Harris v. Trump Debate Thread | DEBATE DISCUSSION THREAD

The tension between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris during their first–and likely only–presidential debate Tuesday night was obvious even during commercial breaks, according to pool reporter Sara Cook of CBS News.

Accordingto Cook, as soon as the debate cut to commercial, Trump “turned towards the exit, gave a big sigh through closed lips, and walked off stage without looking at Harris.” Harris, meanwhile, immediately began taking notes. “She wrote continuously for the entire first two minutes of the break, occasionally bringing one hand to her chin or brushing hair behind her ear.” She remained focused on reviewing notes for another minute before taking a sip of water and placing her hands in front of her.

“Trump walked back onstage 30 seconds before the end of break. He did not look at Harris, she did not look at him. Harris made small adjustments to her collar. Both candidates looked straight ahead until the program restarted. Again, no words were spoken.”

In another off-camera moment during a commercial break, “Harris closed her notepad and walked immediately off stage without even glancing at Trump.” Trump, on the other hand, “lingered for about 10 more seconds before slowly making his way off stage.”

Shortly before the end of the commercial break, “Trump re-emerged on stage, wrote one thing down on a slip of paper, and closed his pen.” Cook added that seconds later, “Harris came onto the stage and wrote something down on her notepad. They did not even look at each other. Trump looked forward and adjusted his coat and tie. In the entire commercial break, no words were spoken other than the countdown to air time.”

Did they shake hands after the debate? I was watching on MSNBC & they cut to the studio after Trump's closing statement.

Harris finally used what everyone knew would work but hadn't beeen used until now. Direct criticism of his past shittery with well-timed aggression and not backing down. Both Hillary and Joe tried the "lets be nice and professional" route. Sure they'd get their small quips in here and there but by and large they just let him do his thing and ignored his shittry. Harris OTOH was ready with all torpido tubes loaded and flooded. When he said something she was opening those outer doors and ploting a solution then fired when it was her turn to respond.

Was she perfect...fuck no. In fact she started shaky and dodged several questions and didn't directly anwser some that didn't require an expounded response but caught the downhill as she was powershifting from 3rd to 6th then after the break she hit ludicrous speed and trump's cuisinart crapped out.

It was a brilliant use of employing the Art of War strategy in a shittastic debate

Watching the debate with my husband was a revelation — he is engaged in politics but so loathes Trump that he actively avoids most of the Trump speeches and social media I consume. I sort of made him let me explain the pet eating back-story ahead of the debate because (a) my husband is the one who first read and got me to read the NYT story on Haitian migrants in Springfield Ohio (before the pet-eating lies) and (b) I thought it HAD to come up somehow tonight, though I didn’t think Trump would dive into it so early or so directly. I more expected a wink and nod reference.

Anyway, to my husband a lot of what I would call standard Trump rally rabbit holes were eye-opening. My husband was laughing repeatedly at how insane Trump sounded and asking what Trump was even talking about.

Hopefully a lot of other normal people who don’t regularly consume Trump’s insanity had a similar experience tonight.
His crazy is now out there for everyone to see; it was a peek into his rallies and "Truth" account. No one can hide behind ignorance. If they vote for him, they are knowingly voting for crazy. One the one hand, I think this makes it more likely Kamala will win. On the other hand, sadly, millions of Americans will knowingly vote for crazy. That is bad for our country.

He didn’t lose it.

For Trump, a tie is a win.
You’re a complete fool. Yesterday all the national polls indicated a virtual TIE 50/50 going into the debate (event in your terminology). A “tie” last night does NOT equate to a win. But that’s beside the point. The point is, it was NOT a “tie”. Harris won 49-0 pitched a shut out.

Last edited:
Back