GOP slouches into the Crazy -IMMIGRATION Edition | Trump Won’t Condemn Bomb Threats in Springfield OH

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 781
  • Views: 16K
  • Politics 
(Cont’d)

“…
One of the first prominent right-wing influencers to interact with the theme retweeted a post Saturday afternoon linking the claim to Vice President Kamala Harris’s supposed policies. Soon a second influencer, Andrew Torba, a Christian nationalist who is the founder and CEO of the far-right social network Gab, posted the link to the Springfield Facebook post. Other influencers began posting about it Sunday, and the first influencer retweeted a post by an account whose social media feed is full of racial slurs. By Monday afternoon before the debate, some 159 right-wing influencers — and 23 Republican politicians, candidates or party officials — had discussed the meme online.

The allegation that Haitians in Springfield were killing waterfowl was spread by the conservative Federalist website, which on Tuesday published a report from the Clark County sheriff’s office showing that a local resident told a police dispatcher in a call that he had witnessed four Haitian migrants, each carrying a goose.

… Long before messages circulated on social media, Springfield city manager Bryan Heck wrote a letter to Sens. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) and Tim Scott (R.-S.C.). “Springfield, Ohio is facing a significant housing crisis in our community,” Heck wrote, an issue he attributed to what he said was an influx of up to 20,000 Haitians into “a community of just under 60,000 previous residents.” [JD Vance was copied on the letter]

… Republican elected officials at the highest levels of government embraced the memes. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) posted his version, as did Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), Rep. Marjorie Taylor-Greene (R-Ga.), and Arizona’s conservative firebrand and Senate candidate Kari Lake.

… Over the summer, the white-supremacist neo-Nazi group Blood Tribe marched through Springfield carrying swastika flags to protest the Haitian population in town. A member of that group attended a city meeting in late August to warn that “crime and savagery will only increase with every Haitian you bring in,” he said.

But on Tuesday evening, just hours before the debate, Nathan Clark, the father of the 11-year-old boy whose death last summer heightened anti-immigrant tensions in Springfield, approached the podium at another city meeting to deliver a very different message.

“I wish that my son Aidan Clark was killed by a 60-year-old White man,” he said, noting how “blunt” his words must seem.

“If that guy killed my 11-year-old son, the incessant group of hate-spewing people would leave us alone.” Clark, a Democrat, added that “the last thing that we need is to have the worst day of our lives violently and constantly shoved in our faces, but even that’s not good enough for them. They take it one step further.”

… Asked for details about the concerns of Vance’s Ohio constituents that the senator had cited, his spokesperson Luke Schroeder responded with a statement demanding Harris apologize for border policies that he said were responsible for the deaths of innocent people.

… Seemingly overnight, the same forums that days ago were preoccupied with an imagined Venezuelan takeover of Colorado shifted to fearmongering about Haitians in Ohio. In these forums, the racism is overt, such as memes of Trump in a suit carrying kittens to safety while being pursued by a mob of shirtless Black men.

… The debunked claims about Haitian refugees aren’t “just nonsense,” Belew warned: “The people spreading this rhetoric either know exactly what they’re doing, or they should know. But violence follows. Every time.”

There were panics about refugees eating rats in the 1980s. These were quickly followed by hate crimes against refugees, spearheaded by white power activists but employing local communities incited by that rhetoric, she said.

… By Tuesday, the Arizona GOP had erected billboards around the Phoenix area: “EAT LESS KITTENS. Vote Republican!”“
It’s terrifying how deeply connected mainstream GOPers, all the way up to the top of their ticket, have become to the darkest, most depraved corners of the right wing disinformation network.

It’s terrifying how deeply connected mainstream GOPers, all the way up to the top of their ticket, have become to the darkest, most depraved corners of the right wing disinformation network.
Yep, really the point of sharing the article.

Yep, really the point of sharing the article.
Another really good article about this — https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/12/business/trump-misinformation-social-media-moderation/index.html

The Republican nominee for president went on live TV and presented an unhinged, debunked Facebook rumor as fact. When corrected (several times) by a moderator, Donald Trump doubled down: “The people on television say their dog was eaten by the people that went there.”

“They’re eating the dogs,” quickly became a punchline among commentators who understand that the whole story about Haitian immigrants eating people’s pets in Ohio was a lie, rooted in a well-established racist history.

It’s the kind of outrage-bait that, while disgusting, is hardly unexpected on Facebook these days.

But the claim’s elevation to the presidential debate stage underscores a grim reality about the internet in 2024: Misinformation is everywhere, platforms are giving up on moderation and AI is making it all worse.

