Stock Market/Investing/Fin Planning Catch-All

• Thread starter Thread starter heelslegup
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 206
  • Views: 5K
  • Off-Topic 
Yes, think of a pyramid where the base is the boglehead 3 fund portfolio, then sector specific ETFs where I want more exposure, and individual stocks at the top.
Just curious, what % our outside of your 3 fund portfolio? And what sectors/stocks are you eyeballing?

Just curious, what % our outside of your 3 fund portfolio? And what sectors/stocks are you eyeballing?
I'd say my goal would be 60% boglehead, 25% targeted ETFs, 15% individual stocks. I need to do some rebalancing due to winners on the individual stocks (eg: NVDA, COST) but letting them ride out for now. VHT (Vanguard Healthcare) has been a good sector ETF, I also have VBR(small cap), VO (mid-cap), & VPU (public utilities). A lot of these sector funds have been in my portfolio for 10-15+ years - they are boring but have paid off over the long run. A criticism of VTI is that it is so heavily weighted toward the top 7/10 stocks...so these are a way to diversify more.
If you are just starting out - focus on the base of the pyramid - get the boglehead portfolio setup and then use dividends/new money coming in to continue building upwards.

I'd say my goal would be 60% boglehead, 25% targeted ETFs, 15% individual stocks. I need to do some rebalancing due to winners on the individual stocks (eg: NVDA, COST) but letting them ride out for now. VHT (Vanguard Healthcare) has been a good sector ETF, I also have VBR(small cap), VO (mid-cap), & VPU (public utilities). A lot of these sector funds have been in my portfolio for 10-15+ years - they are boring but have paid off over the long run. A criticism of VTI is that it is so heavily weighted toward the top 7/10 stocks...so these are a way to diversify more.
If you are just starting out - focus on the base of the pyramid - get the boglehead portfolio setup and then use dividends/new money coming in to continue building upwards.
If you only do 60% bogleheads, can you call it boglehead? The other 40% of your portfolio is the antithesis of what boglehead believes. Not saying it’s wrong, I just got a kick out of you saying 60% boglehead.

To me that’d be like saying you’re 60% faithful to your wife (or similar), in that if you only do it 60% of the time, can’t really claim it.

Do some of you buy-hold/index/passive/diversify folks have any "fun" money for something a little more speculative? If so, what %?

For example, maybe you are a bogle-head and have your allocation of x% bonds(moneymarket) and x% broadUS and x% REIT or International, do you put aside 5 or 10% to actively trade anything like BTC or other speculative things, AI ETFs or India tech indexes?
I do a little bit of fun individual stock picking but I consider it separate from my overall investment portfolio, essentially as a hobby that would be similar to betting on sporting events. I may eventually get to the point where I choose to have a Boglehead-esque three-fund portfolio with domestic stock, international stock, and bond indexes but for now while I'm in my early 30's, I'm in 100% equities (Vanguard Total Stock Market and Fidelity Total Market, depending on account) across all of my retirement accounts and my taxable account. I figure I'll probably keep that 100% allocation for another 10-15 years at least. Investing is about the only place in my entire life where I'm extraordinarily risk-tolerant.

It's a very expensive trip. I generally plan on $1200-1400 a day for a family of four and $500 of that is tickets. Most people can only do it once every 3-5 years and coming out of COVID everybody who could do it did it. So I would expect some lull right now. Also, they really do nickel and dime you to death now with the line passes and all which is annoying. I barely wait in line when I'm there regardless of how crowded it is, but I drop about an extra $250 a day for that privilege. I can't imagine how bad the guest experience would be on a busy day having to wait in line half the day. The end result is either people are mad they had to wait in line too much or feel resentful they had to pay a premium not to. Some adjustments are definitely needed. From what I heard on the radio today Universal is doing even worse.
I recently watched a YouTube video of a couple who went to Tokyo Disney rather than DisneyLand or Disney World because it was significantly cheaper.

I recently watched a YouTube video of a couple who went to Tokyo Disney rather than DisneyLand or Disney World because it was significantly cheaper.
I wonder if they were in LA vs elsewhere. That's a loooong flight to LA, you are burning thru PTO/vacation hours unless you are fortunate enough to have lots of free time. And I wouldn't think lodging would be vastly different in price in orlando vs tokyo - WAG.

I wonder if they were in LA vs elsewhere. That's a loooong flight to LA, you are burning thru PTO/vacation hours unless you are fortunate enough to have lots of free time. And I wouldn't think lodging would be vastly different in price in orlando vs tokyo - WAG.
They weren’t in LA. They listed the flight times and flight costs.

Hotel costs in Tokyo that they quoted were significantly cheaper than in the US.

They could have been FOS.

