in all “rooms!”

Well…..
  • we enter the season with uncertainty at QB (not a two-way battle; but a possible 3-way)
  • Uncertainty on both the OL and the D-Line
  • Uncertainty across the entire defense (it’s really worse than uncertainty) - it’s players returning who have only played on BAD defensive teams
  • Bad punting and kicking teams
I look at our schedule and I see 10-2 is possible; but, it’s UNC….so, 9-3…..then I look at our coaches and players…….7-5, maybe 5-7.

Two pieces of info coming out of Saturday’s scrimmage weren’t good:
  • Max Johnson scrambling/running for a 60-yard TD - Max IS NOT a running QB
  • Connor throwing 2 INT’s - our defense doesn’t force turnovers (see Max’s run - it’s still Mack’s crappy defense)

Look at that link carefully. And then look at it again. If this team gets to 9 wins, you should dance a jig and thank the football gods.

I’ve never been a moderator of an Internet forum so I admit that I maybe don’t have the best perspective.

Still, I don’t get why IC took such a hard line against any political discussion. I don’t buy the “it’s a sports site first and foremost” logic either. It’s not like you get directed straight to the ZZL or ZZLP when you go to the site; you have to really go out of your way to navigate to those boards. Now I can understand why they would want to split ZZL and ZZLP into two boards to keep the ZZL for getting overrun with threads that are directly about elections, policies, etc. Occasionally though there are topics that aren’t directly political but the discussion might veer slightly into politics.

For example, the new UNC Chancellor is obviously something people associated with the university are interested in, but there’s also a political element to that situation. The thread about it on the ZZL got promptly shut down because of politics. If you don’t like the way a topic like that is being discussed or disagree with some of the political stances related to it or you’re afraid that an anonymous person on the internet is being too mean about it, how fricking hard is it to simply not look at that particular post? I don’t get it.
It's all about the mods. Other 247 boards don't have any issues with Political discussions. The brickyard wants to make it a safe place for Conservatives to post per one mod but other than that

Back