Trump’s debate performance “was like a 4chan post come to life,” said CNN’s Jake Tapper.

"Has there ever been a better microcosm of our Trumpified politics? A small town, strained by a wave of new migrants, thrust into the national spotlight by opportunistic politicians and conservative hucksters, churned through a balkanized media ecosystem that lets false rumors spread like weeds. Trump says he wants to protect these communities. He ends up dividing them, inflaming tensions within them, all while using them as political pawns."

The GQP does this racist made-up crisis shit every election cycle. Last time it was CRT is being taught to the children and of course there is always a migrant horde coming across the border to rape your women, murder your family, take your jobs... And now they are going with immigrants are eating your pets.

I'll say the same thing about the immigrants eating your pets bull shit that I said about their claim that CRT was being taught in K-12 - And that is - Practically every god damn person in this country has a cell phone with a camera and they take phots and make videos of the most ridiculous and mundane stuff everyday, but not a single photo or video of CRT being taught or immigrants eating pets/local geese has every been taken. And the stupid ass GQP base and people who "don't really follow politics but heard" eat the bs up every time.

Fuck the racist GQP and the trash that continues to support it.

I used to work with a guy born in the Philippines and a girl born in Vietnam, and they both ate dog pretty regularly growing up before moving to the States.
I was in the Philippines last month. Never saw dog being eaten. But, dear God, The dogs were everywhere. You couldn’t walk down the street without seeing a minimum of 10 stray dogs

Does no one in St. Donald of Mar-a-Lago's orbit not realize these AI images are actually ridiculing the insanity that is MAGA?
It's about turning out the vote at this point. In this particular instance, it means leering the meme bros have their fun till they get vested enough in the process that they actually get up lazy asses up off their parents couches and go vote. Unfortunately.

Bomb threats reported at multiple buildings in Springfield, Ohio​

The threat was sent via email "to multiple agencies and media outlets."

“… Though it is not yet known if they are connected, the threat comes after baseless rumors spread online in the wake of viral social media posts claiming Haitian migrants were abducting people's pets in Springfield order to eat them. The rumors were amplified by right-wing politicians, including former President Donald Trump and his running mate Sen. JD Vance. …”

I was in the Philippines last month. Never saw dog being eaten. But, dear God, The dogs were everywhere. You couldn’t walk down the street without seeing a minimum of 10 stray dogs
My mother was born in the Philippines back when it was an American colony and lived there until she was 12. While I was growing up, she never once served us dog. When I was growing up our dog, Lassie--she was a collie--was hit by a car. My Dad scooped her up and we went to the vet's office. I thought we were going to get Lassie patched up. We weren't. Lassie was euthanized. When we got home, I personally dug the hole in the back yard under the apple tree while my older brother made a wooden cross and my older sister used her wood burning kit to write Lassie's name on the cross. No where in that series of events did my mother ever suggest that we eat Lassie.

Last edited:
My mother was born in the Philippines back when it was an American colony and lived there until she was 12. While I was growing up, she never once served us dog. When I was growing up our dog, Lassie--she was a collie--was hit by a car. My Dad scooped her up and we went to the vet's office. In thought we were going to get Lassie patched up. We weren't. Lassie was euthanized. When we got home, I personally dug the hole in the back yard under the apple tree while my older brother made a wooden cross and my older sister used her wood burning kit to write Lassie's name on the cross. No where in that series of events did my mother ever suggest that we eat Lassie.
Off topic, but what part of the Philippines? Wife’s dad was born in Cebu and she still has family there

Last edited:
Off topic, but what part of the Philippines? Wife’s dad was born in Cebu and she still has family there
She grew up in Tuguegarao, in Northern Luzon, which, at the time was a small town. How small, you say? Small enough that her parents went to a hospital in Apari, on the Northern coast of Luzon, for her birth. My mother grew up fluent in both English and Tagalog. Once when I was talking to my father's cousin--years after my mother died--who was an university English professor his entire professional life, with one four year exception, I told him my mother was fluent in Tagalog. He just sighed and said, "I wish I knew that when she was alive." Even among the most enlightened among them, the routine and societal dismissal of women by men of my father's generation was depressingly common. The one four year period when this man was not a student or English professor, was WW2, when he was (a) a student at the Oriental Language Institute at Colorado State University and (b) a translator of intercepted and decoded Japanese radio traffic. First time I ever played the game "Dictionary" was with this guy. He won.

Trump won’t drop the lie and tries to spin it into a broader anti-immigrant campaign story:

IMG_2786.jpeg

IMG_2787.jpeg

Back