I remember flying Portland, ME to Chicago to Tampa……long air travel with a 5 and 3 year-old (there are no flights to anywhere from Maine). I haven’t looked into going to Disney in decades……my guess is Americans (and Canadians) are willing to spending a crapload more than the Japanese or Europeans to go to Disney.

Long overdue. US has been paying higher prices to drug companies to subsidize Canada and Europe gettimg cheaper prices. Have long negotiated on Medicaid.

• The government estimates that the new prices could produce $6 billion in net savings for Medicare in 2026 alone, based on data from 2023.
  • It is a milestone in a controversial process that aims to make costly medications more affordable for older Americans, a policy the pharmaceutical industry has opposed.
  • It comes one day before the second anniversary of President Joe Biden’s signature Inflation Reduction Act....,,
Here are the negotiated prices for a 30-day supply of the 10 drugs, along with their list prices based on 2023 prescription fills, according to a Biden administration fact sheet Thursday. Notably, what Medicare and beneficiaries pay for a drug is often much less than the list price, which is the what a wholesaler, distributor or other direct purchaser paid a manufacturer for a medication before any discounts.

• Eliquis, made by Bristol Myers Squibb – $231.00 negotiated price, $521 list price
  • Jardiance, made by Boehringer Ingelheim and Eli Lilly – $197.00 negotiated price, $573.00 list price
  • Xarelto, made by Johnson & Johnson – $197.00 negotiated price, $517.00 list price
  • Januvia, made by Merck – $113.00 negotiated price, $527.00 list price
  • Farxiga, made by AstraZeneca – $178.50 negotiated price, $556.00 list price
  • Entresto, made by Novartis – $295.00 negotiated price, $628.00 list price
  • Enbrel, made by Amgen – $2,355.00 negotiated price, $7,106.00 list price
  • Imbruvica, made by AbbVie and J&J – $9,319.00 negotiated price, $14,934.00 list price
  • Stelara, made by Janssen – $4,695.00 negotiated price, $13,836.00 list price
  • Fiasp and NovoLog, made by Novo Nordisk – $119.00 negotiated price, $495.00 list price

Last edited:
I’m in a situation where I’m fortunate enough to not really worry about what I pay for drug prescriptions and honestly I don’t pay close attention when I do have a prescription. But my wife recently had surgery. I went to get the prescriptions filled. For the first time in my life, when I picked up the drug prescriptions, the pharmacist said l, your cost today for these 3 medicines is $0.00. I looked at her like she was crazy.

Now this is probably more to do with my healthcare plan, but I’ve had the same plan for a long time, and never have I had to pay NOTHING. So when people ask me what I think of how this presidency has managed healthcare, I have NO COMPLAINTS.

ETA: I also posted this in the more appropriate drug prescription costs thread now.

Long overdue. US has been paying higher prices to drug companies to subsidize Canada and Europe gettimg cheaper prices. Have long negotiated on Medicaid.

• The government estimates that the new prices could produce $6 billion in net savings for Medicare in 2026 alone, based on data from 2023.
  • It is a milestone in a controversial process that aims to make costly medications more affordable for older Americans, a policy the pharmaceutical industry has opposed.
  • It comes one day before the second anniversary of President Joe Biden’s signature Inflation Reduction Act....,,
Here are the negotiated prices for a 30-day supply of the 10 drugs, along with their list prices based on 2023 prescription fills, according to a Biden administration fact sheet Thursday. Notably, what Medicare and beneficiaries pay for a drug is often much less than the list price, which is the what a wholesaler, distributor or other direct purchaser paid a manufacturer for a medication before any discounts.

• Eliquis, made by Bristol Myers Squibb – $231.00 negotiated price, $521 list price
  • Jardiance, made by Boehringer Ingelheim and Eli Lilly – $197.00 negotiated price, $573.00 list price
  • Xarelto, made by Johnson & Johnson – $197.00 negotiated price, $517.00 list price
  • Januvia, made by Merck – $113.00 negotiated price, $527.00 list price
  • Farxiga, made by AstraZeneca – $178.50 negotiated price, $556.00 list price
  • Entresto, made by Novartis – $295.00 negotiated price, $628.00 list price
  • Enbrel, made by Amgen – $2,355.00 negotiated price, $7,106.00 list price
  • Imbruvica, made by AbbVie and J&J – $9,319.00 negotiated price, $14,934.00 list price
  • Stelara, made by Janssen – $4,695.00 negotiated price, $13,836.00 list price
  • Fiasp and NovoLog, made by Novo Nordisk – $119.00 negotiated price, $495.00 list price
Is there a list comparing the negotiated price to what they are paying in Canada and Europe? That would be more revealing than comparing to some inflated list price.

I honestly don't understand Big Pharma's marketing directly to consumer Budgets (Billions) Don't 90% of people rely on their Physician to prescribe new drugs?

Back