Stock Market/Investing/Fin Planning Catch-All

• Thread starter Thread starter heelslegup
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 206
  • Views: 5K
  • Off-Topic 
Refusal to carry on a conversation is killing this thread -- I'm going to start deleting a lot of the off-topic arguments to try to get it back to its originally intended use.

Derailing threads repeatedly is not a great sign of wanting to be a contributing member of the community.

Refusal to carry on a conversation is killing this thread -- I'm going to start deleting a lot of the off-topic arguments to try to get it back to its originally intended use.

Derailing threads repeatedly is not a great sign of wanting to be a contributing member of the community.
You deleted several posts that were directly related to discussing today’s stock market news. Why? I understand and agree with the decision to remove personal banter, but why remove posts that are related to the original thread topic?

You deleted several posts that were directly related to discussing today’s stock market news. Why? I understand and agree with the decision to remove personal banter, but why remove posts that are related to the original thread topic?
They seemed hopelessly intertwined but apologies if I over-deleted in trying to restore the conversation to be on topic.

They seemed hopelessly intertwined but apologies if I over-deleted in trying to restore the conversation to be on topic.
Absolutely no apology necessary. I was just looking for clarification, it was definitely not to criticize. You are more than welcome to moderate however you see fit. I assume it is a pretty thankless job thank you for doing it.

You deleted my post that was a genuine attempt to engage a conservative poster with what economic data they see as showing an economy in catastrophe. Seems on topic and in line with trying to engage both sides.

I do appreciate all you bring, I just don’t understand how that post wasn’t topical.

Had a friend call me right after market opened. They are fairly new to this (started in early Jan 2023--lucky timing) and have been in tech, GE, CMG etc. So have made a lot past 18 months. But in panic today and wanted to get something if things turned around quickly. To get them off the phone I said buy FNGG and sell when it goes up 10%. They sold `it two hours later. Better lucky than good and why did I not do that!

The stock market goes up (sometimes more than 30%) and the stock market goes down. The long-term average is generally in the 5-10% range. I lose zero seconds of sleep with my investments. Diversification is the key, my friends. Indexed stock funds, annuities, money market accounts, cash, precious metals, investing in my business, and living below my means are all part of my "portfolio". I'm content with my "financial position" 365 days a year.

You deleted my post that was a genuine attempt to engage a conservative poster with what economic data they see as showing an economy in catastrophe. Seems on topic and in line with trying to engage both sides.

I do appreciate all you bring, I just don’t understand how that post wasn’t topical.
I am new here and this my second post.

But my rookie observation (on this board) is this thread is specifically about investing, financial planning, etc. What do you invest in and why, do you have any tips, things you have learned, etc.

The topic you are engaging in is more about overall market and the economy (also how politics can impact those things).

May I suggest the thread I have circled would be more appropriate for that convo?

IMG_6501.jpeg

I am new here and this my second post.

But my rookie observation (on this board) is this thread is specifically about investing, financial planning, etc. What do you invest in and why, do you have any tips, things you have learned, etc.

The topic you are engaging in is more about overall market and the economy (also how politics can impact those things).

May I suggest the thread I have circled would be more appropriate for that convo?

IMG_6501.jpeg
There are still a bunch of posts active on this thread about the economy at large versus simply about investing and mine was a response to someone else.

After seeing this rodeo a few times, I was pretty relaxed this morning. Moved around some of my cash holdings. Sold out of my Disney position (kicking myself for not cashing that profit when it was in the 110 range) and picked up a little bit META (had previously sold off when Zuck went all in on VR).
Still up a nice % for the year even with today's sell-off. Would have happily taken that gain in January.

Morningstar Gold Rated ETFs

US News Best Mutual Funds

US News Best ETFs

Morningstar Medalist Mututal Funds

Disney CFO saying that traffic at parks is sluggish because consumers are pinching pennies. Could it be--and I'm just spitballing--because ticket prices at parks have gotten incurably expensive ($129 per person, per day if you get multiple days) just to stand in line and get like in a myriad of other ways?. Or that the "moderate" priced hotel is north of $300 per night. Just a theory as I nibble on the $12 turkey leg.

Yep, I had faith that Iger would get that part of the business turned around (part of the reason I bought that stock when he came back). Think he has a few more issues to tackle, but think there going in the right direction. If the price drops below $80, I will definitely jump in.

PLTR has been an interesting company to follow and invest in. Founded by Peter Thiel (who has moved on) and a left-wing philosophy malor named Alex Karp who now runs Palantir.

Disney CFO saying that traffic at parks is sluggish because consumers are pinching pennies. Could it be--and I'm just spitballing--because ticket prices at parks have gotten incurably expensive ($129 per person, per day if you get multiple days) just to stand in line and get like in a myriad of other ways?. Or that the "moderate" priced hotel is north of $300 per night. Just a theory as I nibble on the $12 turkey leg.

It's a very expensive trip. I generally plan on $1200-1400 a day for a family of four and $500 of that is tickets. Most people can only do it once every 3-5 years and coming out of COVID everybody who could do it did it. So I would expect some lull right now. Also, they really do nickel and dime you to death now with the line passes and all which is annoying. I barely wait in line when I'm there regardless of how crowded it is, but I drop about an extra $250 a day for that privilege. I can't imagine how bad the guest experience would be on a busy day having to wait in line half the day. The end result is either people are mad they had to wait in line too much or feel resentful they had to pay a premium not to. Some adjustments are definitely needed. From what I heard on the radio today Universal is doing even worse.

Back